Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally...mid rise ordered

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2011 | 07:50 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Default Finally...mid rise ordered

well, it only took 7 months-but the wing(993TT oem) is finally sold...thanks jvmax!

So, ordered my mid rise, an Atlas TD6MR from Greg Smith Eqpt. I delayed the shipping-usually just two days, until next Thursday. I have bodies lined up for next Friday to lift and set in place. Gonna have it delivered to work, so it can be off loaded with a fork lift or Lull. Then I'll have it dropped onto my little utility trailer, and backed into place.

So, this weekend I gotta plow the back driveway(access to shed & C4S)-clear the back of the main garage out a little to allow me to temporary relocate the tractor with plow...then move the car back into the main garage.

I was hoping the roads would be clear and kinda clean, just to do a short drive...but weather doesn't look too good.

So, unload Friday late PM, assemble and test...then an oil change on my wife's car(Mazda CX-7). Then-get the pcar up in the air, pull the wheels, and probably the bumper covers. I got lots to do, afterall I have been assembling more "stuff" for it.

pics to follow once installed.
Old 01-27-2011 | 08:06 PM
randytrish
Rennlist Member

You're gonna love it. I bought mine two years ago and use it all the time.
Old 01-27-2011 | 08:12 PM
firesm
Pro

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
...then an oil change on my wife's car(Mazda CX-7).
Ah yes - was that part of the sales pitch "and I'll be able to do oil changes and maintenance on all our vehicles, this thing will pay for itself in no time!"... Good idea, get an oil change done right away on your wife's car (and test the stability of the lift set up) and then you can go to town on the real car!
Old 01-27-2011 | 08:19 PM
mdistel
Racer

I just had a 2 post installed in my rear garage bay yesterday! Now I need to find a Porsche (currently looking at getting a 993 or Cayman) and clean/set up the garage. Cheers to storing the jack away
Attached Images  

Last edited by mdistel; 01-27-2011 at 08:23 PM. Reason: photo
Old 01-27-2011 | 08:35 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by firesm
Ah yes - was that part of the sales pitch "and I'll be able to do oil changes and maintenance on all our vehicles, this thing will pay for itself in no time
the "pay for itself" part might be a stretch, but...

I've convinced myself that the lift was essentially free. Afterall, the wing and LOTS of other stuff came with the car. I've sold off everything I didn't want or need, and saved what I did want or need.

I would not have bought the car for the PO's asking price, if it didn't come with all the extra goodies. That "package deal" made it a no brainer to me.

Sold items; stock solid twists, good rear tires from that wheelset, stock steering wheel with airbag, locking lug nuts, and the 993TT tail.

Stuff used/or saved; oem big ovals, and F&R oem brake pads.

So, free right?
Old 01-27-2011 | 08:38 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Congrats. How much head room do you need for a midrise? I only have ~8' ceiling in my garage.
Old 01-27-2011 | 08:59 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by P-daddy
Congrats. How much head room do you need for a midrise? I only have ~8' ceiling in my garage.
well, different mid rise's lift to different height's. Mine is a 53" lift, others are as low as 43". There are "low rise" lifts available also, that only lift 32" or so IIRC. While my little 993 will fit in perfectly, other more "normal" size vehicle's will project under the overhead door opening. I did a hi-lift conversion on the door-it goes right up to about 3" below the ceiling, but the door header position is a solid point for sure, and it's only 7' above the floor. I'll just have to be extra careful doing basic maintenance on the other stuff.

I know my mechanical limitations afterall, so it'll be just oil changes, tire rotations, and summer/winter wheelset change overs for me.

The lift will allow me to take apart and clean what I can in the off season with the 993-that's why I bought it.

Honestly, just be careful...an 8' ceiling shouldn't be a limiting factor.

Be sure to make a checklist also;
lift...check
car on lift....check
heater on....check
beer in mini fridge....check

end of checklist
Old 01-27-2011 | 09:21 PM
firesm
Pro

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
the "pay for itself" part might be a stretch, but...

I've convinced myself that the lift was essentially free.
When you make statements like that it's a sure sign you're an addict. Also included would be "I can stop (doing mods) whenever I want" or "This is such a good deal - even if I decide not to keep it I can sell it and make money" or "I'm losing money by not buying it"... and so on. It's these kinds of things that have me owning three sets of wheels and tires. The first thing that I put up for sale from my excess parts were the supercup exhaust pipes. I said to my wife - see I'm selling parts... I ended up trading them plus cash to Martin S for his RS wing and splitters - my wife just lauged.
Old 01-28-2011 | 12:10 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Nice, you will love it!

Old 01-28-2011 | 12:11 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Oh and make sure to get hockey pucks.
Old 01-28-2011 | 03:26 PM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
Oh and make sure to get hockey pucks.
Doc, which mid-rise lift is that in your shop? Did you remove any bars for the engine drop?
Old 01-28-2011 | 04:26 PM
steve porter
Rennlist Member

Default Limit Switch

Originally Posted by P-daddy
I also have only an 8` ceiling and although the 993 does not hit at full lift with my Bendpack Mid Rise , some of my other cars will. I had an electritian wire in a limit switch which I fitted to one end of a pool skimmer and mounted it to the ceiling .The high points of all the cars that I have tried are now covered.

Steve
Attached Images   
Old 01-28-2011 | 04:50 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Deadeye
Doc, which mid-rise lift is that in your shop? Did you remove any bars for the engine drop?
It is the Bendpack MD-6XP. I modified the rear bar to be removable (and replaceable) for engine drops. I didn't want to cut it out permanently as I do lift a lot of heavier vehicles like Cayennes as well as the Jeep and my 2500HD. My blog on the modification actually made Bendpak's twitter account and their facebook page without me knowing it (as well as Brian's website who sold me the lift (ASEDeals.com)! Seems they approve!

Here is the link to my post on it: Really easy to do if you have a sawzall with a good metal blade.

http://docwilenracing.wordpress.com/...for-a-porsche/
Old 01-28-2011 | 05:22 PM
Deadeye
Rennlist Member

Well done Doc! OT what's up with the mass migration to Beemers??
Old 01-28-2011 | 05:28 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Deadeye
Well done Doc! OT what's up with the mass migration to Beemers??
Temporary solution For me it was a nice step in between the 951 and a 993. 993 or a 997 will be next for me.

Quick Reply: Finally...mid rise ordered