Sponsored by:

$39,995 1995 993

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 10:45 AM
BMWDavid
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $39,995 1995 993

Has anyone seen the Silver with grey/blue interior '95 993 on ebay with a $39,995 price? Lot of pictures and the car appears to be a super clean example. Overpriced?

What is the opinion of others here on this car? I'm getting in the market for a super nice 993 C2 coupe with six speed.

Anyway was interested to see if anyone had personal knowledge of this car as well as the opinion of others.

Thanks!

David
Old 01-22-2011, 11:42 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Mileage? Link?
Old 01-22-2011, 11:53 AM
Damien Lewis
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it's a gorgeous car. I believe that low-mileage, properly sorted out cars deserve a higher price-point simply because someone else has already been through the car and tweaked it to perfection. Obviously this seller is no joke and has taken a lot of measures to insure that this is a solid car. The only question that comes to mind at this point is whether or not you truly want to shell out $40K for a non-varioram engined car. Otherwise, I think there is no question the car is solid...You can buy a 1995 in the $30k range - but will it be truly as fresh as a car with low miles, totally sorted out and serviced with records? Maybe not - but you'll spend less up front and subsequently more on the back end...so in the end, you'll truly pay $40K for a cheaper car...just not all at once. I always value paying more up front for a no-questions/no b.s. car than less money on a higher-mileage questionable car that you end up paying to fix in the long run.

Good Luck!

Damien
Old 01-22-2011, 12:03 PM
P-daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 278 Posts

+1 Couldn't agree more
Originally Posted by Damien Lewis
I think it's a gorgeous car. I believe that low-mileage, properly sorted out cars deserve a higher price-point simply because someone else has already been through the car and tweaked it to perfection. Obviously this seller is no joke and has taken a lot of measures to insure that this is a solid car. The only question that comes to mind at this point is whether or not you truly want to shell out $40K for a non-varioram engined car. Otherwise, I think there is no question the car is solid...You can buy a 1995 in the $30k range - but will it be truly as fresh as a car with low miles, totally sorted out and serviced with records? Maybe not - but you'll spend less up front and subsequently more on the back end...so in the end, you'll truly pay $40K for a cheaper car...just not all at once. I always value paying more up front for a no-questions/no b.s. car than less money on a higher-mileage questionable car that you end up paying to fix in the long run.

Good Luck!

Damien
Old 01-22-2011, 12:17 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Hmmm, I paid $39,000 for my pristine, 36,000 mile '95 993, a nearly flawless car in terms of repair issues, way back in 2002. Have '95 993 values really stayed stable over the past nine years?
Old 01-22-2011, 12:57 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with Damien, but the blue/marble interior will drag this one down to maybe $36K.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-...item3f06babdf7
Old 01-22-2011, 01:54 PM
biosurfer1
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That car has been posted on Ebay and CL for a long time. It popped up on my search, I want to say, well over a year ago. It may be a different owner b ut the price hasn't changed during that time. Over-priced by $5-6k if you ask me. dcdude is right, it takes a particular buyer for that interior.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:06 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

I have to disagree also. Seems like the car is overpriced. The car looks to be sitting at stock US ride height, which probably means it has the original Monroe shocks--I would guess you will drop $3-5k on the suspension in the near future.

I paid $36,000 for a 95 with 36,000 miles on it in 2004. I think this car is over priced.

--Joe
Old 01-22-2011, 02:17 PM
BMWDavid
Instructor

Sorry I did not include the link...thanks Chuck for doing that.

I agree that the interior might be a negative. Almost need to see it in person. I do have a bit of concern that it is not a Varioram but then this car will never have the SAI CEL issue.

I wish I lived closer to at least put eye ***** on this car. Even if I did buy it the whole inspection/shipping thing becomes a hassle. Still hoping someone here will see it or know of it.

Biosurfer1...you say this car has been listed on Ebay and CL before and for a while at that. Hmmm...leads me to think that it is priced high and perhaps the blue/grey color combo distracts.

I'm willing to pay for a nice car but don't want to buy something that would be hard to sell at some time in the future due to color combo.

I'm sure there are other 993's that are super clean and solid for sale but my location just makes it hard to see these cars. I got really lucky with my '89 3.2 after I made the decision to find one (my first Porsche!) as the nearby dealer just happened to have the car the day I dropped by.

David
Old 01-22-2011, 02:29 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Now that I've seen the listing and have learned that it's a 28,000 mile car, I still think it's quite overpriced. Stock suspension, cup wheels and gray interior do not a $40K 993 make. Just because the seller paid $40,000 for it back in August 2010 does not mean that he did not overpay. I wish him luck finding someone else who will overpay.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:32 PM
tdiferrari
Intermediate

Or you could buy my 97 C4S Black/black with 38k mi, with an updated suspension for a few quid more.

Roy
Old 01-22-2011, 02:39 PM
mjsporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by BMWDavid
Sorry I did not include the link...thanks Chuck for doing that.

I agree that the interior might be a negative. Almost need to see it in person. I do have a bit of concern that it is not a Varioram but then this car will never have the SAI CEL issue.

I wish I lived closer to at least put eye ***** on this car. Even if I did buy it the whole inspection/shipping thing becomes a hassle. Still hoping someone here will see it or know of it.

Biosurfer1...you say this car has been listed on Ebay and CL before and for a while at that. Hmmm...leads me to think that it is priced high and perhaps the blue/grey color combo distracts.

I'm willing to pay for a nice car but don't want to buy something that would be hard to sell at some time in the future due to color combo.

I'm sure there are other 993's that are super clean and solid for sale but my location just makes it hard to see these cars. I got really lucky with my '89 3.2 after I made the decision to find one (my first Porsche!) as the nearby dealer just happened to have the car the day I dropped by.

David
David,

There are many cars out there that are better values. Check out Holt if the East Coast is better for you.

$40K on a 993 narrow body is stupid money, especially on a private basis.

You questioned about ease of resale. It is a factor to consider but you need to love the car first. IMHO, after you become the 5th owner, try to sell a gray/blue interior for $35K and you will be sitting with it for a long while.

Personally I love the exterior but blue interior dash, etc. kills it for me.

Mark
Old 01-22-2011, 02:54 PM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Now that I've seen the listing and have learned that it's a 28,000 mile car, I still think it's quite overpriced. Stock suspension, cup wheels and gray interior do not a $40K 993 make. Just because the seller paid $40,000 for it back in August 2010 does not mean that he did not overpay. I wish him luck finding someone else who will overpay.

I agree with Mark.

And I tip my hat to the seller for saying the price is "firm" in this super-soft market.
Old 01-22-2011, 03:30 PM
BMWDavid
Instructor

Thanks for all of the reply's. I've never heard of Holt Motorsports but just checked their site. They have several 993's and I've contacted them for prices.

Bit of a pain to have to ask about price and I mentioned that to them.

David
Old 01-22-2011, 05:24 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lI do have a bit of concern that it is not a Varioram
Don't even worry about this. The pluses and minuses offset. Many more important factors to be concerned with.

Thanks for all of the reply's. I've never heard of Holt Motorsports but just checked their site. They have several 993's and I've contacted them for prices.

Bit of a pain to have to ask about price and I mentioned that to them.

David
He doesn't negotiate too much, but once you understand the market, you can pretty much figure out what you're willing to pay regardless of his price.

Quick Reply: $39,995 1995 993