Sponsored by:

What is a perfect vacation to Europe? Has to be Porsche related

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 07:22 PM
camlob
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is a perfect vacation to Europe? Has to be Porsche related

I am planning a trip to Europe for this year. I want to sched my itinerary with motorsports related sites or events. I am thinking of the Porsche museum, Nurbugring and the Classic Le Mans.

Any events or places in Italy?
Old 02-19-2011, 07:32 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 464 Posts

Personally, I'd start by sending my 993 over to Europe in late April. In no particular order I'd like to do the following: Nurburgring 24H, Le Mans 24H, Monaco GP, Belgian GP, Italian GP, British GP, visit Porsche, visit Ferrari, visit Lamborghini, visit Pagani, drive flat-out on the Autobahn (say it with your best Dickie Speedmaster voice), drive the Stelvio Pass, drive the Route Napoleon (rode it in a bus while attending a driving school @ Paul Ricard in 94 & 95.......amazing road with jaw-dropping scenery), drive the "EVO Triangle" in the UK, get car serviced @ the Porsche factory for it's return home.

Anybody like to fund the above?
Old 02-19-2011, 08:55 PM
Cemoto
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 74 Posts

Mr. Moffat,

You forgot to mention the part about having a beautiful 23 year old Swedish fitness model being your personal tour guide.

:-)
Old 02-19-2011, 09:05 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,034 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Cemoto
Mr. Moffat,

You forgot to mention the part about having a beautiful 23 year old Swedish fitness model being your personal tour guide.

:-)
Well, as long as it's on someone else's dollar.........
Old 02-19-2011, 09:21 PM
Al Z
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

If you make it to the porsche museum, try the the Mercedez museum also. Well worth it.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:23 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 549 Posts

If you want an über dose of Porsche in one place, this has a few hundred nice spectator cars in the paddock as well as on the track.

I was fortunate enough to get 4 intense passenger laps in

Old 02-19-2011, 10:00 PM
camlob
Pro

Originally Posted by Terry Adams
If you want an über dose of Porsche in one place, this has a few hundred nice spectator cars in the paddock as well as on the track.

I was fortunate enough to get 4 intense passenger laps in

Any link to that event? What country at?

Edit: Saw its at the SPA
Old 02-19-2011, 10:01 PM
camlob
Pro

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
Personally, I'd start by sending my 993 over to Europe in late April. In no particular order I'd like to do the following: Nurburgring 24H, Le Mans 24H, Monaco GP, Belgian GP, Italian GP, British GP, visit Porsche, visit Ferrari, visit Lamborghini, visit Pagani, drive flat-out on the Autobahn (say it with your best Dickie Speedmaster voice), drive the Stelvio Pass, drive the Route Napoleon (rode it in a bus while attending a driving school @ Paul Ricard in 94 & 95.......amazing road with jaw-dropping scenery), drive the "EVO Triangle" in the UK, get car serviced @ the Porsche factory for it's return home.

Anybody like to fund the above?
Ha..ha...maybe I should sell my FB shares. Ooops dont have any...
Old 02-19-2011, 10:15 PM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 202 Posts

Cam,

I too second the MB museum - way worth it. Drive ANY of the 7 Great Alpine Passes - the Grossglockner was my favourite ( I spent a few weeks testing over there when I thought i was going to have a career as a race driver....ha!)

Highly recommend a blast down to Ruf and Techart and whilst you are down that way - duck down to the Mulhouse Museum - the Bugattis are worth it alone. Also visit Gmud - again one of those spiritual places and make sure you organise and book a factory tour of Porsche. Seriously amazing stuff. Not sure you will be able to - I only got in due to my status at the time - but if you can get into Weissach - it is like heaven - especially their test track - but it is hard to get into......

Like MoffMan suggests - don't just limit it to Porsche - Go to the 4RE factory too - and while your there - Lambo too

You can also book track cars and days at both Norschelieffe and Hockenheim.... depends on how mad you really want to go....

Simon.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:17 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
Personally, I'd start by sending my 993 over to Europe in late April.
Tim, driving a car in many mountain passes isn't any fun unless you don't mind following the car ahead of you. You just can't get by cars ahead of you on the narrow passes which happen to be the best passes...that is why I use a motorcycle over there.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:19 PM
Linnm
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call the Porsche Travel Group, make arrangements to rent a Porsche from them for a week or 10 days. Have them put together a trip for you ( tell them you want to visit the 'Ring, the Porsche and M/B museums, drive on the un restricted speed part of the Autobahn, tour the plant at Stuttgart, etc,) making all hotel reservations, giving you maps, setting the computer to guide you , etc. It will be the trip of your life
Old 02-19-2011, 10:42 PM
camlob
Pro

Originally Posted by camlob
Any link to that event? What country at?

Edit: Saw its at the SPA
Originally Posted by Linnm
Call the Porsche Travel Group, make arrangements to rent a Porsche from them for a week or 10 days. Have them put together a trip for you ( tell them you want to visit the 'Ring, the Porsche and M/B museums, drive on the un restricted speed part of the Autobahn, tour the plant at Stuttgart, etc,) making all hotel reservations, giving you maps, setting the computer to guide you , etc. It will be the trip of your life
Thanks Linnm. I will do that! How about Italy? Any travel group that I can contact? Italians are so passionate about everything!
Old 02-19-2011, 10:45 PM
camlob
Pro

Originally Posted by Full Boost
Cam,

I too second the MB museum - way worth it. Drive ANY of the 7 Great Alpine Passes - the Grossglockner was my favourite ( I spent a few weeks testing over there when I thought i was going to have a career as a race driver....ha!)

Highly recommend a blast down to Ruf and Techart and whilst you are down that way - duck down to the Mulhouse Museum - the Bugattis are worth it alone. Also visit Gmud - again one of those spiritual places and make sure you organise and book a factory tour of Porsche. Seriously amazing stuff. Not sure you will be able to - I only got in due to my status at the time - but if you can get into Weissach - it is like heaven - especially their test track - but it is hard to get into......

Like MoffMan suggests - don't just limit it to Porsche - Go to the 4RE factory too - and while your there - Lambo too

You can also book track cars and days at both Norschelieffe and Hockenheim.... depends on how mad you really want to go....

Simon.
Simon - Got so excited with your description! How is Gmud so special? Sorry havent heard of it.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:47 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 680 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by camlob
Simon - Got so excited with your description! How is Gmud so special? Sorry havent heard of it.
You might mean Gmünd...where it all started.

Porsche Museum Gmünd

BTW, the Nockalmstrasse (road) is just a few miles from there. A nice road within a nature park.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:12 PM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 202 Posts

Alex,

thanks for correcting my typo - using dodgy internet at a resort in Fiji...

Simon.

Quick Reply: What is a perfect vacation to Europe? Has to be Porsche related