993 Forum 1995-1998

Chris Harris on Ferrari Testing

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 01:14 AM
TargaTango
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chris Harris on Ferrari Testing

A great read on what Ferrari gets up to in fixing their cars and trying to fix road test results:

http://jalopnik.com/#!5760248/how-ferrari-spins

With so much of consumer journalism being of the lap dog variety Mr Harris' article is a great breath of fresh air. There will be a lot of comments to the effect that everyone knows that cars are doctored so what is new, but even if this is the case I have never seen this reported in any of the mags. Way to go Chris Harris.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:46 AM
Akerlie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Business as usual in Italy
Old 02-17-2011, 05:21 AM
Cristel993
Instructor

A brave move by Chris Harris. It will be interesting to see how EVO react to this and if they will see his position with them as being compromised. I also wonder if he will be seen by Porsche as being too biased against Ferrari and too favourable to Porsche, hence unable to provide an unbiased perspective when comparing Porsche and Ferrari, like for like? (Especially as he might not easily make Porsche vs. Ferrari tests anymore?)

A great irony of his writing style in this piece is that he has written it in "American English", as opposed to English. So he's tailored the article for the outlet he has published it on.....just like Ferrari allegedly tailor their press cars for different test types and tracks! (Pissed, organization, the man, it's gotten, Limey etc.....)

Tango Targa, was your car built by Greg from Tognola? I think Ty Fuller painted your car; mine is about to be painted by him as well.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:03 AM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Hilarious rant. Harris is one of my favorite writers, and his point here is well-taken. I'd be more than happy driving an untuned, assembly line 458. It's like the high-A student cheating on a test in order to get a 100.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:58 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 232 Posts

Point two: the internet is good for three things: free ****, Jalopnik and spreading information
Classic.

Andreas
Old 02-17-2011, 10:40 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Akerlie
Business as usual in Italy
Speaking of which, can anyone guess who's the front runner to replace Berlusconi? That's right, it's Luca...
Old 02-17-2011, 11:24 AM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Burdell
Hilarious rant. Harris is one of my favorite writers, and his point here is well-taken. I'd be more than happy driving an untuned, assembly line 458. It's like the high-A student cheating on a test in order to get a 100.
More like a high A student cheating to get 101%

Manufacturers have been doing it for years, its about time someone in the press came out and said something. It will be interesting to see if Chris is treated differently by other manufacturers...
Old 02-17-2011, 01:32 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,033 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by trophy
It will be interesting to see if Chris is treated differently by other manufacturers...
Like Porsche giving him a seat in a factory ride @ the N24 or something? Oh wait, that's already been done!

Seriously, I enjoy CH's articles and completely agree with his slam against Ferrari's heavy-handed approach to testing their cars. Unfortunately, his love of Porsche shines through quite regularly making his opinions a little biased IMHO. Doesn't make him a bad person or a bad journalist, just, perhaps, a little too biased at times. Won't stop me from reading his stuff. Just like Ferrari's blatant protectionism won't stop me from wanting several of their cars (288 GTO 1st PLEASE!).
Old 02-17-2011, 02:09 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Exactly why I never take tests of any product too seriously, no matter who from.
Old 02-17-2011, 02:38 PM
NEK
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow.

I've been reading car mags damn near since my Huggies day and it's clear to me that all of the major mags, to varying extents, propagate the PR BS with which they are constantly inundated. Read a few back issues from the late 80s or 90s and, with the aid of hindsight, you'll see how transparent many reviews are (especially reviews of Italians). But frankly given their respective business models, I really don't see how carmakers and the major mags can avoid getting in bed w/each other. That said, this Ferrari business is outrageous.
Old 02-18-2011, 01:48 AM
TargaTango
Racer

Hi Tim,

I am not an authority on Chris' writing having read mainly his Porsche articles on Porsche mags, but I do not think he is Porsche biased (or maybe that should read exclusively Porsche biased). His review of the Nissan GTR was more way-over-the-top than any of the Porsche articles I have read, and if I recall he was highly favoring it against the then 997 Turbo. He was so enthusiastic that I went away with the impression that Cristel993 noted that “he has tailored the article for the outlet”.

Cristel993, my car was built by Gemballa with Tuning by GTI Engineering, both in Hong Kong. Good luck and enjoy your build.

Originally Posted by timothymoffat
Like Porsche giving him a seat in a factory ride @ the N24 or something? Oh wait, that's already been done!

Seriously, I enjoy CH's articles and completely agree with his slam against Ferrari's heavy-handed approach to testing their cars. Unfortunately, his love of Porsche shines through quite regularly making his opinions a little biased IMHO. Doesn't make him a bad person or a bad journalist, just, perhaps, a little too biased at times. Won't stop me from reading his stuff. Just like Ferrari's blatant protectionism won't stop me from wanting several of their cars (288 GTO 1st PLEASE!).
Old 02-18-2011, 09:31 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also wonder if he will be seen by Porsche as being...too favourable to Porsche...Cristel
Not after reading his February column in Excellence.

It's too bad there isn't an automotive equivalent to Motorcycle Consumer News. He could be editor in chief.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:00 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

It was interesting to read some of the extreme lengths Ferrari goes to. All manufacturers, however, prepare press vehicles to some extent.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:12 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 971 Posts

Good to read, but then again, it's nothing new. I heard that in the mid 60's Car and Driver put a Ferrari against a Pontiac GTO. The GTO won. I learned about this fairly recently when David Davis, the then editor or something for C&D said he and everybody knew that the GTO they were testing had no real resemblance to the GTO people could buy. Yet they ran the article as if the GTO were stock which (he said) 'made' the GTO as a cult car.

The author in the OP made it clear why Ferrari can get away with it too. People want to read about this car brand so if you want to sell dead trees, you gotta obey and keep your lip sealed.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:00 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

C/D had a lot of fun with that Ferrari / Pontiac comparo, as it stirred up a huge reaction. It might have been the magazine's defining moment.

I enjoyed reading it in those days, particularly Warren Weith, L.J.K. Setright, and P.J. O'Rourke. Yates could write memorable pieces, now and then.

Quick Reply: Chris Harris on Ferrari Testing