Sponsored by:

993 exhaust pictures

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 04:42 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 993 exhaust pictures

I am thinking of installing a 993 exhaust system on my 964; one of the options would be to install the complete system.
Does anyone have pictures of how and where the 2 muffler brackets attach to the engine.

Thanks in advance.
Steen

Old 12-27-2010, 05:59 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 565 Likes on 389 Posts

Originally Posted by crg53
I am thinking of installing a 993 exhaust system on my 964; one of the options would be to install the complete system.
Does anyone have pictures of how and where the 2 muffler brackets attach to the engine.

Thanks in advance.
Steen

It's doable but there are issues
issue1 the right side exhaust studs on a 993 are rotated 90* from where a 964 will have them, the exhaust stud location on the 993 header can be rotated fairly easily though.

issue2 room for the muffler cans. I've posted some pics of 964 3.8RS and RSR which came w/ the 993 exhaust(it was the first use of it in fact) off the top of my head I don't remember what thread they were in though. Anyway a n/b 964 will have even less room than the 3.8RS in the rear fenders. Usually a transverse muffler is used as on 911s.

issue 3 heat. I've used 964 heat pipes on 993 but never the other way around though. It should be ok. You will have to do some plumbing to connect all the ducts
Old 12-27-2010, 06:34 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Hi Bill, thanks for the reply; I know about the passenger side 993 HE flanges needing to be cut/turned/rewelded that's no problem, I was then thinking of a DACH cat bypass pipe < factory mufflers, have read that there are space issues with the mufflers, but was thinking of maybe standing them up a bit so they need less space (does that make sense). a few pictures of the mufflers installed also showing the 2 brackets would help. Will do some more reseach.

Thanks
Steen

Old 12-27-2010, 09:37 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

as a heads up, you'll also have to relocate the oil line that runs alone the back of your motor. Our pipes run right over where that line is. We looked into doing exactly what you are thinking of doing, but it will be an undertaking. Also you'll need a C4 drivers corner bumper piece to make a double muff system and then there is the muffler mounting and how it differs from the 993.

Like I said it'll be some work, but it should be do-able.
Love to see it if you do pull it off, we gave up because of the expense we could see in bringing a kit to fruition that would sell.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:53 AM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info Chris, like I said earlier this whole project is in it's infant stage, and I am exhausting ( pun intended) all possibilities. I have bought a set of 1995 HE and will go from there. May contact Steve Weiner about a Monty Muffler and mount it across the back where the primary sit now.
Will look into all options.

Old 12-28-2010, 01:51 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Steen:

Your thread had me reaching for my Frere, where I found:

"The [993] exhaust system is completely new...The two catalysts and silencers have a noticeably larger capacity than in the previous model, and exhaust back pressure is reduced, resulting in a higher power output."

Learn something everyday around here; yesterday it was ignition maps.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:52 PM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Steen,
Is your goal to get the dual exhaust look, or purely performance oriented? A mandrel bent, single 3.0" exhaust with a high flow cat and muffler will give you plenty of flow and won't require as much re-routing. I made a custom system for my car a few month's ago. It took three weekends but it sounds bitchin' and looks pretty decent. If you do a query for magnaflow mufflers in the 993 board (I can't get a link to work...) you can see some pics.

Quick Reply: 993 exhaust pictures