Annoying dash whine when AC on

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 11:32 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Annoying dash whine when AC on

When I turn on the AC I hear an annoying little whine/whirr from inside the dash. Hard to pinpoint, but definitely inside. I hear it more if I put my ear to the vent, esp the passenger far side vent.

Is this just the little CCU cooling fan needing grease, or is this something worse, like having to get to the AC system by the firewall???

Thanks,
Old 01-18-2011, 11:40 AM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 259 Posts

Two common faults:
The CCU fan may be broken, but that's supposed to run all the time when ignition is on, not only when A/C is switched on.
The resirculation flap with actuator may not be opening when desired.(vacuum fault) That could cause air whining when the fans try to draw air through/past closed flaps.
Have a look here for details:
ccu.tore.bergvill.com
Cheers,
Tore
Old 01-18-2011, 12:23 PM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had that problem last year and I was expecting the unit needing to be replaced. Fortunately my mechanic found out that it was just needing lube. He also found the pollen filters were installed backwards (by a dealer up north. Unreal!) allowing too much air inside and not sealing properly. Possibly a contributing factor but I have a feeling it was mostly the lube because I drove the car a long time with the filters backwards and there was no whining noise. The problem never came back. Hope yours is just as simple.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:13 PM
tonypai
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How the heck do you install the pollen filters backwards? They only go one way or the fixture won't close. Crazy.

Follow ToreB's procedure to clean your fan and see if that fixes your problem. I just did it yesterday and it took me less than 2 hours, it's pretty straightforward.

Tore - Thanks for the great write up.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:32 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

The pollen filters can be installed incorrectly and not seated properly. I have done it. I don't know if backwards is possible..... Makes a lot of wind noise when they are in wrong.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:30 PM
ToreB
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 259 Posts

Thank you for your feedback tonypai.
Cheers from Norway
Tore

Quick Reply: Annoying dash whine when AC on