Sponsored by: DashLynx

How to clean front condenser?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2011, 02:03 PM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts
Default How to clean front condenser?

In reading the posts regarding the oil cooler and AC condenser, I hear of dirt and debris building up in there. What is the quick and easy way to access and clean? I am hoping the wheel well tubs could be removed and give enough access, but I wanted to get feedback from those who have done this.

Thanks!
Neal
Old 01-21-2011, 02:11 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by techman1
In reading the posts regarding the oil cooler and AC condenser, I hear of dirt and debris building up in there. What is the quick and easy way to access and clean? I am hoping the wheel well tubs could be removed and give enough access, but I wanted to get feedback from those who have done this.

Thanks!
Neal
there isn't one

You really need to get access to both sides. Lots of stuff collects on the front side (intake side) so you'll want to remove all the lower covers as well and the fender liners.

And then you only limited access to the front. You will need to loosen the whole units off the inner fender wells so you can peel them back to have good access and do a good job getting all the junk out of the.

Just pull as much stuff out with your hands and then blow the rest out with compressed air at low to moderate PSI.

It will probably take a couple few hours to do both sides.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:36 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Neal,

With a little patience you can remove the RH and LH front fender liners without pulling the aft ones. Take it slow and it can be done. Putting them back in is easier than getting them out.

With the front liners out you'll have some access to the rear of the heat exchangers. A thorough flush 'forward' with (hot) water will do a good job. I would use a regular garden hose with normal pressure and hot water if you have a hookup. This will flush the junk out toward the grill.

Before you do this you can get the car up a bit and with a good flashlight look in at the heat exchangers to see what you have for debris in there. A good flush from the front may be all you need.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:16 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

my 2 cents...

I would not worry too much about the rear, that is self cleaning.. it the fron that collected the garbage (I actually had an old gas cap lodged in the oil cooler, go figure). Getting to the front is easy, just remove the lower splitter (4 screws) and it slides out (pull forward, not down). easy peasy

Jeff
Old 01-21-2011, 04:35 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by jscott82
my 2 cents...

I would not worry too much about the rear, that is self cleaning.. it the fron that collected the garbage (I actually had an old gas cap lodged in the oil cooler, go figure). Getting to the front is easy, just remove the lower splitter (4 screws) and it slides out (pull forward, not down). easy peasy

Jeff

The OEM front bumper cover is one piece. There is no lower section to remove.
Old 01-21-2011, 04:57 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mike cap
The OEM front bumper cover is one piece. There is no lower section to remove.
Turbo Bumper is one piece, standard bumper is as per Jeff.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:12 PM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Thanks for all the encouragement and information!
I will attempt and report any differences and tips.

Neal
Old 01-23-2011, 09:32 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Once you get this area very clean, I think an easy way to maintain it is with a leaf blower and a shop vacuum.

Prior to each car washing (dry), I use the leaf blower to blow out the front air intakes. Stuff will fly out each time. Then, after washing (wet) I use the leaf blower again (also to dry the entire car, wheels, and cross drilled rotors) and more stuff will blow out after being wet.

Lastly, prior to winter strorage, I duct tape a small vacuum hose to the shop vac with a crevice tool, or an even smaller section of 3/4 inch tubing, and suck out any remaining debris.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:40 PM
techman1
Burning Brakes

Yep, lower section of front bumper can come off in two pieces, left and right. Pulls straight...BUT there is a few screws to remove from the bottom that secures it to the bottom pan. There is also a tricky bolt to remove.

Tricky to get at. It connects the upper and lower bumper together, as well as ties in the front wheel liner. First remove the screw in the liner, directly in front of the tire, about 3 oclock. This will allow you to pull the liner out a little and then reach in the gap with a 8mm socket on a handle, The bolt that holds this all together goes thru the top bumper, the bottom bumper and into the bracket. Watch the orientation before the bracket falls, kinda tricky to put back. This last bolt removed, the piece will pull straight forward.

Quick Reply: How to clean front condenser?