Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

window weather strip...beware corrosion!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 10:34 AM
Leon993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default window weather strip...beware corrosion!

Fellas,

Im sick and tired of having to lift up the weather strip on my rear window and do surgical drying every time I wash my car. This was such a poor design choice in the 993 that I've read of horror stories of people who end up with corroded frames because water gets trapped in there for a long time. A problem also known in the windshield area as well.

So my solution is this, let me know what you think:

Buy a new weather strip (like 40 bucks at the Stealer) and have an auto glass company seal the living shi* out of it, as opposed to the original design that says you must gently fit it in....hence the water seepage.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:38 AM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Must admit - I am in total agreement.

Gerry
Old 01-05-2011, 11:30 AM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

I wondered about filling the gap with silicone. Problem is, if the glass needs to be replaced, you'll have a real mess to remove.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:44 AM
ble2011
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Silicone is pretty easy to remove. My concerns would be that it's not done perfectly, you've now created a "pocket" which will make matters worse. I think the way to handle the problem is to make sure if water gets in there, it drains properly.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:28 PM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

Sometimes I use shop air to blow out water from places like this, and around the taillights/rear center panel after washing. I should get into the habit of doing it every time...
Old 01-05-2011, 12:31 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Another concern would be creating tension on the rear glass that might increase possibility of it shattering.

There is no data at all to support this, just a thought since there are instances of this happening. I would be cautious of introducing any change to the original design.
Again, just a thought...
Old 01-05-2011, 12:56 PM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I think washing the car less, if it doesn't see much rain anyway would help keep water out of that seal.
I hate my car to be dirty, but luckily it stays in the garage, doesn't see much rain, always has wax on it.
I dust it, and quick detail it when it is mostly clean, and only really have to wash it less than once a month from spring to December.
This does not solve the problem, but there should be less chance of water sitting in the seals. And blowing them out after washing is cheap insurance as others have mentioned.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:22 PM
TT-911
Three Wheelin'

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t...85e329911f1139
Old 01-05-2011, 04:18 PM
V
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very timely post. This is what I wrote two weeks ago:

"I just had a look at an english forum where rust prevention on front and rear windshield was discussed. Check here: http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?p=609770#609770

There is a lot of talk of the rubber rope that is also mentioned in this thread. My question is: Does this rope also solve the rust issue? I assume (since it's an official TSB) that porsche wouldn't recommend using it if it trapped water underneath the rope leading to rust. The other solution (what's being discussed in the thread in the link above) is sealing the channel entirely with sikaflex or similar, thus preventing ANYTHING from getting in there. This involves much more work of course, and is probably a pain in the X to remove if the windshield needs to be replaced down the road. Then my second question would be, does the Sikaflex (or similar sealant) prevent the squeaking of the windshield as well? I will be replacing both front and rear windshield on my car this winter so I need to decide which way to go. I have also noticed a bit of rust on the lower passenger side underneath the window seal on the rear windshield... Looking for the permanent solution to never have to think about ever dealing with this again. Also, drying the channel after every drive in the rain or wash of the car is not a good solution IMHO. Sometimes when I wash the car I don't even have access to compressed air.. Sorry for the long post, but this is one of those (two actually, squeak and rust) issues we have with our beloved 993s.

Any input much appreciated.

Happy new year everyone! "

I really need to sort this out, one way of the other. I agree it's a design flaw of the 964/993 pcars.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:24 PM
Leon993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default weather seal back window - follow up

Guys,

Thanks for all the feedback. I placed my order today for a rear window seal from Sunset Porsche in Oregon...hands down the best dealer prices in the USA. My local dealer wanted $75, got it for 48 shipping included.

Now Im going to have a reputable auto glass company professionally seal it with the silicone suggested at 911UK forum.

I'll keep everybody informed....

-Leon

Quick Reply: window weather strip...beware corrosion!