Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Barney, Deposit taken.!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 07:52 PM
deadhead1960
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still think it's way too early in the "season" to be concerned about selling it for a fair price. The condition, mods and color will prevail. Perhaps it might be beneficial to address the synchro issue now. Maybe there is a good shop that can work with you on labor side of things. If it was me, I'd pull it off the market, button up the mechanical issues and then advertise it on or about April 1st; and I would try and line up some interested parties to see it at Hershey at the end of April if it hasn't sold by then.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:58 PM
wolfgang1
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

maybe you should consider keeping it and enjoying it forever
Old 02-09-2011, 08:09 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 700 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by Barney1
From what I can see just looking at the car, under the carpet, at the bottom of the spare tire well is a little wrinkled.
You are talking about wrinkles in the flat sheet metal...not the stiffening ridges in the floor. The latter are a normal part of the floor pan.

Old 02-09-2011, 08:10 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by deadhead1960
I still think it's way too early in the "season" to be concerned about selling it for a fair price. The condition, mods and color will prevail. Perhaps it might be beneficial to address the synchro issue now. Maybe there is a good shop that can work with you on labor side of things. If it was me, I'd pull it off the market, button up the mechanical issues and then advertise it on or about April 1st; and I would try and line up some interested parties to see it at Hershey at the end of April if it hasn't sold by then.

Jay. You seem to have too much skin in the game of pricing and selling 993s. You should be conflicted out. This might be a great car for you and then sell me your 1996 at a steep discount.

I think Barney is in good hands and Mike is doing a very good job in marketing the car. Clearly, I feel for him when he found out that his car had an accident prior to his ownership. I also think putting $5K in the car to fix some possible issue is not necessarily a good move as some buyers might prefer the lower price and possible deal with the issue (if they want to) on their own terms. Just need to disclose the facts as the seller has.

BTW - I hope Mike sells it for good money.

Mark
Old 02-09-2011, 08:31 PM
Barney1
Three Wheelin'

Thanks guys, Alex, the flat struts on the floor look the same as yours. All the way up front there is a wrinkle like it ran up on a high curb. I see no damage on the frame. Guys, make me a reasonable offer. My daily driver is becoming a money pit.
Old 02-09-2011, 08:44 PM
oMenRC51
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 31 Posts

Nice ride. GLWS
Old 02-09-2011, 09:16 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
And when you get down to it, unless you know the car (as in its parked next door), unless its the original owner, how can any subsequent owner tell you with absolute certainty if the car has been in an accident, driven in the winter, etc.
Well, it's not quite about that. It's about what can and can not be proven in court if it comes that far.

For example, if you have an affidavit from the previous owner that he disclosed to dealership that there was an accident, than dealership can not play "we don't know" card. Same if dealership pushed him down on trade-in price due to them seeing accident damage.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:24 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

still wouldn't kick Barney out of the garage for eatin' crackers

Sorry to hear the surprise Mike... the car is so unique, hopefully it won't take a big hit in price
Old 02-09-2011, 09:25 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 700 Likes on 485 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
Well, it's not quite about that. It's about what can and can not be proven in court if it comes that far.
I wasn't talking legalities.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:49 PM
levtron
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For some one who has just gone thru the "wow, airbags are expensive" in the last few months, let me tell you that I barely got tagged in the front left. Both airbags deployed. Even body shop guy was shocked to see them deploy for the amount of damage. I ended up getting a new nose, left fender, turbo scoops and corner lights. The light-pod was also changed, but only because one of the small tabs got broken off. Since insurance was already paying to have 75% of the car painted, i decided to paint the whole car, after all when else are you going to get a perfect paint job for $3k. I also got rid of those stupid headlamp washers that serve NO purpose.

Am i worried about carfax and resale - sure... but i did take lots of pictures, and the right buyer will know what they are buying. Even if you don't have the pictures of the job in progress, and good body shop that knows porsches will be able to take one look and know exactly whats 'NOT' wrong with it.

Great car, Great color.... I stuck with Midnight Blue Metallic, but the purple is mesmerizing.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:00 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by levtron
For some one who has just gone thru the "wow, airbags are expensive" in the last few months, let me tell you that I barely got tagged in the front left. Both airbags deployed. Even body shop guy was shocked to see them deploy for the amount of damage. I ended up getting a new nose, left fender, turbo scoops and corner lights. The light-pod was also changed, but only because one of the small tabs got broken off. Since insurance was already paying to have 75% of the car painted, i decided to paint the whole car, after all when else are you going to get a perfect paint job for $3k. I also got rid of those stupid headlamp washers that serve NO purpose.

Am i worried about carfax and resale - sure... but i did take lots of pictures, and the right buyer will know what they are buying. Even if you don't have the pictures of the job in progress, and good body shop that knows porsches will be able to take one look and know exactly whats 'NOT' wrong with it.

Great car, Great color.... I stuck with Midnight Blue Metallic, but the purple is mesmerizing.
isn't that weird, about four years ago I spun the car and centered the bumper on a small tree. It was raining, I was cut-off while accelerating, and spun...it was almost instant. Anyways, no frame damage, but the hood and front bumper was replaced. The hit was pretty hard given I bent the internal bar inside the bumper..but no airbags deployed! Took a bunch of pictures, documented the hell out of it, put on a Euro Turbo bumper, got rid of the squirters, and its good as new. No damage to the fenders or side rails, etc. But I think I will take a hit when I sell it....

Cheers,

Mike
Old 02-09-2011, 10:11 PM
Spidey 993

So how much does an accident like Barney had, devalue the car? Isn't now that the elephant in the room?
Old 02-09-2011, 10:31 PM
Barney1
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by tjeff993
So how much does an accident like Barney had, devalue the car? Isn't now that the elephant in the room?

Here we go......
Old 02-09-2011, 10:54 PM
Robert993TT
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys we're talking about performance cars manufactured between 1994 - 1998. If you speak to a Porsche dealer or better yet a shop that fixes damaged Porsches. Don´t be surprised if you hear that almost every Porsche visited the workshop due to a fender bender at some point. The main thing is that the repair is carried out correctly.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:59 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

Exactly. It is a fifteen year old car. No car is Perfect at that age

Quick Reply: Barney, Deposit taken.!!