Sponsored by:

Los Angeles Porsche Dismantler

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 11:26 AM
M Fig
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Los Angeles Porsche Dismantler

Just wanted to share an experience I had with these guys...

I bought a split grill decklid from Efron at LAPD...The price was fair for a full decklid with all working parts in good condition ready to paint. Efron was easy to deal with and the part showed up a few days after purchase and was as described.

After having it painted and installed, I noticed a grinding noise every time it lowered. Took it to my Porsche dealer and they said it needed a new motor and transmission...$1000. I called LAPD and Efron was no longer with the company so I'm thinking...oh crap...this is going to suck trying to get them to cover this...but to my surprise, they were awesome to work with.

I emailed the main email address and was replied by Peter, who asked what the problem was, I explained it, he sent a diagram to confirm the needed parts, got approval from his manager and sent the complete set up to me. Never asked for me to pay for anything...not even shipping.

I don't know about others experiences with these guys, but I won't hesitate to buy something from them in the future...KUDOS to them...
Old 02-21-2011, 11:57 AM
epj993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, that's a rare post for LAPD. Glad you had a good experience as most posts about them are just the opposite.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:50 PM
600RR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Furthermore, the stealer price is pretty high. LAPD would have been blasted for a similar price. There are two motors that can become noisy. The worm drive repair is about $10 (IIRC) and takes a couple of hours (well-documented DIY). I bought a replacement electric motor from LAPD for $100. That took about 15 minutes. Now both motors are quiet.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:55 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

I would also tell that dealer that said it's $1000 for the spoiler gearbox to take a hike!!! It's like $400 & takes about 5min to install.

Good to hear LAPD took care of you.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:55 PM
M Fig
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, I knew the dealer pricing was over the top. I installed both myself and it took 20 minutes.

I just knew that there were some negative posts here about LAPD and so I thought it was appropriate to mention it when they do it right.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:03 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by M Fig
Yeah, I knew the dealer pricing was over the top. I installed both myself and it took 20 minutes.

I just knew that there were some negative posts here about LAPD and so I thought it was appropriate to mention it when they do it right.
+1 for keeping it fair. Glad you had a good experience.

Quick Reply: Los Angeles Porsche Dismantler