Aluminium painted interior parts

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 05:02 AM
berni29
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Aluminium painted interior parts

Hello all

Was there ever an "aluminium pack" for the 993? I have access to professional spraying and finishing equipment and was thinking of painting some of my interior parts to get a high gloss aluminium effect finish.

The idea is just to brighten things up a bit.

Obvious candidates are the door handles, centre console switch surround, vent surrounds, the bit under the handbrake and storeage bin.

What is the general concensus/opinion on this sort of thing?

Many thanks

Berni
Old 01-06-2011, 01:33 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

It was real alloy, in the gear shift ****, & e-brake. Trim rings on the gauges. Other then that I don't think so.

It may look good, over time, the door handles will peal, & chip. so will the storage bin. Just look at any used 996 with painted trim, it doesn't last, & looks like poop when it starts to fail.

If you can repaint it every couple of years or so, it should make the interior pop more.
Old 01-06-2011, 07:54 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 183 Posts

I've got Chris Walrod gauge rings, and the "X" option shifter and handbrake. There are some additional billet type alu kits for the various ****'s and around the key switch. Personally, I do not like the look of them, just too clunky for me.

The gauge rings, shifter and ebrake handle really spice up a bland interior.

Good Luck
Attached Images  
Old 01-06-2011, 09:22 PM
berni29
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi

Thank you for the replies. If done correctly I think the finish should last a considerable time. There are some clearcoats available that contain fibreglass and are used on aircraft and I was thinking of using one of those. It would be a better quality finish than oem, but obviously not as good as aluminum itself. Having said that because the original parts are being painted the fit should be good.

I may well have a go and then just put it back to standard if it looks dodgy.

Berni

Quick Reply: Aluminium painted interior parts