Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Just gorgeous!
Old 01-11-2011, 09:13 AM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

that car fits no LeMans class regulations.... WTF do they think they're going to do, show up at LaSarthe and the ACO will just say 'yeesssss, we create a class just for you so you can weeeeen it' ???

I love the car, I love the integration of the Williams flywheel from last year's 911-based testbed, but what is this about ? I can only see it running at the 24 Hours at the Nurburgring, it meets no other class specs for FIA-GT1, ACO, ALMS, FIA-GT2 or FIA-GT3..... so WTF ?

I have seen NO explanation what the 917-like fan between the two engine air intakes is for or does...
Old 01-11-2011, 10:18 AM
RDS928S
Rennlist Member

Received 677 Likes on 307 Posts

Was that a horizontal fan just like the 917's I saw in the slow motion overhead shot?
Old 01-11-2011, 02:56 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,781 Likes on 1,705 Posts

Originally Posted by DB_NC_95C2
that car fits no LeMans class regulations.... WTF do they think they're going to do, show up at LaSarthe and the ACO will just say 'yeesssss, we create a class just for you so you can weeeeen it' ???

I love the car, I love the integration of the Williams flywheel from last year's 911-based testbed, but what is this about ? I can only see it running at the 24 Hours at the Nurburgring, it meets no other class specs for FIA-GT1, ACO, ALMS, FIA-GT2 or FIA-GT3..... so WTF ?

I have seen NO explanation what the 917-like fan between the two engine air intakes is for or does...
Relax buddy. It's all going to be okay, I promise.

The car is called the 918RSR Lab as in "this is an experiment to create something new." Kudos to Porsche for drawing way outside the lines. You can't create something truly original if you design it to fit a class. That's an oxymoron. For the time being it will run on its own under an experimental class or under invitation. If the car succeeds, other manufacturers are likely going to follow suit (I'm sure some are already) and that will lead to current classes being modified or new classes being created to accommodate these hybrids in the future. One only has to look at mandates like the Kyoto Agreement to understand that hybrids are the future, whether we like it or not. A future that Porsche is attempting to take a lead in.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:10 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Avid Fan
Relax buddy. It's all going to be okay, I promise.

The car is called the 918RSR Lab as in "this is an experiment to create something new." Kudos to Porsche for drawing way outside the lines. For the time being it will run on its own. If the car succeeds, other manufacturers are likely going to follow suit (I'm sure some are already) and that will lead to current classes being modified or new classes being created to accommodate these hybrids in the future. One only has to look at mandates like the Kyoto Agreement to understand that hybrids are the future, whether we like it or not. A future that Porsche is attempting to take a lead in.
of course it's going to be ok, we all knew when they announced the 918 Spyder that something like this was coming. I'm not upset with Porsche for creating this machine, I loved the advent of the 911RSHybrid and WISH it had won the 24 Rennen at the Nurburgring. What I shake my head about is all the marketing hoopla (and I will admit it's necessary, and Porsche does it oh so well). I am also ticked off at the ACO for saying they're the forefront of environmentally-conscious racing, they should have already done their job and created a hybrid classification. Peugeot's 908HY cannot be officially raced because the ACO is dragging their feet, and there is word of Toyota developing a LMP Hybrid. Kudos for Porsche for pushing the envelope, they are going to have their hands full once the other manufacturers have a class to race in. Perhaps Porsche is starting to put more energy in this direction than GT2 because without a V8 like the new RUF dry-sump the new Michelotto 458 is likely to spank the 911GT3RSR this year. I'm hoping the Williams flywheel connection bodes for a Porsche engine in the new 2013 F1 turbo regulations, apparently Audi will continue to be the VWAG 'endurance prototype' marque, which also ticks me off. I hate Audi, I root for Peugeot until/if Porsche returns to LaSarthe.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:12 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,781 Likes on 1,705 Posts

Originally Posted by DB_NC_95C2
of course it's going to be ok, we all knew when they announced the 918 Spyder that something like this was coming. I'm not upset with Porsche for creating this machine, I loved the advent of the 911RSHybrid and WISH it had won the 24 Rennen at the Nurburgring. What I shake my head about is all the marketing hoopla (and I will admit it's necessary, and Porsche does it oh so well). I am also ticked off at the ACO for saying they're the forefront of environmentally-conscious racing, they should have already done their job and created a hybrid classification. Peugeot's 908HY cannot be officially raced because the ACO is dragging their feet, and there is word of Toyota developing a LMP Hybrid. Kudos for Porsche for pushing the envelope, they are going to have their hands full once the other manufacturers have a class to race in. Perhaps Porsche is starting to put more energy in this direction than GT2 because without a V8 like the new RUF dry-sump the new Michelotto 458 is likely to spank the 911GT3RSR this year. I'm hoping the Williams flywheel connection bodes for a Porsche engine in the new 2013 F1 turbo regulations, apparently Audi will continue to be the VWAG 'endurance prototype' marque, which also ticks me off. I hate Audi, I root for Peugeot until/if Porsche returns to LaSarthe.
Agreed. The marketing hoopla is absolutely necessary and no doubt, Porsche is brilliant at it. As for the rest of it, we simply just don't know what's going on and there's no sense in speculating. Porsche Motorsports has long been rumored to want a mid-engine chassis/V8 engine to compete against Ferrari (quite likely because, as you pointed out, the 911/Mezger platform has been pushed to its motorsport developmental limit). Now they have it. As you point out, ACO waves the green flag but their actions haven't yet to catch up to their claims. Maybe they've been looking for commitment to hybrid technology from a handful of manufacturers before amending GT class? If so, the 918 has just pushed ACO one step closer to making the change. Viewed another way, maybe this car is a bridge between the 911 platform and an LMP car that allows them to test/market their hybrid technology. Porsche has also been recently quoted as saying they have a few more tricks up their sleeve in regards to Motorsport developments but then there is the issue of Audi and VAGs mandate. Who knows what kind of dynamics are going on there. At the end of the day, this development and recent claims are creating a message that Porsche is returning to Motorsports in a big way and that's a good thing.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:36 PM
M Fig
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

thanks guys...I just spent the last hour watching youtube Porsche videos...I've got work to do!!!

cool videos though...
Old 01-12-2011, 03:33 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

heheheh , the single best comment I have seen yet on the 918RSR:

this comment is from mariantic.co.uk/lmp (for those that don't know it it's my single best source of endurance racing news)
Attached Images  
Old 01-13-2011, 07:08 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

more on the Detroit auto show

http://sniffpetrol.com/2011/01/13/detroit-show-2011/

;-)

Quick Reply: Porsche heading back to Le Mans 24: New 918 RSR