Sponsored by:

Tires: Continental ExtremeContact vs. Michelin PS2

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 10:49 AM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Tires: Continental ExtremeContact vs. Michelin PS2

I have always gone with Michelin PS2 in the past. Expensive, but no doubt light and grippy. However, these ExtremeContact tires by Continental weigh the same (very light) and have equal or better ratings on Tire Rack. They are literally 1/2 the price of the Michelins. I am tempted. Has anyone had experience with these tires? I have decided on these and PSS10s as a little Christmas present to me Will have both and Speedlines installed in near future as a Happy New Year!

thanks
Old 12-25-2010, 10:52 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

IIRC, 3 RL members went to Dubai to test a new Michelin tire, which received very high marks compared to the PS2.

I would suggest reading their comments in the thread in the Racing/DE forum.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:07 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Go for them an let us know how the are. 1/2 price and a quality brand name does not sound bad at all.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:07 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have had a set of Extreme Contacts on my car for 5000KM and they are an excellent tire, very quiet and good grip especially in the wet, would highly recommend. That said, I have not tried the Michelins so can not compare.

Old 12-25-2010, 03:37 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Isn't the Conti Extreme Contact an all-season tire? (The PS2 is a summer performance tire.) They came OEM on an E350 Benz I had a while back. The tires were okay, but they aren't performance tires. (I switched them out to PS2s and it was a night and day difference.)

That said, the Michelin PS3 is out in Europe and I think so is the new Conti Sport Contact 5. (for performance tires....)
Old 12-25-2010, 03:52 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Canyon56
Isn't the Conti Extreme Contact an all-season tire? (The PS2 is a summer performance tire.) They came OEM on an E350 Benz I had a while back. The tires were okay, but they aren't performance tires. (I switched them out to PS2s and it was a night and day difference.)

That said, the Michelin PS3 is out in Europe and I think so is the new Conti Sport Contact 5. (for performance tires....)
These are different. They are summer tires too. The reason I am posting to inquire about other experiences is that I am skeptical. Why are these 1/2 the price of the PS2s. And for that matter $400+ less than the regular Continental Conti 3 tires? Usually if something seems to good to be true, it is. And usually, I believe that you get what you pay for. But every once in awhile, something is just a good deal...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....&autoModel=911 Carrera 2 Coupe&autoModClar=
Old 12-25-2010, 04:31 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Jonathan, a number of Rennlisters have a lot of experience with tires. I have some and would be more than willing to give an opinion. I've have both PS2 set and Conti 3 set for my 993 currently and have driven it on both, for example.

However... Please explain in detail what's important to you in a tire. Performance in the dry, performance in the wet, longevity, quietness, harshness, etc. It's impossible to give any intelligent suggestion otherwise.

PS. I would go with neither, but, again, it depends on what you need out of a tire.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:49 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

I would say that unless you are an experienced race car driver tracking your car and/or money is no object, you might want to consider something other than PS2s. They may be the best tire in the world, but that only really matters if you are the best driver in the world.

I put Sumi HTRZ-IIIs on my car a few months ago. They probably offer 95% of the performance of PS2s at less than half the price.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:24 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

PS2s are as far from the best tire in the world as i am from being a race driver
Old 12-25-2010, 05:29 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

nile -- in order of importance...

1) safety.
2) performance in the dry (never drive this car in the rain)... grip, steering feel, etc.
3) weight... a little here or there doesnt really matter, I know, but my Speedlines are already heavy
4) longevity
5) price

No track, just street.

I have driven PS2s (many) and Conti 3s also. I am specifically asking about this newer Continental tire, which, according to Tire Rack, is just as light as PS2s with equal or better performance ratings, etc. at half the price.
Thanks
Old 12-25-2010, 05:38 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Unless I'm missing something, TR has those listed as an all season tire.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:39 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Jonathan, thanks. "Safety" is open to interpretation, but I would assume that you are talking about braking performance and accident avoidance. In other words #1 and #2 are the same thing and the equation is heavily tilted towards a very high performance summer tire all other things be damned.

Calculating... calculating... your answer is Dunlop Direzza Z1 StarSpec or Yokohama A008.

My personal opinion of Continental 3s is pretty low. They are fairly quiet, but that's about it. Most people who like them have not ever driven serious performance tires (just my opinion here, but this is usually the sentiment: "I really like these, but have not driven others"). I find their sidewalls way too soft, their braking performance close to atrocious, their feedback non-existent. Did I mention they are quiet?

If you really feel like trying performance tire, Toyo R-888 is even better in the dry than the above two. But that's not really fair, as it's not a true street tire and will be harsh and unpleasant even on excellent TX roads. Although I know people who do run them on the street.

PS. I really would not pay much attention to tire weight for a street car.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:39 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
These are different. They are summer tires too. The reason I am posting to inquire about other experiences is that I am skeptical. Why are these 1/2 the price of the PS2s. And for that matter $400+ less than the regular Continental Conti 3 tires? Usually if something seems to good to be true, it is. And usually, I believe that you get what you pay for. But every once in awhile, something is just a good deal...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....&autoModel=911 Carrera 2 Coupe&autoModClar=
Got it. You didn't say DW, so I was confused. I know these tires and from what I hear, they are okay but only okay. Folks in other forums have mentioned them; there's also a DWS version. The DW just means dry/wet (S is snow) and the consensus is that the Conti Contact Sport are better (I was never excited about Conti Contact Sports as it is.) Apparently it's a decent performance tire that is a bit better in bad weather.

The DW is for wet and if you never dry in the wet, then what's the point

But if the price is right for you, then try them out. Let us know how they work on a 993 chassis.

fwiw, here's one of many reviews: http://www.modified.com/tech/modp-09...res/index.html
Old 12-25-2010, 05:56 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

I feel that I am on candid camera

If you click the link I posted, these are not Conti 3 tires, and they are not all season times, they are summer tires

I think I am going to give them a try... at about $600/set, I think I cant go wrong...

thanks all!
Old 12-25-2010, 06:00 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think these tires are pictured in a dictionary under definition of word "blah"

Seriously, try StarSpecs. For about the same money you will be highly impressed.

Quick Reply: Tires: Continental ExtremeContact vs. Michelin PS2