Sponsored by:

Clutch fork Shaft - Need Some Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 03:25 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Clutch fork Shaft - Need Some Help

I'm replacing my clutch (this is my first DIY clutch job). The engine is out. I can't seem to get the clutch fork shaft out (no slide hammer).

I was able to remove the cap & the needle bearing (drivers side) and thread a small bolt into then center of the shaft. Try as I might, pulling with a pair of pliers, it won't come out. The shaft is spinning freely.

Am I missing something? It should come out in the direction of the driver's side, right? Does this involve a lot of force? Any tips appreciated.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:46 PM
rsr91128
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I just did mine and it slid right out. I was kid of suprised it was that easy.

Yes, it comes out the drivers side, after removing the bolt, retainer and cap I left the outer bearing in and just pulled on the bolt and it sild out as an assembly.

Have you tried wiggling the top of the arm side to side (through the access hole by slave cylinder) while pulling on the shaft?

Might be that the inner seal is holding you up and it just needs a quick "pop".

Sorry I can't think of a homemade slide hammer that would work right now, unless you got a really long bolt and put a socket on the bolt and used it to smack against the bolt head.

Good luck, wish I had better advice for you.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:06 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you've got it rght...

sometimes that shaft gets stuck in there pretty good.

if you put a small pair of needle nose vise grips on the bolt you inserted you can use another lever (large screwdriver, pry bar) and pry on the vide grip against the trans case

best tool is a slide hammer... but that the above is a way around it.

EDIT: I took too long to click "Post Reply"... Erik summed it up well!
Old 01-18-2011, 04:43 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

I used a flexible steel grabber tool and pushed it out from the other side.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:50 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
I used a flexible steel grabber tool and pushed it out from the other side.
funny,, totally forgot. yes, there is a hole on the other side... a punch will do the trick
Old 01-18-2011, 05:15 PM
Vorsicht
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Thanks!

Thank you all for the help. Crisis averted. I realized I had taken off the four main bolts prior to this step and the bell housing was slightly kittywampus. I tightened the bolts up and then the shaft came right out! On to the pressure plate bolts....
Old 01-18-2011, 06:00 PM
bobt993
Rennlist Member

Make sure you have the alignment tool for centering the clutch/pressure plate. Seems simple, but it is pita to do it without it. When reinstalling, you need to wiggle the stub axles a little while sliding the trans back in to get the spline to line up. Also tape the clutch fork in place onto the TO bearing and avoid running the tape over the hole in the center. Sounds stupid, but easy to forget. After 3 of 4 of these you can just drop the trans without taking the engine out (just need to lower and tilt it). I use a small inspection mirror to line up the clutch fork and slide the pin in by feel. Good luck.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:25 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rsr91128
I just did mine and it slid right out. I was kid of suprised it was that easy.

Yes, it comes out the drivers side, after removing the bolt, retainer and cap I left the outer bearing in and just pulled on the bolt and it sild out as an assembly.
Yup. I didn't have a long 6mm (?) bolt only one about 30mm long. Screwed it in and grabbed it w/ channel locks, expected it to be difficult but nearly fell off the stool when I jerked on it, it came out so easy.

One of the screws holding the guide tube was another matter, wound up using a hand impact (impact driver you hit with a hammer) to get it loosened.

Quick Reply: Clutch fork Shaft - Need Some Help