993 Forum 1995-1998

993 Targa roof maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 03:27 PM
COSMO 911
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 993 Targa roof maintenance

I have a 993 Targa which has been garaged all winter. In preparation for the spring I would like to give the Targa roof mechanism a service and adjustment.

Can anybody help with advice about a basic maintenance procedure for lubrication of runners and adjustments needed etc to keep the mechanism in tip top condition.

Thanks.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:16 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can anybody help with advice about a basic maintenance procedure for lubrication of runners and adjustments needed etc to keep the mechanism in tip top condition.
My advice is don't do anything and especially don't try to lubricate the tracks. All I do is periodically vacuum out the rail areas with a strong vacuum and make sure the bolts in the guides are tightened to spec (not overtightened). That's it. Lube will attract dirt and eventually gum up the works (literally) so I wouldn't go there, tempting though it may be.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:04 PM
COSMO 911
8th Gear

Originally Posted by 2Many Cars
My advice is don't do anything and especially don't try to lubricate the tracks. All I do is periodically vacuum out the rail areas with a strong vacuum and make sure the bolts in the guides are tightened to spec (not overtightened). That's it. Lube will attract dirt and eventually gum up the works (literally) so I wouldn't go there, tempting though it may be.
Thanks for the reply and as you say probably best to leave well alone!

The Targa roof does seem to be a frightening prospect if it goes wrong so I just thought it best to do whatever preventative maintenance that is recommended.

Thanks again
Old 01-20-2011, 10:22 AM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to Mikej's site http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.php/Main_Page
and read up on the Targa stuff, especially the TSBs pertaining to the top. Periodic adjustmaent and checking of the tightness of bolts is sometimes necessary. The main things are, do't let stuff fall into the track, don't lubricate it with anything other than maybe some dry lube and don't over torque anything. The rear drains should be checked to avoid the rust problem MikeJ had.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:22 PM
COSMO 911
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Amfab
Go to Mikej's site http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.php/Main_Page
and read up on the Targa stuff, especially the TSBs pertaining to the top. Periodic adjustmaent and checking of the tightness of bolts is sometimes necessary. The main things are, do't let stuff fall into the track, don't lubricate it with anything other than maybe some dry lube and don't over torque anything. The rear drains should be checked to avoid the rust problem MikeJ had.
Many thanks Amfab, a really well presented article!

Quick Reply: 993 Targa roof maintenance