Sponsored by:

Stone guard removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 03:55 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 116 Posts
Default Stone guard removal

Finally tackled the job today, fingers crossed that it would not be excessively ugly. Overall, it went very well.

I used a hairdryer on "hot" to work some heat into the adhesive, and started peeling from the bottom front. I started slow so as not to rip the plastic or damage the paint. I was very happy that both sides were still pliable and came off in 1 piece.

The side that was most yellow was no doubt original. It did leave a fair bit of adhesive behind, and I used 3M adhesive remover to get it off.

The other side was in much better shape, having no doubt been replaced at some point. I was surprised to start removing it and find that it was body color, not clear (Arctic Silver). The newer side peeled off much easier. The whole job, taking it slow, was about 90 minutes.

Note to Self: Don't wait another 13 years to replace the next set!

Attached Images    
Old 03-03-2011, 04:17 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

which side was tougher? Pasenger side?

where are the "after" pics!?

oh, wait, I see you had one clear and one body colored guard.

Often the passenger side is in worse shape due to the extra heat that side gets from the oil tank and lines
Old 03-03-2011, 04:25 PM
911RufRT
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had mine done last month on my C4S. I was far to worried to srcew things up, so I had my bodyshop do my set. They only charged me $75 and they turned out perfect. Its a big improvement on black car after 15 years.
Old 03-03-2011, 04:44 PM
Resident Sicko
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Doing mine this weekend. I presume there is not such thing as a genuine Porsche replacement part...since I ordered mine from Pelican and part numbers were different and did nto start with "993".

The replacements also seem a bit thinner than the factory. Could it be technology producing a better part or creator saving cost?
Old 03-03-2011, 04:55 PM
nedsky
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Matt, I have the 3M stuff on my car as well and was wanting to do this but have had a little nervousness about it. Did that line that's visible in the 2nd photo where the stone guard ended wash or compound out? Ned
Old 03-03-2011, 07:53 PM
911RufRT
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Resident Sicko
Doing mine this weekend. I presume there is not such thing as a genuine Porsche replacement part...since I ordered mine from Pelican and part numbers were different and did nto start with "993".

The replacements also seem a bit thinner than the factory. Could it be technology producing a better part or creator saving cost?

My set were OEM replacements from Porsche.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:06 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

they shouldn't be thinner. I am pretty sure Pelican is selling the Porsche part which would be 14 mil.

The same 3M 14 mil Guards we sell here: http://fdmotorsports.net/index_files/Page423.htm

You definitely want the thicker 14 mil material on this part of the 993
Old 03-03-2011, 08:08 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nedsky
Matt, I have the 3M stuff on my car as well and was wanting to do this but have had a little nervousness about it. Did that line that's visible in the 2nd photo where the stone guard ended wash or compound out? Ned
the line can be polished out after the guard is removed.

The amount of work required to remove it will vary, depending on the care the finish has had over the years.
Often it is just a little buildup of goo and dirt from a decade+ of life
Old 03-03-2011, 08:31 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MarkD
which side was tougher? Pasenger side?

where are the "after" pics!?

oh, wait, I see you had one clear and one body colored guard.

Often the passenger side is in worse shape due to the extra heat that side gets from the oil tank and lines
"After" pics coming later this spring. Lot's of goodies over the winter: Euro Gt3 seats, Scroth 6 points, DAS rollbar, RS door cards, Daytona SW, full RS kit, Euro bumper, Euro signals front and rear, full 30K service, etc.

I am poor now.

Only regret is the car should have been done before the snow flew last fall. Instead, it's been at the shop since November and absolutely filthy, in and out.

I got mine from Darin and Mark at FD. Shop early, shop hard, shop often.

Originally Posted by nedsky
As stated by others, it's just crud leftover from accumulated dirt and wax. Most came off with the adhesive remover. Will be good as new with a quick hand glaze.

Best,

Matt
Old 03-03-2011, 09:41 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

How are your fingertips and fingernails holding up?
Old 03-03-2011, 11:46 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Raw like hamburger.

PS - may have a last minute business trip on Monday, missing the Touchette session.

Will let you know.

M

Quick Reply: Stone guard removal