993 Forum 1995-1998

Gillet vs bischoff question

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 10:19 PM
ginch
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Gillet vs bischoff question

So my 1996 C4S came with a box that contained 2 mufflers and 2 exhaust tips. The mufflers are bischoffs and the tips say gillett on them. The car currently has a set of fabspeed maxflos on it so I don't know what I have. The reason I ask this is that I sent my stock mufflers to get the fister stage III mod and they are bischoff's. I'm assuming they are the original mufflers from the car however why would the tips say gillett on them not bischoff? Could the tips be from a different car? I just want to know if the bischoff mufflers I sent away will fit on my car.

Thanks in advance!

Derek
Old 01-02-2011, 10:40 PM
SKM
Burning Brakes

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts
Default They will fit

The mufflers will fit as they are all the same size, etc. and the tips will work as long as they are for the wide body 993. Not sure if gillet and bischoff mufflers were matched with same brand tips but it does not matter since they will bolt together just fine.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:06 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by ginch
So my 1996 C4S came with a box that contained 2 mufflers and 2 exhaust tips. The mufflers are bischoffs and the tips say gillett on them. The car currently has a set of fabspeed maxflos on it so I don't know what I have. The reason I ask this is that I sent my stock mufflers to get the fister stage III mod and they are bischoff's. I'm assuming they are the original mufflers from the car however why would the tips say gillett on them not bischoff? Could the tips be from a different car? I just want to know if the bischoff mufflers I sent away will fit on my car.

Thanks in advance!

Derek
Not sure, but looking at the tips that you're selling, you will notice that there's a donut at the end. You remove it or leave it on depending on the muffler it's mating up to. So if you have to have the donut on your tips for the muffler to work, then your muffler is a (someone put the answer here). Can't remember which is which....
Old 01-03-2011, 12:25 AM
ginch
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 77 Posts

How do you remove the donut ring you are talking about from the tips?
Old 01-03-2011, 02:48 AM
pcarhombre
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you unbolt the clamp that holds the tip to the pipe, the steel(?) donut-gasket will come off if it is there. Look on FD's webpage for pics of which is which. One is more "male" than the other. The female needs the donut. Enjoy! PS These cars came with either installed. I might have read it had to do with the YOM.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:58 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 210 Posts

How do you remove the donut ring you are talking about from the tips?
tap it lightly with a hammer.. since you're selling your tips, I think you need to keep that donut...

Originally Posted by pcarhombre
When you unbolt the clamp that holds the tip to the pipe, the steel(?) donut-gasket will come off if it is there. Look on FD's webpage for pics of which is which. One is more "male" than the other. The female needs the donut. Enjoy! PS These cars came with either installed. I might have read it had to do with the YOM.
sometimes they're so tight in there and together with the rust, it will be tight and seems almost like one piece...
Old 01-03-2011, 11:11 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 352 Posts

Gilette vs Bishof

yes the mufflers are interchangeable as long as you have the biscuits and clamps
Old 01-03-2011, 10:07 PM
97_993C2
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
... So if you have to have the donut on your tips for the muffler to work, then your muffler is a (someone put the answer here). Can't remember which is which....
Bischoff needs a Biscuit, or donut. Gillet does not, which is how I remember. I've never seen tips that were labeled one or the other, but it would seem to me that a tip labeled Gillet would NOT have a biscuit or donut, unless it had one "built-in", which is what a Gillet muffler has.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:25 PM
97_993C2
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

... The reason I ask this is that I sent my stock mufflers to get the fister stage III mod and they are bischoff's. I'm assuming they are the original mufflers from the car however why would the tips say gillett on them not bischoff? Could the tips be from a different car? I just want to know if the bischoff mufflers I sent away will fit on my car. ...
It your mufflers are Bischoff, then they will need biscuits(donuts) on both ends; but on the tip end if the tips are truly Gillet, they will have a built in donut that can be used to attach to the Bischoff muffler? Pictures of the tips would be nice.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:14 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 507 Likes on 338 Posts
Default Save hassles...

If you have a 1995, you probably have a Bishoff muff system, if you have a 96 and later, you probably have a Gillet system. I recall seeing Gillet stamped on the mufflers.

I have a 1997, Gillet, and am looking for a set of stock muffs for an up coming Laguna Seca event.

Brass donuts? Not that tasty, especially served cold.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Gillet vs bischoff question