Sponsored by:

Woodlawn Import Cars in Phila.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 08:54 PM
NoWalnuts
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Woodlawn Import Cars in Phila.

I think I have located a nice coupe worth purchasing. The seller has a PPI performed by Woodlawn Import Car repair in Philadelphia. Any recommendations on this shop's ability with P cars ? Are there better shops in Philadelphia to have a PPI performed ? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:11 PM
ricks993
Racer

I have owned 12 911’s and been a member of PCA for 20 years in the Phila area. I never have heard of them, that does not mean there are not a good shop;
but I have never seen them advertise in any of the club publications, or know of anyone that has used them for service
In Phila you can use Mike Tillson 215-473-6400. There is a shop in Malvern Pa I would also recommend, Performance Automotive 610-685-9545. There are plenty of Dealers in the area also. What area are you in?

Let me know if you need another opinion. If I am available I would be happy to check out the car with you.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:29 PM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Rennfax! the best is this a great site or what?
Old 01-06-2011, 10:33 PM
PAULUNM
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I used to use Woodlawn for servicing my S6. They seem to be geared more toward Audi, but always had some Porsches in the shop. No complaints here.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:39 AM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

I have been going to John Banha for many years. First it was my VWs, when he worked with his father. He and his brother now run the shop are are the straightest guys you want to meet. I have been taking my pcar to him since I first picked it up. He has logically and systematically walked me through my issues without trying to "takeadvantage" of me in any way. Not only is he authorized and trained by the big P, Audi & MB, he races, instructs and owns several variants of our beloved cars. (He's got a cup, GT, longhood etc). The reason many folks don't know about him is because he is tucked away in Germantown in the original site of the founding of the shop. On any given day, I see more pcar eye candy in there than one would think. I live close by so its easy for me to drop the car off and walk home. There are many guys who come from farther away. He knows his stuff. No flash; just a real pcar lover and mechanic! Tell him Bernie sent you. (No affiliation; they aren't giving me squat for the endorsement etc etc etc.) His rates are in line with other independents in the area, but you can pick his brain for free PM me if you want to know anything else.
PS He's a long time member of Reisentoter. Ask someone over there.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:36 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Pcarhombre, I do like your ***....err I mean tail! I like the Blue/gray color combo too.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:39 AM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ricks993
I have owned 12 911’s and been a member of PCA for 20 years in the Phila area. I never have heard of them, that does not mean there are not a good shop;
but I have never seen them advertise in any of the club publications, or know of anyone that has used them for service
In Phila you can use Mike Tillson 215-473-6400. There is a shop in Malvern Pa I would also recommend, Performance Automotive 610-685-9545. There are plenty of Dealers in the area also. What area are you in?

Let me know if you need another opinion. If I am available I would be happy to check out the car with you.
wow, first and good post at 9:11 pm
Old 01-07-2011, 11:47 AM
deadhead1960
Banned

Originally Posted by NoWalnuts
The seller has a PPI performed by Woodlawn Import Car repair in Philadelphia
Are you implying to go with the seller's PPI; that's a no-no. If for no other reason, get a fresh set of eyes to do the PPI and use the advice given on this board. There are countless stories posted here of seller and mechanic having a "relationship" and as a result the buyer did not get a truly objective PPI...or worse got screwed.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:13 PM
Spidey 993

+1 on that

Originally Posted by deadhead1960
Are you implying to go with the seller's PPI; that's a no-no. If for no other reason, get a fresh set of eyes to do the PPI and use the advice given on this board. There are countless stories posted here of seller and mechanic having a "relationship" and as a result the buyer did not get a truly objective PPI...or worse got screwed.
Old 01-07-2011, 12:49 PM
JimPA
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

+1 on the recommendation of ricks993 for Performance Automotive in Malvern. I've used them for my '98 coupe since moving to Penna in 2004. Pete and Paul know their stuff, don't cut corners and deliver personal service at competitive rates. Feel free to use my name.

Jim Schwartz
Old 01-07-2011, 03:06 PM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JimPA
+1 on the recommendation of ricks993 for Performance Automotive in Malvern. I've used them for my '98 coupe since moving to Penna in 2004. Pete and Paul know their stuff, don't cut corners and deliver personal service at competitive rates. Feel free to use my name.

Jim Schwartz
I use them too, they see a lot of 993.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:10 PM
BlackCar
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Possum Hollow

Been using Bill Boys at Possum Hollow Motorsports in Phoenixville Pa, out past Valley Forge. Very knowledgeable about 993s. Explains what needs to be done and why. Former head mechanic at a local dealer. Shop is always filled with older and newer Porsches. http://www.possumhollowmotorsports.com/index.html
Old 01-07-2011, 06:57 PM
9elheven
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Woodlawn Foreign Autos

I am also able to give a vote of confidence for Woodlawn Garage. I was referred to Woodlawn 6 years ago by AWE for my Audi S4. I drive over 60 miles (one way) to get to them...as I consider Jack and especially John to be extremely knowledgable and providers of (usually) excellent results. Sometimes there are some thorny problems, as with all cars and shops, but they are honest and above-board, and they and their staff seem to want to provide satisfying results. I take my 993 and 944 there as well. Jack loaned me a car to use for over a month at no charge while they had my DD; he said I was "testing it" for him. No affiliation except a very satisfied customer. They seem to have an old world attitude and workmanship, which is no surprise given their family history, and that seems to be rare these days. I'm proud to be their customer; I just wish they weren't so #@%!*^ far away!
Old 01-07-2011, 07:51 PM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

Hey Bill: Thanks! I sure do love a good butt shot!
@Others: I was not making any comment about whether the buyer should rely on a PPI solely from these guys. I was just saying they do good work.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:51 PM
NoWalnuts
8th Gear

Default Many thanks for the tips and offers.

Weather got in the way this weekend of the process so I will be moving the process as soon as I can. I will contact the other shops and determine their scope of work for a PPI. I appreciate the advice and will post some results and pics when done.

Quick Reply: Woodlawn Import Cars in Phila.