Sponsored by: DashLynx

1995 - 993 Convertible top replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 03:05 AM
RoDeO_993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI there.

Maybe sombody can tell me the diferentz between the european top boot and usdm top boot.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg2.htm#item4

thx
Old 05-22-2014, 09:59 AM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by RoDeO_993
HI there.

Maybe sombody can tell me the diferentz between the european top boot and usdm top boot.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/catalog/..._pg2.htm#item4

thx
US cars have the seatbelt tower between the seats. Not sure what the difference in the covers would be, but the US version has a flap that goes behind the seats if the windstop is not in place.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:50 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,228 Likes on 3,970 Posts

Abiazis, did you ever find a good top shop for your 993. I have a 928 that is probably going to need some custom covertible top work done and was wondering what your search turned up. Thanks.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:35 PM
TOM BLANK
Intermediate

how much added cost would there be to change the straps while replacing the canvas on a 96 993. Just curious as I got quoted 1795.00 for the Gahh A5 sonnenland german canvas top and installation. I told the installer when I dropped it off that I wanted the straps replaced as well--we never discussed that price---Just curious what a fair price would be so I have some info---This is columbus, Ohio
Old 05-18-2017, 04:28 PM
Starbuckslova1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tom if the whole job complete is 1795 that's a good price.- including the headliner
The straps should be included but if not 100 is a fair price.

Figure under 2k for the whole Job.

I have a Gahh top.

Also good luck on the sale of your car, I can tell your like me and keep your stuff nice.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:58 PM
TOM BLANK
Intermediate

Thanks Starbucks--The price did not include the headliner as mine was in great shape. There are basically 3 shops that Porsche uses in Columbus, I went with the guy priced in the middle as I liked his set up better, larger company, and thought the guy I spoke with was pretty knowledgeable about my car and all the adjustments and precautions needed to properly fit the new top--We'll see as I pick it up tomorrow.

How long do you think I need to wait before putting the top down---They say 10 days. A guy i spoke to in Henderson, NC said a month--which sounds very long to me
Old 05-18-2017, 09:54 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 710 Likes on 518 Posts

I waited a month, but most shops say 2 weeks....
Old 05-19-2017, 12:22 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

What do people do to replace the headliner? I have a new top but the headliner is older.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:33 AM
Starbuckslova1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

7-10 days in warm weather is fine- it needs time to adjust and sit and stretch. About 70 deg plus is warm.

but in the end of the day do exactly what the shop says its his profession he knows better, plus if anything goes wrong and you follow instructions you may have better recourse.

as for the headliner, I don't know the install process but would imagine the top has to come off.
Old 04-16-2019, 04:07 PM
Pushthemetal
1st Gear

Originally Posted by BSL
Paid $1000 for the install on my top in Chicago-land. Top itself was around $450. I didn't replace the headliner as the present one is in quite good condition.
Can you tell me where you had in done in Chicago. I need to replace on my 1995. Thanks.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:00 PM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

I bought my top from GAHH. GAHH uses Hartz material. The upolosterer I use is reputable and has been in business over fifty (50) years. The shop could care less whether I supplied the materials or not. The shop also replaced the headliner. I wouldn't do one without the other since your new top will last at least ten years.I can't remember the price for installation of the top and the headliner. I'm guessing about $2000.00, plus the materials which I supplied.
I live in Philly so my price may be higher. I was,and am. more concerned with the quality than the price. Additionally, the shop stands behind their work. That is difficult to price on......
The top looks beautiful.
Hope this helps.

Last edited by Twilightblue28A; 04-16-2019 at 11:06 PM.
Old 10-09-2020, 01:18 PM
Fede-993
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Hello!

i have to change my top. It’s not in desperate conditions, no structural issues or cuts or broken fabric.... but a more attentive eye can detect issues.

I am opening it manually at the moment, headliner super saggy, rear window is faded/yellow and some stitches have gone.

this is a quote I got today:
-new top: $ 2,213.00
- headliner: $ 862.00
- 2 tension straps: $ 130.00
- 2 new motor cables: $ 496.00 (2*248)
- timing transmission: $ 490.00

total cost with taxes: 4,484.00

was fainting when he gave me the quote

notes:
- I had some problem with timing
- I have some issues with the cables
- he said that is good to change cables every time you change the whole top

it’s super high to me

this is in Miami

thanks
Old 10-09-2020, 01:28 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fede-993
Hello!

i have to change my top. It’s not in desperate conditions, no structural issues or cuts or broken fabric.... but a more attentive eye can detect issues.

I am opening it manually at the moment, headliner super saggy, rear window is faded/yellow and some stitches have gone.

notes:

it’s super high to me

this is in Miami

thanks
The prices on the top and headliner materials seem high but with all the work that is being done, that price including labor is not out of bounds. Hopefully this is a quality shop.

You might get another quote for piece of mind but with all the work you are doing, which seems warranted, the lowest cost to me would be $4k anyways.

Since you stated you were having trouble with cables, I would have them replaced, but it is not a necessity if they are in good shape.

Unfortunately with this design there are no shortcuts to savings on top maintenance.

Every 911 I have bought since has been a coupe)) the 993 top scared the blank out of me due to costs....even though modern top designs are much better...
Old 10-09-2020, 01:54 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Hello!

notes:

it’s super high to me

this is in Miami

thanks
The prices on the top and headliner materials seem high but with all the work that is being done, that price including labor is not out of bounds. Hopefully this is a quality shop.

You might get another quote for piece of mind but with all the work you are doing, which seems warranted, the lowest cost to me would be $4k anyways.

Since you stated you were having trouble with cables, I would have them replaced, but it is not a necessity if they are in good shape.

Unfortunately with this design there are no shortcuts to savings on top maintenance.

Every 911 I have bought since has been a coupe)) the 993 top scared the blank out of me due to costs....even though modern top designs are much better...
Old 10-09-2020, 07:26 PM
Twilightblue28A
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 198 Posts

Hello!

notes:

it’s super high to me

this is in Miami

thanks
I bought my top from GAHH. GAHH uses Hartz material. The upholsterer I use is reputable and has been in business over fifty (50) years. The shop allowed me to buy the materials. The shop also replaced the headliner. Always replace the cables and only use Genuine Porsche cables. Replace the tension straps. Do everything concurrently. Before changing your top, go to a mechanic familiar with Porsche top repairs. Let the mechanic, not the upholsterer, work on your transmission, unless your top company is experienced with the transmission. Everything has to be perfectly synchronized or you are heading for trouble. Your tops life expectancy, if everything is installed and repaired correctly, is approximately ten (10) years. Do the job right or not at all. This is not an area to be penny wise and dollar foolish. I was more concerned with the work being done right than the price. Make sure the shop stands behind their work, which to me, is priceless. I live in Philly, so the price may vary. I think that labor was approximately two thousand dollars($2000.00), plus materials, supplied by me. The price that you were quoted does not seem unreasonable, providing the shop performs the scope of work quoted and performs the work correctly. Finally, restore your top to open and close electrically. Your car was manufactured with an electrically operated top, and if the repair is performed properly, there is no reason for your top not to open and close as Porsche originally designed.
I hope my information proves helpful.

Last edited by Twilightblue28A; 10-09-2020 at 07:35 PM.

Quick Reply: 1995 - 993 Convertible top replacement