Old 01-03-2011, 09:49 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It could be:

the one of the microswitches that detect the spoiler position
the cable that drives the gearbox
the gear drive itself
EDIT: Also a slight possibility it could be the drive motor or the control module under the dash
can't recall if there is a fuse for it but that is a good thing to check first. I suspect there is

any bad noises from back there?
Old 01-04-2011, 12:05 AM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

No noises. I will check the fuse pannel

Thanks
Old 01-04-2011, 12:20 AM
Leon993
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FORGET THE DEALER. I see that you live in Pasadena, are you a PCA member of your local chapter? You are lucky to live in an area that is peppered with a handful of independent garages that services Porsches...garages that enthusiast know and trust.

If you cant find the malfunction, reach out to your fellow Porsche neighbors and find the right place to take your car.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:43 AM
sdcabrio
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Check to make sure there isn't anything stuck in the motor mechanism. Mine was stuck in the up position last summer, after some poking around and a few slight taps or bangs on the edge of the spoiler a little black cap fell out of the gear sections and all was fine again.

The black cap was one of the little bolt covers from one of the little bolts holding the spoiler unit to the decklid itself. The little caps resemble the small caps put on the bolts used in a kids swingset to keep anyone from getting scratched by an exposed nut/bolt.

I guess I was a little too aggressive with my drying of the underside of the spoiler area after a wash and knocked the cap loose/off.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:22 AM
frf
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FGL28
Does anybody know of the fix?
Other than taking it to the Stealer
Thanks in advance
Have you tried to retract it using the spoiler button in the central console?
Old 01-04-2011, 10:01 AM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

^^ I was thinking the same thing^^ Have you tried the central panel "Down" switch?
Old 01-04-2011, 10:33 AM
Cristel993
Instructor

Hi FGL,

I had the same problem some time ago and was caused by a lack of grease on the spoiler mechanism gears, which you'll find under the engine cover. This had caused the mechanism to seize completely. My spoiler was stuck in the up position and would not retract and it wasn't making any noise.

This was a simple fix, 5-10 minute fix.

1. Lift your engine lid.
2. Remove the black plastic, semi-circular cover attached to the left-hand underside of the engine lid.
3. Use some WD40 on the micro-switches and gear mechanism and wipe away any residue or dirt.
4. Apply a lithium grease (such as Castrol LM) to the gear wheels.
5. Test the mechanism by running a few cycles of the spoiler, keeping any stray fingers clear.
6. Refit the cover.
7. Repeat process every few years.......

Fingers crossed that this will work for you too!

P.S. I was missing one of the rubber nut covers from inside the spoiler recess of the engine lid. It was hiding inside the aforementioned black plastic cover for the spoiler mechanism!!!!!

Last edited by Cristel993; 01-04-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:44 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts

Did the spoiler light come on? if it did, i would look at the microswitches. i had one go bad.

if not, check gears and perhaps lubricate.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:18 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by frf
Have you tried to retract it using the spoiler button in the central console?
Originally Posted by H.H.Chinn
^^ I was thinking the same thing^^ Have you tried the central panel "Down" switch?

that was the first thing I tried.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:19 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cristel993
Hi FGL,

I had the same problem some time ago and was caused by a lack of grease on the spoiler mechanism gears, which you'll find under the engine cover. This had caused the mechanism to seize completely. My spoiler was stuck in the up position and would not retract and it wasn't making any noise.

This was a simple fix, 5-10 minute fix.

1. Lift your engine lid.
2. Remove the black plastic, semi-circular cover attached to the left-hand underside of the engine lid.
3. Use some WD40 on the micro-switches and gear mechanism and wipe away any residue or dirt.
4. Apply a lithium grease (such as Castrol LM) to the gear wheels.
5. Test the mechanism by running a few cycles of the spoiler, keeping any stray fingers clear.
6. Refit the cover.
7. Repeat process every few years.......

Fingers crossed that this will work for you too!

P.S. I was missing one of the rubber nut covers from inside the spoiler recess of the engine lid. It was hiding inside the aforementioned black plastic cover for the spoiler mechanism!!!!!
Thanks
Old 01-04-2011, 03:14 PM
ginch
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by sdcabrio
Check to make sure there isn't anything stuck in the motor mechanism. Mine was stuck in the up position last summer, after some poking around and a few slight taps or bangs on the edge of the spoiler a little black cap fell out of the gear sections and all was fine again.

The black cap was one of the little bolt covers from one of the little bolts holding the spoiler unit to the decklid itself. The little caps resemble the small caps put on the bolts used in a kids swingset to keep anyone from getting scratched by an exposed nut/bolt.

I guess I was a little too aggressive with my drying of the underside of the spoiler area after a wash and knocked the cap loose/off.
This is the exact same thing that happened to me last fall. Spoiler went up but wouldn't come down. I removed the black plastic cover on the drivers side underneath the spoiler and the same black cap described above fell out. Renistalled the plastic cover and the spoiler functioned as per normal! Hopefully thats all it is as it took me 2 minutes and no money to fix!

Derek
Old 01-05-2011, 06:30 PM
chet
Instructor

A few months ago, a bearing in the little electric motor for the spoiler on the underside of the lid seized up, and I started getting a warning light telling me that my spoiler wasn't working. There was a diy somewhere that gave me some guidance in how things work, and I bought a little bearing on the internet and fixed it. The project did involve splitting the plastic case of the electric motor to get at the bearing inside. Even if that isn't your problem, that diy has some helpful information.

PS In investigating that problem I also discovered that my spoiler wall had some pretty bad cracks in it, so i replaced that too, but that didn't have anything to do with my motor not working.
Old 01-07-2011, 04:21 PM
FGL28
Anjin San
Rennlist Member

Update:

It did not work. I am going to play with it some more before going to mechanic.

Quick Reply: Spoiler deployed but will not retract