Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Wanted to buy - Guards/Motorsport LSD?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 09:30 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Wanted to buy - Guards/Motorsport LSD?

Hi all,

If anyone has an old 40/65 Porsche Motorsport LSD for G50 they want to cash up please let me know as im interested (have Florida shipping address - will pay freight).

Alternatively if anyone has a refurbished usnit as above or a Guards re plated unit I would also be interested in these.

Just PM me...

Thanks and appreciated.

Cheers
M
Old 02-25-2011, 05:22 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Bump anyone?
Old 02-25-2011, 05:40 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Pretty rare items. I was lucky enough to get a new Guards from Rennlister "Jean", but that was a freak occurrence.Try PMing "Glen" as he seems to often have a treasure trove of parts or knows someone who does. Also, shoot a PM to Chris Cervelli aka "Premier Motorsp"; he, too, seems to have parts like this.

Good luck.

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 02-25-2011 at 06:34 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-25-2011, 06:32 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Macca,

Post on the 996 GT3 forum as well, someone that is upgrading to a Guard may have their original available, would need a rebuid but could work for you.

I have one out of a 997 GT3......
Old 02-25-2011, 07:01 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Thanks Mark and Steven.

Steven I looked into the 997GT3 units with Guards last year. The ramp angle seems lower on stock 997 at 25/65? The factory 996/997 GT3 LSD has a notorious reputation for only llastling low km (at least on the track). Paul at Guards was reliant on the ramp which he re uses otherwise costs spirals. He said the 997GT3 cases arent quite as solid as the older one but more than enough for the street.

Ive been staying away from the 996/997 LSDs because of the ramp angles (I would prefer 40/65) - especially as I then have to pay Guards to rebuild the unit. Essentially the total price ex Guards would have to come out 20% lower than the 1900 usd for a new Motorsports LSD to make it feasible....

But good idea - I will check the 996GT3 ramp angles and then post on that board....

Cheers
M
Old 02-25-2011, 09:14 PM
camlob
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi M, glad to see you're ok! A guards lsd is next on my list too! I am actually waiting for my brothers lsd which he has to send to Guards as a core. Its from a GT3 RS. Ill then have his rebuilt.
Old 02-25-2011, 09:50 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I think the 996 GT3 is what you want to find, it has 40/60 ramps..... A rebuild is about $900. The 997 GT3 is 28/40, the main issue is the very low preload of around 13lb. When Matt rebuilds them he increases the preload to something around 50 - 80lbs. The low preload causes the diff to have little or no effect as soon as there is only a small amount of wear on the friction surface.
Old 02-25-2011, 10:38 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Hi Camlob.
All good here. However CHCH is a different matter! Hows your project coming along? Did you get your cams and your fuel issue sorted?

Steven. Sorry it was Matt at Guards and looking back at my notes you are 100% correct on the 997 GT3 LSD. However - the 996 one definately has the ramp angles Id prefer. Thanks for the recommendation. Ill post over there :-)

Cheers
M
Old 02-25-2011, 11:39 PM
camlob
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

M - Would you believe John D is only shipping my cams now! So it will get here in a month. Good for him that he has a lot of work!

My fueling problem is not fuel at all. It is related to the wiring harness since there is no spark from one of the distributors. Unlike the 964, our cars wont run when one looses spark. My harness is arriving next week.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:31 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Cam. He may be slow be he seems to find time for emails which I like. I bought some used 993 cams off ebay on his instruction for $150 usd and he recieved them last week. He has started on the scratch built rockers already. He trhew in the adjusters. I dont think the cams take long from cores. Id expect everything will be ready in 10-12 days. I have a US address so will fedex from there to NZ. Most of the gaskets have been shipped from Pelican. I bought the eibach high lift spring set 20444.212 for $170. I researched them and they pass GO (european tuners mainly). Very good value. I think I will start the project in 6 weeks time. same time as LSD if I do do that. All the above including gaskets is the best $1200 usd Ive spent todate on something that makes hp - but then theres the install, chip and dyno yet to come!!! lets hope its worth it :-)

I assume you ordered new Beru leads and plugs? I just did this. Pushing iginition and 17 years old wires - probably not a bad move to buy factory fresh again.

I also recommend new Dissys, belts and bearings. I just did this and also alternator bearings. The later was sinply because I had it stripped down for painting and "while your in there". I think leads, plugs and distributors full overhaul is good for a 17 years old car you are about to increase demands on.

Let me know what you think of Johns handywork when it arrives. Im interested to know.

LSD has been a hard one. Ive sat on this for 2+ years. I have onee more engine drop (for cams) in te forseable future. this is the timee to do it if Im going too. Most people say LSD wont make much difference for street. I dont track this car much at all. My issue is labour is 12+ hrs plus shims, bolts and bearings and LSD. We are talking same money for rockers, cams, springs, gaskets and install for that job. Not sure its worth it for me. Might not be rich enough for that one. Well see....

Cheers
M

Quick Reply: Wanted to buy - Guards/Motorsport LSD?