Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Do 993's have child seat anchors? My wife wants me to sell my 993 if not. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 08:09 PM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Your mother's Riv probably weighed two tons, and wasn't surrounded by idiots texting in Ford Excursions. Sorry, but there was a fatality in this exact scenario 1/2 a block from my house a couple of months ago, so I guess it is fresh in my mind.
I'd have to disagree with Ed's idea of "get a bigger car with more sheet metal". (But given the above info, I can see why he's thinking that way...) By that justification, Ed, we should all be driving M1 Abrams tanks.

I can avoid an accident in my 993 better than I could in an Excursion (readily available tank substitute), whether by stopping faster or driving around it.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:35 PM
Aircooled Dave
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JPS
Finally, in the post just above mine, I suggest you look at the links above for the rear tether mount point hidden behind your rear dash. Makes a big difference, esp. for these cars since there is so little seat for the car seat to sit on...makes them very prone to forward tipping.
I agree. It's a bit frustrating that the US cars did not come with this from the factory, but it is well documented on what the parts are and how to do it. The use of an upper tether really helps keep everything secure. I can also recommend the use of the racing mounts (rennline). This allows the use of the latch tether. This allows for an easier and more secure fitting of the child seat compared to the seatbelt in my experience.

Originally Posted by JPS
FWIW, I've been discussing installation of car seats in the 993 with a car seat installer. I'm not sure I believe/buy her specs, but she maintains there is NOT sufficient clearance from the child seat to the rear of the passenger/driver seat. She maintains 28" with a tether and 32" without a tether to avoid head impact.

However, I can't find reference to this anywhere, and that seems like it would eliminate most of the small-midsized cars on the market
I personally believe some of these recommendations are getting out of hand. There is now recommendation to keep a kid rear facing until 2yrs old. There are 2 major problems with that. 1) try getting a 2yr old to sit that way and 2) at that size (25+lbs) it would be backbreaking to get them in/out and the seat would need to be huge to be in the reclined position with a kid that size. it may be the safest based on some theoretical study, but it's not practical IMO. Transporting yourself or your kid in a car is a risk no matter what.

If you combine this new rear facing 2yr old recommendation along with the 28"-32" spacing rule everyone would need to drive a Ford Econoline Van with just a center seat to meet all these requirements.

The wife drives a Q7 and there is no way we would be able to fit a rear facing child seat with 28-32" of space to the front seat as-is. I would imagine nearly all cars would have an issue with that requirement, even with the current standard of rear facing up to 1yr, not 2.

Bottom line here is that there are ways of getting child seats into a 993. I've done it and others have obviously done it as well. The standards and seats do change over time (typically in ~2yr design cycles) so people need to keep 're-inventing' ways to make it work.

My recipe for child seat installation:
1) Rennline 'racing' mounts to enable use of latch system.
2) Modification to add upper tether mount.
3) Lots of research on what is available and do lots of test fitting. Some seats fit pretty good, others don't.

There are obviously more practical cars for hauling kids around, but the 993 can do it. It just takes a little time and effort to find the right parts to make it work.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:29 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Then, you are stuck until 12 months when you can use one of the forward facing options detailed earlier.
Be careful of that one. The latest, and frankly, this is just the latest officially (it has long been suggested by seat installers, pediatricians, and seat manufacturers), to keep the child in the "youngest" configuration until the max of the seat. In other words, if your rear facing seat goes to 40" or 40lbs, then try to keep your child rear facing until one of those is true. In our case, we made it almost to 2 years, when motion sickness outweighed other things. There are tons of arguments to the contrary...read the site and decide for yourself.

If you combine this new rear facing 2yr old recommendation along with the 28"-32" spacing rule everyone would need to drive a Ford Econoline Van with just a center seat to meet all these requirements.
To be clear, she was talking about that for forward facing. My guy is 4 1/2 years old. Sorry, didn't give that clarity before. I don't think you need really any clearance between front seat and child seat when rear facing...not sure, but certainly not 28-32". Yes, we are talking those face to face seats on a train to get that kind of clearance.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:29 AM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

sell the kid.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:43 PM
shu
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered the Maxi Cosi Convertible and plan to install it rear facing. I read that someone here had done this sucessfully. I'll report back with pics.......I may chose to install the rennline harness mounts.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:01 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by John H
sell the kid.
Only because my kids are soooo old can I laugh at that!

Quick Reply: Do 993's have child seat anchors? My wife wants me to sell my 993 if not. HELP!