3M or not 3M, that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 01:11 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Macca
Stealth.

It looks very well done....and expensive!

I think it hides best on silver vs dark colours such as black or dark blue.

Although I contradict myself with my own use of the product I still think we are sick and this is a stupid waste of money and we are denying ourselves the pleasure of the pleasing tactile feel of freshly groomed clear coated paint and that we are playing homage to our own insecurities and perfectionist consumerism ways by doing this to immortalise an object designed for a purpose for which we too often deny it (to be driven...hard :-)). Its like smoking. You do it but tell people you wish youd never started the filthy habit!

I want to feel liberated and tear the damn stuff off the car and enjoy it for what it is and respray it when it gets way too chipped or the neigbours daughter scrapes the bumper with her trike..........but I just cant bring myself to do it......yet!

M
Thanks! The install is just about perfect! Yes, it was expensive, just over $2k. My car is driven all the time! For me it's money well spent, & cheaper then new paint. In a few years, when it's all pocked up, I'll get those sections replaced. In 3 years I've done over 30kmi. She is also my daily drive & Auto-X car.

I do enjoy my cars to be cosmetically perfect, & they almost always are clean & presentable.

Originally Posted by DFC4S
Stealth, I have seen and been to Metropolitan Detail. While these guys may be good, they do not come close to Premier (sorry!) However maybe their workmanship has improved as it's been a few years now.
ParkPlace in Bellevue also does VS and is probably on par with Metropolitan.
That is just insulting. Have you seen Park Places work? They just do the standard "kits" this leave gaps, & 1/8-1/4 away from all corners. They also have a ton of relief cuts. They do OK work, but are about the worst in the are. I would never take any car there for any service.

I have not seen Premier's work. So I can't comment. Next meet up, lets compare, I think you will be impressed with the work on the C4.

FWIW, Metropolitan has moved to Bellevue, about 1mi from Park Place. you should go back & see what they offer. Right now they are doing a entire matt black wrap on a Ferrari 430 Spyder with CF accents. I stand by my opinion that Benjamin is the BEST in the area!
Old 02-11-2011, 01:00 PM
detailjohn
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ben at Park Place also does an EXCELLENT job.
Old 02-12-2011, 01:07 AM
DFC4S
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SORRY... did not intend to insult! Again... sounds like their quality has improved since I last checked out their installs which were just kits at the time and they were just starting to do VS installs! My point was to recommend an installer for the OP which he did use.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:13 PM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

She looks great Stealth, congrats. Mine doesn't have any film yet but was just in for a laquering and you're right, they do fine work at Metropolitan.

I probably found out about them from your posts here, so thanks. Really glad to have a quality shop to go to. With a d/d that sees 50 miles a day or more in the muck we call weather it's tough to keep the car looking good all on my own.

PS; Nice work from Haury's too.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:19 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by DFC4S
SORRY... did not intend to insult! Again... sounds like their quality has improved since I last checked out their installs which were just kits at the time and they were just starting to do VS installs! My point was to recommend an installer for the OP which he did use.
No, worries, but you got to check my car out. Then you can decide how you feel about them. I feel they deserve a bit more credit then what you posted, that's all.

Originally Posted by mongrelcat
She looks great Stealth, congrats. Mine doesn't have any film yet but was just in for a laquering and you're right, they do fine work at Metropolitan.

I probably found out about them from your posts here, so thanks. Really glad to have a quality shop to go to. With a d/d that sees 50 miles a day or more in the muck we call weather it's tough to keep the car looking good all on my own.

PS; Nice work from Haury's too.
I just needed to get the film on after the paint was was nicely done from Haury's.

Yea, that was my thought at all, having a DD with a very nice fresh paint, it needed to be protected, or look like poop in a few weeks of driving I-5.

My car looks good from 10ft right now, but it needs a good detail as well. It will happen after the suspension goes in.

Quick Reply: 3M or not 3M, that is the question