993 Forum 1995-1998

Wet foot wells in 993 Targa

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 05:29 PM
Gordon Attar
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wet foot wells in 993 Targa

I'm buying a 993 Targa that the has been stored outside under a cover, all the foot wells are wet but not sitting in water, none of the rest of the interior carpet was wet above the floor line i.e behind rear seats, front of front footwells, below doors which is where I would look, after checking the drainage holes if it had a standard sunroof. I will dry the car out when I get it and hope its not a permanent problem but......... being a newbie to 993 Targa's where are the drainage holes and places to check with a targa roof.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:19 PM
lizSter
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's been sitting with wet carpets, it may have a mildew/mold issue. To me, this is a horrible smell that would require replacing carpets and foam. Check it out carefully before you buy.
Old 02-27-2011, 07:31 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Check out the tsb's and articles on my site www.pcarworkshop.com for Targa info to look for leaks, etc.

The front drains actually drain into the door seals, run inside the seal and then drain out the bottom...front foot wells sounds more like a front windshield leak. These cars often corrode at the bottom corners of the windshield, starting from behind the rubber seal. Was that checked?

I would pull the mats, then the foam at the bottom of the mats. That is glued down in spots so be careful, use a sharp knife to cut the carpet from the foam. Put a heater inside the car, open the roof a bit, and run it for a few days.

I had some major water issues (all solved now), and never had mildew or smells, I think both the foam and carpet is treated well.

Water is hard to track, so it might take some time. Are you sure the floor behind the seats is not wet? That is often a gathering point for the moisture from leaks.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 02-28-2011, 11:54 AM
Gordon Attar
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Guys, I will check everything suggested, there wasnt a musty smell or any sign of mould. Its in the front and back footwells

Regarding front windscreen it has the usual rust in the bottom corner, where would it leak in around there.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:56 AM
deekay911
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

*The usual rust* - yikes!! Run and run fast...
Old 02-28-2011, 12:22 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by deekay911
*The usual rust* - yikes!! Run and run fast...
Well it is the UK. You only have to look at cars there and they rust.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:36 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordon Attar
Thanks Guys, I will check everything suggested, there wasnt a musty smell or any sign of mould. Its in the front and back footwells

Regarding front windscreen it has the usual rust in the bottom corner, where would it leak in around there.
I did not pickup the rear wells as well...ok that could open up more possibilities. When checking for moisture, make sure you go under all the carpets to the foam underneath, and check the foam at the metal floor level...you can feel the moisture with your fingers.

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: Wet foot wells in 993 Targa