Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie oil level question

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 01:27 PM
jhale
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just checked my records and my last oil change was done at 49K and I have not needed to add any oil for the last 3K. Based on the dipstick reading and the oil guage, I should be a quart low. I'll let you know what I report.
Tony,

I just added a quart yesterday after 3,200 miles and the oil guage in the car is now registering right in the middle. This also matches with the dipstick and is consistent with what I was expecting. I'm not sure if the weight and the cooler temperatures have anything to do with the consumption you are getting. Where was the car's previous life?
Old 12-29-2010, 02:59 PM
Spidey 993

I have been doing some reading, and this is a religious topic as well it looks like.
What the correct oil type to use. However, I agree with you I think I may be too light and at my next oil change I will make that shift to 15W-50.

Originally Posted by Makmov
30 is probably too light weight.

I have 15W-50 Mobile 1 in mine and also in Colorado.
Thanks Bill, good point. I may be creating a mountain out of a molehill here. It may be my sweetspot.

Originally Posted by 993BillW
Personally, if the car is new to you I would wait until it's at or just below the twisty part before adding oil. I'm no expert but both my 993's and previous '88 911 did not like being "full", all 3 have burned off the top half of the dipstick twisty and then just stayed there. If I tried to keep it full I would be adding oil constantly. It may very well be that your car's "happy place" is closer to 1/3 than it is to 1/2. There is no need to add oil until it gets to the bottom of the twist.

Just my .02
I bought mine from a guy in Tennessee where the car has been for several years. Although my wife swears it wasn't in the middle, she believes I was slightly below middle on the oil guage and right in the middle of the dipstick. she may be correct, because she always tells me Im wrong.

Ok, one more question jhale or makmov (or others) since your in Denver area. Where are you getting your oil changed? I bought this car a few months ago, and I truly don't know its oil consumption history and I thought if I went ahead and changed the oil, putting in the correct type for me here in CO and then starting this process of monitoring my oil consumption with a "reset" it may be less complex and I would feel better knowing my baseline, what oil I am using.... Thoughts?

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by jhale
Tony,

I just added a quart yesterday after 3,200 miles and the oil guage in the car is now registering right in the middle. This also matches with the dipstick and is consistent with what I was expecting. I'm not sure if the weight and the cooler temperatures have anything to do with the consumption you are getting. Where was the car's previous life?
Old 12-29-2010, 03:44 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tjeff993
Ok, one more question jhale or makmov (or others) since your in Denver area. Where are you getting your oil changed? I bought this car a few months ago, and I truly don't know its oil consumption history and I thought if I went ahead and changed the oil, putting in the correct type for me here in CO and then starting this process of monitoring my oil consumption with a "reset" it may be less complex and I would feel better knowing my baseline, what oil I am using.... Thoughts?

Thanks again!
That would be my recommendation. It will give you your basepoint.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:48 PM
jhale
Pro

Ok, one more question jhale or makmov (or others) since your in Denver area.
Tony,

Check your pm shortly.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:01 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 683 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Makmov
That is Porsche max spec. 1qt per 600 miles.
I think its a German manufacturing thing.

The max spec for my BMW motorcycle is 1 liter per 1000 kilometers (same as above).

In both cases, the engines are air cooled and probably have greater clearances.

I wonder, do 993 cylinders have steel liners or are they Nikasil?
Old 12-29-2010, 08:16 PM
porschemikeandnancy
Pro

tjeff993:
If you don't get an answer from a Rennlister in the Denver area, find your local PCA chapter. The committee members in your (I think it's called Rocky Mountain Chapter) local chapter will know the best independent 993 shops in your area.

Quick Reply: Newbie oil level question