Sponsored by:

Hydraulic Belt Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 09:32 PM
johzev
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydraulic Belt Replacement

My 97 C2 was at the dealer for service today and the tech suggested replacement of the hydraulic belt. The belt is original, 63,997 miles. They quoted four hours to R&R the belt? So, what is the correct service interval for this belt? Any actual experience with this belt failing and at how many miles?
Old 02-25-2011, 11:20 PM
C4SJOHN
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

"Hydraulic belt"? Is that your power steering belt ?.......
Old 02-26-2011, 12:25 AM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

If that is the power steering pump belt, I don't see any pressing need to replace it unless it is broken. When it does break, you just lose the power assist, the car will still steer safely, but will just take more effort at low speeds. Driving at highway speeds, you probably wouldn't even notice a broken PS pump belt.

Aside from the need to change it, a blind man with one arm should be able to change it in four hours. I would stay far away from that dealer.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:56 AM
porschemikeandnancy
Pro

Nah, the hyraulic belt is the device men wear when they develop a hernia. It keeps all your internal parts inside your abdomen.

The reason is takes 4 hours to replace is the guy wearing the belt is in so much pain, he can't see straight and he has to work very very slowly.
Old 02-26-2011, 09:42 AM
Robin 993DX
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No need to replace the PS belt at 60k miles. I have seen many at over 120k during engine out that still is in good condition. The PS belt used in the 993 is way over engineered to last more than a life time, the width of the belt is almost twice as wide as any standard timing belt. It is normally a replacement item when you have an engine out clutch replacement.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:14 PM
johzev
Rennlist Member

This is forum is wonderful for those with little mechanical knowledge. Thanks for the info. Used an independent garage for years in Grand Rapids MI. In the past year the longterm mechanic left to take a job repairing bmw bikes. Have been sort of lost since.

Quick Reply: Hydraulic Belt Replacement