twin turbo vs supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 03:39 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 175 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by tjangi
I am actually am very happy with the setup. The issue is that I am at the max (HP) given the NA engine, and I want MORE

IMHO - If you have the money, you should buy a real turbo and start from there. You can get more HP per buck from a turbo engine than a NA engine (with same $$$ investment)
Makes sense. Another not very expensive alternative is to change your P&C to low compression ones (you can find used and sell yours) and have a retune by Todd@Protomotive for example. You will benefit from the twin plug and larger valves (if I recall correctly) among others and be able to run higher boost.
Old 03-01-2011, 04:19 PM
Norske
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I LOVE THIS THREAD. The guy i bought my car from spent 32k for the Protomotive Stage II at Protosport on my car. Beefed up internals, etc. I paid less than most C4S were going for in 2002. Actually a lot less than 60K. Car only had 14.5K miles and engine had less than 2K.

It depends on whom is to buy your car as to value. I know most Pcar guys value my car lower. However, I have been offered a LOT more than I paid for my car from Pcar guys and others. But it would only be for sale for the right price for me.

I believe inherently the normally asperated car may have more potential because of its twin plug design. 993 turbos being single plug. I know the turbos can be twin plugged, but I know it is not cheap. I'm not a great mechanic, but I do believe it makes a difference.

Right now, I would like more HP (you can never have enough), have the turbos moved in front of the cats for less lag and a few other minor mods. I will say this, my car is very drivable around town, air blows ice, sounds incredible, when it hits 3800 RPM, its a rush.
Old 03-02-2011, 10:27 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,414 Likes on 816 Posts

Originally Posted by sinfulsteve
I LOVE THIS THREAD. The guy i bought my car from spent 32k for the Protomotive Stage II at Protosport on my car. Beefed up internals, etc. I paid less than most C4S were going for in 2002. Actually a lot less than 60K. Car only had 14.5K miles and engine had less than 2K.

It depends on whom is to buy your car as to value. I know most Pcar guys value my car lower. However, I have been offered a LOT more than I paid for my car from Pcar guys and others. But it would only be for sale for the right price for me.

I believe inherently the normally asperated car may have more potential because of its twin plug design. 993 turbos being single plug. I know the turbos can be twin plugged, but I know it is not cheap. I'm not a great mechanic, but I do believe it makes a difference.

Right now, I would like more HP (you can never have enough), have the turbos moved in front of the cats for less lag and a few other minor mods. I will say this, my car is very drivable around town, air blows ice, sounds incredible, when it hits 3800 RPM, its a rush.
Potential of the cars is basically even when you start adding parts.

To get big power out of an NA car reliably, you will most likely need lower compression pistons, whereas on the TT cars, twin plugging is useful (though I would argue not 100% necessary).

At the end of the day, to go much beyond 500bhp, you are going to be spending a metric ton of money regardless of starting with a turbo or NA car.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:35 AM
tjangi
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Makes sense. Another not very expensive alternative is to change your P&C to low compression ones (you can find used and sell yours) and have a retune by Todd@Protomotive for example. You will benefit from the twin plug and larger valves (if I recall correctly) among others and be able to run higher boost.
MUST RESIST or BAN MYSELF FROM RL FOR LIFE
Old 03-03-2011, 11:20 AM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ "While they're in there" you really need to increase it to a 3.8l, since you already have the twin plugs.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:35 AM
tjangi
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ "While they're in there" you really need to increase it to a 3.8l, since you already have the twin plugs.
B- I hope that was not directed to me

Quick Reply: twin turbo vs supercharger