Battery Dying & fan/housing paint

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 04:28 AM
nbuyabis
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Battery Dying & fan/housing paint

Hi Guys,

I would like to share with you a problem that i found a cure for. That is the battery dying after driving it 3-4 times.

After painting (powder coating) the fan and housing the battery started dying after a couple of drives. Three batteries later, i suspected the dyno was dead and thus not sending charge to the battery.

Took out the the alternator and tested it.. when grounded it was able to light a bulb. However, when the ground wire is placed on the housing it doesnt.

i concluded that the paint on the fan housing was not creating a ground and thus not charging. Connected a wire from the car's body to fan housing and Voila!!!

I have been driving the car for the past week with no problems whatsoever!

i will be removing the wire this weekend and remove the paint right under the belt that wraps the fan housing in place. Apparently, this belt creates the ground (earth) needed to charge.

Hope this helps

Br,

Najeeb Buyabis
----------------------------
'95 993 Iris blue
"Proud owner for 16 years"
Old 01-20-2011, 07:21 AM
Macca
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thanks you for posting this finding. Its a most valuable data point for those of us that have also repainted the fan and housing and although i have had no issue wth my Odyssey gel cel battery since this modifcation was done thissure will save some time trouble shooting if the problem develops or for those that experience same...

Cheers
Old 01-20-2011, 10:27 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 646 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by nbuyabis
Three batteries later, i suspected the dyno was dead and thus not sending charge to the battery.
Which is why I've installed a digital voltmeter connected directly to my battery...just so that I know whats going on at all times.

I also like to use a star washer between an electrical connector and a painted surface (does not apply in your case)...
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Battery Dying & fan/housing paint