993 Forum 1995-1998

JICs arrived...am I being an idiot?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 10:40 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default JICs arrived...am I being an idiot?

Just got my JICs in the mail. It seems in the attached pic I'm perhaps missing ring (b2) in this link to the only included documentation? http://www.jic-magic.com/Files/FLT-A...e%20height.pdf

Thoughts?
Attached Images  
Old 02-08-2011, 10:56 PM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi - I take it these are the now discontinued Cross Coilovers? Coould you tell me your overall impressions of quality for these please? I was looking between these and PSS10...

Thanks
M
Old 02-09-2011, 12:18 AM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hard to tell from the picture but it looks like the height adjustment ring has a locking feature? Is it split and does it have a bolt that you can tighten to keep the ring at a specific height? That's what it looks like to me.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:24 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

These are a closeout, yes. Apparently moving to USA made. Spoke with the owner for full support and all that. I had them on my last 993 and LOVED them much more than the PSS9s. No experience vs. the PSS10s.

There is an allen tightening spot yes, but won't that negate their ability to adjust the ride height while installed?
Old 02-09-2011, 12:28 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Bi JPS. Thanks for your feedback. Very interested when you have time to learn what you preferred about these over the PSS9 (essentially same as PSS10) especially on the street. Also can they go as low as RS etc?

Sorry to sideline your initial question....
Thanks
M
Old 02-09-2011, 12:35 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Sure, PM me...but to get the thread back on track...what am I missing? The documentation is pretty clear on adjusting the mysterious third ring...
Old 02-09-2011, 12:38 AM
camlob
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wait for Bill V to give his analysis. But I attached a pic that he posted on my thread before. It looks like there are two locking plates missing or its a different model. I will probably be getting the same item as yours....sighh..

Old 02-09-2011, 03:26 AM
BlackBear
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I hate JICs, just drove a 993 for a week that had them installed. They are for a "track only car". Even on the softest setting it is unbearable on the highway. I took advantage of the 10 day return guaranty from the seller and got rid of the car.

I had PSS9s in my last 993 and the car was great. The settings available worked well for track and street use. With JIC the coils are too harsh to begin with so that the rebound adjustment alone does not make it bearable.

A Porsche tuning shop in LA told me that JIC is considered the lowest segment of the market in Japan. I'd have to agree.

I didn't understand to begin with why anyone would put a Japanese product on a German car.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:59 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

I hate JICs
A) Please respect that the thread is asking about whether anyone knows if I am missing a part on the JICs I got.

Even on the softest setting it is unbearable on the highway.
B) As a long time Rennlist member and sort of contributor (I ask more questions than I'm able to answer) I have seen that there are very few absolutes. Some people love turbo noses, some not. Some enjoy cashmere interior, others only black. Some keep their engine tray in place, others snicker. Some even like 996s. Some think JLo is hot, personally I think she's a diva with a fat ***.

Personally, I find PSS9s too soft. But that is ME. When I first went on the track I had stock suspension and didn't feel even that was too soft. Now I drive in the Red run group as an instructor, and though I do use it as street/track I do not use it as a daily driver (I live in NYC and don't have a daily driver).

I would rather be a little bumpy on the street and feel more planted at 125 mph coming out of the Esses at The Glen. But that is just me. If the PSS9s work for you, excellent!

Getting the thread back on track, the owner shot me an email last night that they are slightly redesigned but the instructions hadn't kept up. So, does anyone know or have tricks to setting the ride height on the new JICs?
Old 02-09-2011, 11:00 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JPS
These are a closeout, yes. Apparently moving to USA made. Spoke with the owner for full support and all that. I had them on my last 993 and LOVED them much more than the PSS9s. No experience vs. the PSS10s.

There is an allen tightening spot yes, but won't that negate their ability to adjust the ride height while installed?
You tighten the allen to lock the ring in place and keep it from moving (and thus changing the ride height). To change the ride height, you loosen the allen, then spin the collar up or down to the desired height (with the special wrench), then tighten the allen when done. First time I've seen a JIC setup with that type of collar.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:09 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

To change the ride height, you loosen the allen, then spin the collar up or down to the desired height
THanks Doc. Sorry if I'm being dense, but I've never set up suspension before (other than turn the **** on PSS9s ) but if I move that locking collar, doesn't that affect the spring as well?
Old 02-09-2011, 11:23 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by JPS
THanks Doc. Sorry if I'm being dense, but I've never set up suspension before (other than turn the **** on PSS9s ) but if I move that locking collar, doesn't that affect the spring as well?
Yes, that is what is changing the ride height. It moves the spring higher or lower on the strut, allowing it more or less travel/compression. Think of it this way, if you move the collar upwards towards the spring....the strut gets longer, thus the car sits higher. If you move the collar lower away from the spring, the strut gets shorter, or the ride height gets lower. Obviously the spring will always sit on the collar, no matter what the adjustment is, the shock itself will just be compressed more or less.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:24 AM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Moving the locking collar (a) won't affect the spring at all, it is an additional locking mechanism over the 'clamp' setup with the set screw. Collar (b) is what porschedoc is referring to.

Last edited by trophy; 02-09-2011 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Clarity
Old 02-09-2011, 01:11 PM
DanQ
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 69 Posts

Don't JICs have the capability to change the ride height independent of the spring perch? I've got a set of JICs tht I haven't installed yet.

You can adjust the spring preload with the spring perch. That adjustment will affect the ride height and corner weighting. For example, you might want only enough spring preload, so at full droop, the spring doesn't rattle. After that is set, you can adjust ride height on a JIC by spinning the shock body in the mount.

The spring perch adjustment will affect ride height, corner weight, and spring preload.
The mount adjustment will affect corner weight and ride height.

Wnen I did the set up on my race car this is an iteration process because the amount of camber/caster will also affect corner weight.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:16 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by DanQ
Don't JICs have the capability to change the ride height independent of the spring perch? I've got a set of JICs tht I haven't installed yet.

You can adjust the spring preload with the spring perch. That adjustment will affect the ride height and corner weighting. For example, you might want only enough spring preload, so at full droop, the spring doesn't rattle. After that is set, you can adjust ride height on a JIC by spinning the shock body in the mount.

The spring perch adjustment will affect ride height, corner weight, and spring preload.
The mount adjustment will affect corner weight and ride height.

Wnen I did the set up on my race car this is an iteration process because the amount of camber/caster will also affect corner weight.
That is correct, you can adjust the shock body in the mount on the JIC's. Typically though, unless you are doing some drastic ride height changes, adjusting the spring perch is all that is needed. If you drop really low, then you probably want to adjust the body as little as well, so that when you raise the car, the spring doesn't pop out of the top hat.

Quick Reply: JICs arrived...am I being an idiot?