Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Group Buy RS Motor Mounts from Sunset

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2011, 09:39 PM
99three
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not doing it just for the mounts. But like ABCar, I will reinforce it when doing some other maintenance type of work.
Old 01-17-2011, 02:08 AM
cosmic_993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there instructions on how to remove the carrier from the car and then re-install?
Old 01-17-2011, 02:32 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmic_993
Is there instructions on how to remove the carrier from the car and then re-install?
No formal instructions, essentially you need to strip the front of the engine done to undo the carrier from the engine itself. Part of that is to support the engine, remove the exhaust from the cat to the mufflers, removed the A/C and all belts, all tin on that side of the engine, pull the O2 sensor cables, remove the A/C support, remove the crank pulley, and then you are deep enough into it to remove the carrier.

If someone goes that deep, they might as well do the chain cover gaskets, since they are so exposed at that point. Hell, they can check the timing of the cams if they want at that point...

Pull the carrier off, get it welded and repainted, and then do it all in reverse.

I can go it but I wanted to guage if I needed to do it. I think I will put the RS mounts in for now, and see what happens. If I end up with some problems, then I will fix it, otherwise it will be next winter.

If you want to see what it looks like, check out my site, you will see pictures of the front of the engine apart while the engine is in the car: http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.php/Cranking_it_up

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-17-2011, 10:59 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
No formal instructions, essentially you need to strip the front of the engine done to undo the carrier from the engine itself. Part of that is to support the engine, remove the exhaust from the cat to the mufflers, removed the A/C and all belts, all tin on that side of the engine, pull the O2 sensor cables, remove the A/C support, remove the crank pulley, and then you are deep enough into it to remove the carrier.

If someone goes that deep, they might as well do the chain cover gaskets, since they are so exposed at that point. Hell, they can check the timing of the cams if they want at that point...

Pull the carrier off, get it welded and repainted, and then do it all in reverse.

I can go it but I wanted to guage if I needed to do it. I think I will put the RS mounts in for now, and see what happens. If I end up with some problems, then I will fix it, otherwise it will be next winter.

If you want to see what it looks like, check out my site, you will see pictures of the front of the engine apart while the engine is in the car: http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.php/Cranking_it_up

Cheers,

Mike
Mike, why in the world won't that "J bracket" (I don't know what it's official name is) come off w/out removing the crank pulley? When I dropped my engine I had all the bolts holding the "J" removed but it just couldn't get by the pulley. It made no sense to me why the pulley should have to come off. There just seemed to be a lip on the "J" that kept it from getting past the pulley.

What I'm calling the "J" bracket is the aluminum piece that goes under the pulley, crosses the upper left portion of the right cam chain cover and eventually supports the A/C compressor.

Maybe if I had pulled the pulley and removed the "J" I would understand why it is necessary.

Last edited by Slow Guy; 12-24-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 03:43 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Just placed my order. Looks like we are at 13 including 3 orders from Canada which require a bit more work to make happen, but either way, we look good. Thanks guys for coming through!
Old 01-17-2011, 03:45 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cool:-)
Old 01-17-2011, 04:12 PM
jhummel68
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vincer77
Just placed my order. Looks like we are at 13 including 3 orders from Canada which require a bit more work to make happen, but either way, we look good. Thanks guys for coming through!
Vince,
Thanks for leading the charge!
Old 01-17-2011, 05:58 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vincer77
Good to hear. Thanks to Firesm for streamlining our Canadian orders.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:49 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Way to go Vince!
Old 01-17-2011, 10:07 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just so I understand...

This is about a $25 savings off retail. And it is recommended to do the carrier reinforcement to avoid problems....

Correct?
Old 01-17-2011, 10:26 PM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds about right. Love the Turquoise btw
Old 01-17-2011, 10:59 PM
SuperUser
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ABCar
Sounds about right. Love the Turquoise btw
hard not to
Old 01-17-2011, 11:00 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

thanks guys
Old 01-17-2011, 11:02 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hi Jonathan,

Yeah, the savings are not that large, but there never are sales on Porsche parts, so its a good deal.

I am going to reinforce my carrier next year, I think it should be OK for now. Do not really plan to really abuse the car so the carrier should not take an excessive amount of strain.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-17-2011, 11:04 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Paul902
Good to hear. Thanks to Firesm for streamlining our Canadian orders.
Not sure what is being done to streamline? We are getting the shipped to Seattle using a US credit card, and then bring them up on a business trip.

What is the "other deal"? BTW, my order for one has not turned into two, so the count may be higher.

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: Group Buy RS Motor Mounts from Sunset