Sponsored by:

Help: Want to take my car to the track in the Bay Area

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2011, 10:34 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I stand by my recommendation of AutoX first. I concur that with most PCA clubs and an instructor in the passenger seat, you won't be doing anything silly.

However, not all PCA and not all other car clubs take the instruction as seriously. Additionally, regardless of whether you have Schumacher himself in the non-steering seat, if someone spins out in front of you, some of the skills used in AutoX could save you, your car, or those around you. Odds are pretty slim of anything catastrophically screwy in Green, but as you move up through the ranks you probably won't want to go back to AutoX (personal opinion). Better to get the skills now.
Old 02-20-2011, 10:56 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 525 Likes on 347 Posts
Smile Auto X

I tried Auto X, hated it, couldn't see a path through the cones...I went to Bondurant for 4 days to gather some experience, great move on my part. 5 1/2 hours per day behind the wheel + class room, worth every penny!!!
Old 02-20-2011, 11:06 PM
asofine
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Hmmm...now I'm not at all sure!!!

Again, all I'm really looking for is a fun afternoon and to pick up some things (i.e driving skills) I didn't have before. I'm not particularly price-sensitive (would obviously rather spend $200 than $500, but whatever) - my main consideration here is merely having an enjoyable experience.

Bonus points to anybody who can set out the greatest itinerary for a n00b who wants to take his car to the track for the first time!

Thanks everyone, you've all been very helpful!!
Old 02-20-2011, 11:49 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Hmmm...now I'm not at all sure!!!
To be clear, I'm NOT trying to scare you off or suggest you are doing anything silly. GET OUT THERE AND HAVE A GREAT TIME! These cars love to be driven on the track, and there are few legal things more fun. All I'm saying is investing in some car control basics is a good thing. AutoX is a good and relatively cheap way, but a Skippy or Bonderant school would be great as well.

Quick Reply: Help: Want to take my car to the track in the Bay Area