Major work for 993

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 04:25 AM
doridori
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Major work for 993

I have a 1998 993 C2S.

Recently, I have a power steering leak and looks like replacing the entire power system is the only fix. The work seems to be a full day of work and will cost a few thousand dollars.

I also learn about the "secondary air injection" problem for this car and this fix will also cost about few thousand dollars.

I just want to know more about any kind of common problem for this car in the future that will cost me more than a thousand dollar so that I can anticipate the work and the money that I need to spend on it.

Thanks in advance for everybody's input and advice.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:59 AM
DanL993
button queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't mean to be harsh here, but if you bought one of these without knowing this might be in your future then I'm not sure we can help you much.

As for what's next, that would depend greatly upon mileage and prior care.

The best insurance is to start learing how to do a lot of this yourself. This forum is a wonderful place for help with all that.

That's the best I can do. Good luck.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:45 AM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Are you worrying about SAI CEL even though you don't have it? Not all cars get this.

You just have a leaking rack. Get it fixed, enjoy your car, take care of it, and stop worrying so much about what could go wrong in the future.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:59 AM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

PS, your stock shocks are blown as well....
Old 02-25-2011, 12:02 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by doridori

I just want to know more about any kind of common problem for this car in the future that will cost me more than a thousand dollar so that I can anticipate the work and the money that I need to spend on it.

you are in the right place. The archives are LOADED with information. it is highly recommended that you use the search to learn more. Nearly every topic has been covered before, including all the SAI issues, theories and various remedies, some that DON'T cost thousands, one that does.

If you still need clarification, you are more likely to get better information by then asking a specific question. Asking for more information as a blanket is pretty open ended and difficult to answer, especially for those of us that don't type very fast.

Welcome.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:03 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

PS, the Slippery Slope is potentially the most expensive of all.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:09 PM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The steering rack fix is only about $500 if you do it yourself. Heck, I'll do it for you for $1000. The SAI "fix" is only needed if your car is throwing "Check Engine" lights for that issue. When it comes up, many have successfully had them cleaned out for around $1500+/-. This is not a permanent solution but depending on how many miles you drive could last you many many years.

Some like to have the Porsche Dealer service their car with parts that include the Porsche markup and feel good about tucking that expensive receipt into their folder (and telling their friends). If that's you - go for it. If you want to save some money and learn a few things, this place is a great place (or what )
Old 02-25-2011, 12:24 PM
Redblurr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe that someone here recently was trying to rebuild their own powers steering rack with a rebuild kit. Kit cost was around $65. Do a search on it. This probably won't make you feel good but, Every time I've taken the car to a mech, the cost was a minimum of $500. Just minor stuff. I say just put $5000 away in a P-car bank account, that way you will always be prepared. GL.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:40 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 1998 993 C2S.

Recently, I have a power steering leak and looks like replacing the entire power system is the only fix. The work seems to be a full day of work and will cost a few thousand dollars.
I hope you got a 2nd. opinion, and maybe a 3rd.
Where I live, there are many independent Porsche shops. All are sufficiently competent. But there can be a wide arc in the scope and price of the job they are quoting. I would want more inputs before I decided what to do.
Just my $.02.

As far as worrying about what might be next: a buddy of mine likes to say, "Worry is just a down payment on trouble you ain't got yet."
Old 02-25-2011, 01:08 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 886 Likes on 584 Posts

I have a 1998 993 C2S.

I also learn about the "secondary air injection" problem for this car and this fix will also cost about few thousand dollars.

don't have this done at a dealer.
post your neighborhood location and someone local will point you to a good indy shop if you don't want to do the work yourself.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:38 PM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by cgfen
don't have this done at a dealer.
post your neighborhood location and someone local will point you to a good indy shop if you don't want to do the work yourself.
OP is in Los Angeles, so depending on what part, north or south, there are a number of quality wrenches including

Tony Callas in Torrance.
Search will reveal many more, including the ukelele playing bruddah from da islands.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:54 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Alas, I dunno if a few thousand constitutes major work, especially if you're taking it to a dealer. If you're in L.A., there are some great wrenches here, and I'd be happy to recommend the boys over at "200 N. Motorworks" over near West Hollywood, but Porsches aren't cheap. I suspect you knew this going in.

The upside is you may be driving the most fun you can have on four wheels

Quick Reply: Major work for 993