Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Hankook Evo or Sumi HTR Z III?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 12:42 PM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought a complete set of Hankook V12 evo's (after much research) that I will run in the spring. I'm hoping they hold up to all the hype.
Old 02-27-2011, 03:10 PM
Bob in NY
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by cannon1000
I know it's not in your list of choices. But I put Continental Extreme DW's on. Good tire and great price. Consumer Reports likes it as well.
Just got these same Continentals for the 993 and for the few hundred miles I've driven them I'm impressed, even in very low temps. I bought them at the TR for a similar price as the 2 brands mentioned here
Old 02-27-2011, 09:06 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I've got about 9K on the 'Kooks. Been in everything from desert heat to winter snow, with a few laps on the track both wet and dry for good measure, over the past year. Can't say a bad thing about them. With minimal camber they do show and oh-so slight wearing on the inside edge, maybe 1/32 at this point. Will probably swap them side to side in another 5K or so.

245/295-18, not that it matters.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:25 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by race911
I've got about 9K on the 'Kooks. Been in everything from desert heat to winter snow, with a few laps on the track both wet and dry for good measure, over the past year. Can't say a bad thing about them. With minimal camber they do show and oh-so slight wearing on the inside edge, maybe 1/32 at this point. Will probably swap them side to side in another 5K or so.

245/295-18, not that it matters.
Hey Ken, good feedback, what's your impression of the "Kooks" for ride quality and quietness?
Old 02-27-2011, 09:26 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 385 Posts

I was beginning to lean toward the Hankook's until reading Elonash's comments. There doesn't seem to be a consensus on the Hankook's on a 993 and there may not be enough data to decide on them, while there is plenty on the Sumi's. The tires will age out before wearing out, so I'd hate to throw money at something relatively unproven when there is something that's proven to be great for the same amount of money.

I don't need to buy immediately, so will wait to see what other comments come up. Thanks for all the input so far.
Old 02-27-2011, 09:37 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1pcarnut
Hey Ken, good feedback, what's your impression of the "Kooks" for ride quality and quietness?
Originally Posted by jimbo3
I was beginning to lean toward the Hankook's until reading Elonash's comments. There doesn't seem to be a consensus on the Hankook's on a 993 and there may not be enough data to decide on them, while there is plenty on the Sumi's. The tires will age out before wearing out, so I'd hate to throw money at something relatively unproven when there is something that's proven to be great for the same amount of money.

I don't need to buy immediately, so will wait to see what other comments come up. Thanks for all the input so far.
Uh........I read that comment too and have to ask "what the hell is full throttle performance/lack of?"

I'll submit that I've put mine through the largest range of use--100+F running last summer on the road at US legal speeds, 20F up in the Sierras the past couple of months when the roads have been clear, a wet-then-drying track day at Thunderhill a month ago to instruct on the way back from skiing.

Ride and noise are on par with any other good street tire I've encountered in the same diameter/size. (What I can say is absolutely a downgrade are the Michelin Pilot Sports on the 19" GT3 wheels I also use.)

And that track use? I'll remind everyone that my use of street tires on the track consists of less than 50 total miles in the past 20 years. I refuse to use them. But that day last month started out with rain. And I had a new-to-the-track 993 owner. So we went out in my car. Behaved fine, though we were 30 seconds/lap off pace. Later I took someone out when the track dried. I was still ~10 sec/lap off what I used to do with the old beat up Hoosiers. Grip was fine, predictable, slight push, no complaints. (Also understand the car was full soft on the PSS9s and the rear stabilizer is disconnected for the snow running this winter.)

I project at least 20K out of the rears. The S02s these replaced had 25K before I speared a rear with my trailer helper ramp and still had plenty of tread. So yeah I'm easy with my street driving.
Old 02-27-2011, 10:06 PM
jimbo3
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 385 Posts

Didn't mean to suggest I was discounting your post, Ken. In fact, I put greater weight on your opinion as I knew you have more experience than most by far. Still on the fence and, after reading reviews of Porsche owner's experiences here and on Tire Rack for both models I guess every tire has a few buyers who just couldn't seem to make the tire work for them for whatever reason.

For my limited skills and abilities, maybe I'm over-analyzing this or splitting hairs or both.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:58 PM
speedbump2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RDS928S
...The sumitomos HTRZ III are very slippery when hot at the track...
Agreed. I've had top-shelf street tires from many different manufacturers get greasy once they've gotten too hot on the track.

I wonder if they'd behave a little better if I ordered them shaved, then properly heat-cycled them, or if they will just get greasy anyway?

--Chuck--
Old 02-28-2011, 03:39 PM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After doing a lot of research, I went with the Hankook's. All the reviews seem to say they are quieter. I have them now and love them.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:49 PM
J.B.H.
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by J.B.H.
I have had sumi III's , two sets ...and now evo's... They are close but evo's are better...
Evo's are better in the wet and in the dry the feed back is more linear near the limit.
My car was a DD up until this winter..have put 55k mi ...
I will add...
* Regarding noise, evo's are quieter
* Evo's are stickier above 50° .
Evo's seem to harden more below 50° than Sumi's.
* Sumi rears gave me a 13-15k mi range.
* I like the look of evo's better...rounder shoulder (outer edge)...
Sumi's square'er shoulder
Old 02-28-2011, 05:09 PM
targagr
Pro

Have had Hankook's for one summer and bang for buck they a very good!
One thing i noticed, is that they took some time to "break in".. when i first put them on they were very "soft"...they did feel weird but once i put some miles on them they felt allot sharper.
Although they dont compare to the Michelins i had before, for the money they are great.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:20 PM
flatsixforme
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had both and driven both on the street/AX/track. My impression is that they are both good bang for the buck as everyone has said and both will perform just fine on a street or track setting. Will you set a new lap record...no. Will they be consistent/predictable with good wear characteristics...mostly.

I'll qualify this last statement. The Sumi's seem to have a stiffer sidewall and can be run at a lower hot pressure without exceeding the acceptable rollover. The Hankook's have a softer sidewall which requires higher rear pressures in a track setting to keep from rolling over too much...from my experience I would say 3-4lbs more is needed. Advantage = Sumi's for track but Kooks for street if looking for a softer ride.

Also worth noting is that Sumi's get greasy if pushed much easier than the Hankooks. The Kooks can get greasy too but recover much better than the Sumis after taking it easy for a bit. Advantage = Hankooks

Price...when I looked the Sumi's were significantly cheaper so advantage = Sumi.

Size...I wanted a 245/35 for the front and when I was looking the Kooks were the only one of the two that offered that size so, if size matters...advantage = Kooks.

Speed...assuming you get the rear pressures dialed in properly I think the Kooks are a bit faster tire on the track but not by much. I don't have back to back empirical data to support this, just my impression.

For me...I'd buy the Kooks over the Sumi's if the extra $$$ didn't matter.

Hope that helps someone.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:26 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

To be honest, unless you do lots of track/DE use and you are a highly experienced track/DE racer, I doubt you'll be able to discern too much difference between either the 'Kooks or the Sumis.

Both are competent, both are highly regarded, both offer substantial bang for the buck. Don't over think this and get paralysis through analysis. Either is a good choice that you'll be satisfied with, so pick one and enjoy.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:48 PM
BLT4SPD
Pro

No input on the Sumi's, but I have been VERY happy with the Hankooks on my C2.
Old 02-28-2011, 09:39 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by speedbump2
Agreed. I've had top-shelf street tires from many different manufacturers get greasy once they've gotten too hot on the track.

I wonder if they'd behave a little better if I ordered them shaved, then properly heat-cycled them, or if they will just get greasy anyway?

--Chuck--
TireRack will heat-cycle them for you.

Quick Reply: Hankook Evo or Sumi HTR Z III?