993 Forum 1995-1998

Riviera Blue 993 C2 cab for sale / Carrara White 6-GT3 also

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 03:43 AM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Then I'm sure you won't care if, the next time you sell something, others post critical comments about the price, condition, etc. of the item you're selling.

BTW, if your post disagrees with the OP's price, that is negative commentary.
I agree with Mark. The seller is free to ask what he wants for an item without having to deal with commenters crapping on his FS thread. These kinds of posts can potentially undermine the seller's ability to sell an item - certainly not what Rennlist is all about.

I've experienced this first hand as a seller and it is annoying:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=21390

To the OP - beautiful car and GLWS.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 01-31-2011, 09:00 AM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 270 Posts

^ Well said...

I just experienced a little thread bashing myself - thought it was quite funny considering the guy has been persistently promoting another brand of "fuchs" wheels for ages:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...mps-tires.html

Best of luck to the OP - I hope you are able to rectify your situation quickly.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:05 AM
deadhead1960
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Then I'm sure you won't care if, the next time you sell something, others post critical comments about the price, condition, etc. of the item you're selling.

BTW, if your post disagrees with the OP's price, that is negative commentary.
I agree 100% with your statement about negative comments being inappropriate; however you're simply incorrect in saying that disagreeing with someone is automatically considered to be "negative." And I'll repeat myself. If the OP wanted to avoid this debate, he should have listed his ad in the classified or member to member sales section. By posting in the 993 forum, he knowingly expected to have the pricing issue [constructively] debated.

FWIW...the definition of forum...A public meeting place for open discussion.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:50 AM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Hey Scott! I hope that you are well.

I remember the search process that you went through to buy this for your wife. Fantastic car and all of the right upgrades. Good luck!
Old 01-31-2011, 12:03 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by deadhead1960
I agree 100% with your statement about negative comments being inappropriate; however you're simply incorrect in saying that disagreeing with someone is automatically considered to be "negative." And I'll repeat myself. If the OP wanted to avoid this debate, he should have listed his ad in the classified or member to member sales section. By posting in the 993 forum, he knowingly expected to have the pricing issue [constructively] debated.

I tend to agree with this position. While posting comments in the "for sale" section would be very poor etiquette, this is the tech section. We bash various ebay ads all the time here, just because it's a forum contributor it's not acceptable? We've come down pretty hard on other forum members in the past for things they've done to their cars why would some be "off limits" and others not?
Old 01-31-2011, 12:12 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

If the OP wanted to avoid this debate, he should have listed his ad in the classified or member to member sales section. By posting in the 993 forum, he knowingly expected to have the pricing issue [constructively] debated.

IMHO, pricing debate in someone's FS thread falls into the "not cool" category. That may be the norm here in the past year since you've joined, but it didn't use to be as far as I can remember. Unless the OP specifically asked for pricing opinions, a "good luck with the sale" or "beautiful car" was the most that I'd come to expect from RL'ers in a for sale thread.

To say that offering unsolicited pricing opinions in a FS thread doesn't undermine the OP's ability to sell his car for what he wants is straight up BS. If a pricing debate is what you want, feel free to start your own thread that points to the ad on cars.com or autotrader.com. IMO, that is different. But I think for a long-standing member like Scott (who has offered up his house multiple times to locals for parties and DIY days), he deserves a little more than coming into his FS thread and telling him his price is $25-30K too high and adding a popcorn eating guy at the end of your post. Just my 2¢.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:30 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I also have to agree with DH on this too. The 993 forum is a general discussion area and therefore open to reasonable discussion. From the OP responses I don't think he's too worried about the pricing or reading anyone's opinion on where he's priced the car.

Had this been listed in the Classifieds section then any critiquing of a particular ad would be unacceptable IMO.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:31 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DJF1
+1...

You know I've been reading all these "opinions" in several "for sale" threads and it makes me wonder why we all seem to want to shoot ourselves in the foot. There will be a time where all of us will sell our 993's, when the time comes and suddenly you are the seller, do you really want to get bottom dollar for a car that most likely you have spend a good coin to keep it in perfect running condition, certainly much more than your average non enthusiast owner?
I would suggest that we think twice before posting opinions on pricing. Isn't it bad enough that we have to deal with "blue book", dealers and the values at Excellence?

Sure hope you sell at 60K.
+1
Old 01-31-2011, 01:08 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Please tell me how disagreeing with someone is not negative. Perhaps you need to define the meaning of the word "negative" so that we're on the same page.

Sorry, but you just haven't been here long enough to understand that there is a decorum on this board, and on the other boards, too. You also haven't been here long enough to understand what a respected member Scott is. He is a longstanding 993 member, has a 993 to sell and wants to sell it on the 993 board. Many people, myself included, do not check out the classifieds and spend far more time here.

And I'll state this for you very simply: if you are criticizing the OP's price, your comments are not positive. The man is trying to sell his car. Give it a rest. He didn't ask for a pricing opinion. Comments that call into question his pricing strategy are not helping him sell his car.

Open discussion also doesn't mean that you have the right to post whatever you want. Try posting hard-core **** or racial epithets here and see how far that gets you. Under your definition ("a public meeting place for open discussion"), you should be allowed to say whatever you want, right? Sorry, it doesn't work that way here. This is not the wild west devoid of community laws and order.

As an example, your comment "If the OP wanted to avoid this debate, he should have listed his ad in the classified or member to member sales section" is your rule. However, this is not how it works here, at least from what I've learned in the nearly ten years that I have been a member. Other forums may be different, but this is the culture of Rennlist.

Finally, you seem to be in the distinct minority with your view. This is a community, so if you want to be the lone (or semi-lone) misfit who wants to buck convention/go against the grain/be the uncontrollable rebel, so be it. Frankly, I see more of a popcorn munching guy taking pot shots from the bleachers than anything else.

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
+993, and OP is a cool dude, has been on here a long time....and not the type to step on other peeps post....
Originally Posted by briefescape
I agreed and that is why I did not post anything about pricing .

I had half heartedly put mine up for sale last summer due to health issues .
Will decided shortly if mine is for sale . I do not want to end up like Mike ( Arena993 ) I am afraid to ask him how much it cost to retrieved his RB .

Cheers Guy
Originally Posted by DJF1
+1...

You know I've been reading all these "opinions" in several "for sale" threads and it makes me wonder why we all seem to want to shoot ourselves in the foot. There will be a time where all of us will sell our 993's, when the time comes and suddenly you are the seller, do you really want to get bottom dollar for a car that most likely you have spend a good coin to keep it in perfect running condition, certainly much more than your average non enthusiast owner?
I would suggest that we think twice before posting opinions on pricing. Isn't it bad enough that we have to deal with "blue book", dealers and the values at Excellence?

Sure hope you sell at 60K.
Originally Posted by jmarch
I agree with Mark. The seller is free to ask what he wants for an item without having to deal with commenters crapping on his FS thread. These kinds of posts can potentially undermine the seller's ability to sell an item - certainly not what Rennlist is all about.

I've experienced this first hand as a seller and it is annoying:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=21390

To the OP - beautiful car and GLWS.

Cheers,
Joe
Originally Posted by Nurburger
^ Well said...

I just experienced a little thread bashing myself - thought it was quite funny considering the guy has been persistently promoting another brand of "fuchs" wheels for ages:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...mps-tires.html

Best of luck to the OP - I hope you are able to rectify your situation quickly.

Originally Posted by 993BillW
I tend to agree with this position. While posting comments in the "for sale" section would be very poor etiquette, this is the tech section. We bash various ebay ads all the time here, just because it's a forum contributor it's not acceptable? We've come down pretty hard on other forum members in the past for things they've done to their cars why would some be "off limits" and others not?
Hi, Bill,

Why does it matter if someone tries to sell a 993 here or in the for sale forum? The intent is the same regardless of the location. The guy is trying to sell his car and negative comments do not help the sale, period. I know lots of people, myself included, have criticized a myriad of Craigslist and eBay ads or offered critical commentary when a member or user wants feedback on a potential car purchase. But this is not any of those scenarios since the OP did not ask for our opinions.

Originally Posted by 993BillW
We've come down pretty hard on other forum members in the past for things they've done to their cars why would some be "off limits" and others not?
In these threads, were they "Hey, check out my new chromed RS wing and tell me what you think" threads? Was anyone selling anything?

Again, everyone here who thinks it's okay to openly criticize a member's for sale thread won't think it's poor form if others undermine your future sales with comments that do not facilitate your outcome.

Right?
Old 01-31-2011, 01:15 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

All this talk, at the end of the day, matters very little when it comes to impacting the sale of Scott's fine ride.

First, as a whole, not many people are looking to buy a 15 year old car for $50K or more. Second, of those who are, not all are interested in a 993. And of those who are looking at a $50K+ 993, fewer are looking at a cab. And even less are interested in a stand-out color like RB.

Since Scott is a cool guy, he probably is aware that he's priced it at a point that will make it all but impossible to sell except for those who have money to burn over their obsession with RB. Scott knows, as we all do, that one can find another C2 cab with 30K miles for much, much less. Mike's fine RB cab, albeit with 100K on the clock, sold at half Scott's asking price. Scott is betting on someone's obsession with RB will net him a huge price premium; the same way a car dealership mark-ups the price way over sticker on a hot new car for sale.

The good news is, for the person who really, really wants to have a beautiful RB Cab and has money to burn, none of this talk will change that at all and here's the car. The bad news is, Scott's audience for this car, at this price, is probably very, very small.

Scott, good luck with the sale.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:30 PM
Scott 1996 993c2
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys -

I really do appreciate all the comments/advice/criticism/opinions/support ... etc. None of it really angers me or bums me out in any way. My skin is a bit thicker than that - wouldn't have gotten as far in life as I have at 41 if things were otherwise. For any of you who really know me - you know I've been kicked - pretty hard in some circumstances - and I just keep standing. I'm like the Weebles - we wobble but just won't fall down. We are just going through some family and business changes right now and need to downsize and simplify - plan a bit more for the future. Our oldest son is now off in college and our younger 2 boys have lots of other priorities that keep me away from the cars and RL lately. There was a time not so long ago when I really thought I'd have these 3 P-cars forever - because I really love each of them - but I guess that was just a bit of getting caught-up in the moment. But things are things - things come and go ... and life goes on. I was P-car less for several years about a year after getting married in 1998. You gotta do what you gotta do, eh?

Now - about this car specifically - I truly do not believe there is a lower mileage Riviera Blue car in the states. My wife and I paid much more than anyone here has suggested the car is worth. Why? Because it's unique and we had the opportunity to treat ourselves as a reward for extremely hard work. The car is pristine and pretty unique compared to others - I fully understand if the color means nothing to some of you - I get it - not offended by that at all. And I get that over color, some would rather have an "S" version 993. This car truly exemplifies the notion that value = the price a willing buyer is willing to pay a willing seller. You know - if my neighbor sells her house - surely want her to get as much damn coin for it as possible ...

I surely did not mean to start a thread that would lead to guys getting up each others' grills about opinions on price/value here and fight with each other. Maybe some are right that I just shouldn't have started the thread at all. It's just that I received such kind words and good comments on the car when we found and bought it in 1997 - that I just thought maybe someone here might know someone that would really appreciate and want the car - just like my wife and I when it was our turn. I'm not necessarily trying to sell it to any of you all ... just thought I'd share. For what its worth - I've already received a couple of inquiries from the AutoTrader.com ad and none of the inquiry questions were about price.

Again - thanks to all for your time and thoughts - you guys are great - and this is a great place!!!

Scott
Old 01-31-2011, 02:15 PM
deadhead1960
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your asking price is $39,995 and you've turned down offers of $39,000????

Incredible. Good luck getting that last $995. But what do I know? I think $39,000 for your car is a nutty-high price and can't believe that people are offering that amount.
It also has excessive orange peel on the LR quarter panel as evidenced by the highlight reflections.
Two quotes by you in the past few days; one deals with price and the other with condition; oops...your bad.

Last edited by deadhead1960; 01-31-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:21 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,033 Likes on 464 Posts

GLWS Scott. As you said, things are things. I'm sure you'll be back.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:57 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Two quotes by you in the past 2 days; one deals with price and the other with condition; oops...your bad.
Yeah, well, nice try, but you know that neither provide any "evidence" contradicting my position. If I have ever criticized a member's for sale ad, I think it was quite a while ago.

Your asking price is $39,995 and you've turned down offers of $39,000????

Incredible. Good luck getting that last $995. But what do I know? I think $39,000 for your car is a nutty-high price and can't believe that people are offering that amount.
In this thread (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...995-993-a.html), perhaps you did not read that the OP was soliciting opinions about a car on eBay and that this was not his car. Perhaps you were confused and thought that when the owner of the car posted in the thread, you thought he was the original poster.

It also has excessive orange peel on the LR quarter panel as evidenced by the highlight reflections.
In this thread (https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...his-993-a.html), perhaps you missed the fact that the OP specifically asked the board what was wrong with the car. Perhaps you missed the humor in my response, for no one can see orange peel differences in a low res web photo. More importantly, perhaps you missed the fact that the OP is not trying to sell his car.

Perhaps you need to stop banging your head against brick walls.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:57 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Looks like someone has some thin skin when it comes to their own sales. But, but...this is a discussion board, right?

Your valueless comments continue to amaze me.
Your sarcastic PM's to me as a result of a private conversation I've had with other RLers speaks volumes to your character...or lack therefore.
Your habit of contacting members who express an interest in buying other member's items highlights the POS you seem to be. You want to sell something, post it on the board like everyone else.
https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale...condition.html

Here's another gem on the 993 board where you've taken erick72pors to task for criticizing the suspension of the the car you're selling car as well as the price.

As for erick72pors...I'll let you other guys comment on his stupid comment. I wonder how foolish and irrelevant the other 7 posts are that he's made in the past 4 years are? Gimme a break!
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...iles-sold.html

Finally, in checking on your posts, it seems as if you have sold an incredible amount of cars on Rennlist, far more than a normal enthusiast. When asked whether you are a dealer, your response was "Nope....just an enthusiast with a short attention span....and a lot going on!" My, my, you sure do have a lot going on. In six months, you sold six different cars.

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Just curious; are you a dealer?
Nope....just an enthusiast with a short attention span....and a lot going on!
I think there are a lot of "us" in here.
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...e-911-c2s.html

Here are links to your sales:

2/26/2010: https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale...ercharger.html

3/23/2010: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-29-500-a.html

3/26/2010: https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale...-92-000-a.html

5/18/2010: https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...ebay-sold.html

6/10/2010: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...iles-sold.html

7/13/2010: https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...96-911-c4.html

How many cars do you think you'll sell to Rennlist members this year? Since your volume is so high and since this is a discussion board where, according to you, it's okay to comment on price and other factors for a thread starter's car, you won't mind if I pick apart your car and make lots of comments about the wares you're shilling?

Perhaps it's time for you to become a Rennlist sponsor, Mr. I've-Sold-Six-Cars-In-Six-Months-Here-On-Rennlist-But-Hey-I'm-Just-An-Enthusiast-Who's-Really-Busy.

You may not be a dealer, but you're damned close to being one. If nothing else, you're a troll who just shot himself in the foot.

Last edited by Mark in Baltimore; 01-31-2011 at 04:16 PM.

Quick Reply: Riviera Blue 993 C2 cab for sale / Carrara White 6-GT3 also