Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Car maintained by Callas Rennsport - PPI needed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 01:27 AM
SCMomentum
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cannot recommend Tony enough. His "wrench" capabilities are not the main reason why.
He is HONEST and has integrity. He will not lie and he would not be worried about the current owner's feelings. If you pay him for a PPI, then that is what you will get and he will not pull any punches.

There are plenty of other places to have this done and I am certain that those already listed would do an outstanding job. Bottom line is that you will be better than "just fine" if you hire Tony and his guys to perform the PPI and you can count on his word when all is said and done.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:55 AM
Fly911
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

If Tony Callas (Rennsport, California) is half as good as his father Mike Callas (Rennsport, Texas), then he is one of the best Porsche mechanics in the US. I would have trusted him with my life. Give Tony a call and talk to him about the car. Based on that, you could save your PPI money, or spend it elsewhere if you feel that Tony is biased.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:42 AM
kevin993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ego? Callas? That is the funniest thing I've seen all week by far.

Tony, Tom, Ray and the team are the best. It would make Tony physically ill to send you on your way without a complete and honest assessment of your car. Understand the desire and theory for an independent view and see the logic, but you can't substitute going to the best.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:16 AM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Let's just wrap this thing up....

Bruce Anderson will tell you, very few know more about the 993, its highs and lows, than Tony Callas. Just take your car there and get ur dun!
Old 01-13-2011, 12:37 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by RJT
I Love Art at Arredondo Motorsports. I worked with him at Callas Rennsport, but as Mike had said, he used to work for Tony and I am not 100% sure about how their relationship ended so I don't know if that would be the place to take it for the PPI. Don't get me wrong, Art is a fantastic mechanic and I would 100% trust any of my cars with Art, matter of fact, if Tony was out of the picture, Art would be the one who I'd let work on my Porsches if I still lived in the South Bay. In this case however, I think there might just be a little conflict of interest.
Well, when I used to take my car to Tony, Art was the only one I ever saw working on it (and I usually stayed with my car). I chose to stick with the mechanic rather than the shop.

I have no idea how Art left it with Tony when he went to start his own shop. I would imagine, just like any employee leaving a job to become a potential competitor, it wasn't exactly easy. However, knowing Art for the past 5 years and talking with him about cars, other shops and mechanics including Kenny at Werkstatt and even Tony, I think the possibility of a "conflict of interest" is a non-issue. Art is a generous professional in every sense. Enough said about that.

For me, this is more a case of a "fresh set of eyes" than anything else. There are so many great mechanics in the area. I think once you've gotten to Tony's, Art's and Kenny's level, you're really splitting hairs.

Originally Posted by Martin S.
Bruce Anderson will tell you, very few know more about the 993, its highs and lows, than Tony Callas. Just take your car there and get ur dun!
You mean this Bruce Anderson?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Last edited by gonzilla; 01-13-2011 at 12:58 PM.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:01 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Smile That is the guy.....

The value of the 993 cars, in Bruce's estimation, has always been a subject of controversy. Us 993 owners all think they are worth a lot, because of their value to us...I bought my 1997 NB in Dec 1999, paid a pretty penny for it, over $60,000.

It is worth a lot to me personally (Invaluable?) based on my love for the car. It has been very reliable and does an incredible job at the track, 99% of its present chores...bit it is still smog legal in Cali. I want the option to drive it on the street...living down a 2 1/2 mile dirt road, she doesn't get out that often.

Be that as it may, Bruce Anderson's opinion means a lot to me, and probably lots of other folks. His CV and overall knowledge of the P-Car is world class. He may not think my car is as valuable as I do...mine is invaluable; I don't want to sell "Baby"! He is a big proponent of Tony Callas...that means a lot to some of us.

Last point, for those of us that live in SoCal, some of us have attended Tony Callas' 993 Tech Sessions...about 100 people usually show up. You always learn something new...I hope he does another one soon.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:28 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

A SoCal rumor proved the value of a PPI not performed by the shop that maintained the vehicle,
as the PPI indicated some marginal maintenance/repairs and a non-documented accident.

Bottom line: A wise decision saved potential buyer's remorse and future costly repair bills.
Furthermore, a shop's notoriety doesn't always indicate premier service.

Quick Reply: Car maintained by Callas Rennsport - PPI needed?