Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Tires: Continental ExtremeContact vs. Michelin PS2

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 06:07 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

For me I wanted a all season tire. We don't get enough snow or extended cold temps to justify a set of winter tires. However, like right now we do get snow and temps in the 20's. I do drive my cars in rain and snow as long as there isn't much salt (brine) on the roads.

I went with the Mich PS2 Plus A/S's. They have been great in heat/dry/wet and even snow. Yes, they were pricey. If there is another A/S option when these wear out I will look seriously at them but not because of issues with the Mich. (just price).

Have Yoko Parada Spec X's on the Cayenne, those have been great too, but they're not for the 993.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:27 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Had OEM Conti's on my M3 and I really disliked them. Can't remember the model but should be easy to find out what came from the Factory. Very little feedback and pretty scary in slick conditions. They broke loose unpredictably. Now they were 5 years old but with only 3K miles on them I expected more.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:56 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 782 Likes on 421 Posts

They test the tire on a BMW 3 series if memory serves, a decidedly different car than a 993. I went with advice to try out a set of Bridgestone RE11's over a set of PS2's in 2009. I wish I trusted my instincts, the PS2's are decidedly faster and have substantially better turn in with a lower level of "ride quality". If it's just a street tire you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. For Auto-X it's a different story, to the tune of 1.5 seconds for a 40~ second course.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:04 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
I would say that unless you are an experienced race car driver tracking your car and/or money is no object, you might want to consider something other than PS2s. They may be the best tire in the world, but that only really matters if you are the best driver in the world.

I put Sumi HTRZ-IIIs on my car a few months ago. They probably offer 95% of the performance of PS2s at less than half the price.
that sums it up in a nutshell for me right there...I truely believe that for street use, virtually all "known" tire manufacturer's build hi- performance rubber within a few percent(performance wise) of each other.

My car came with a relitively fresh set of PS2's on it. After they were toast, I replaced them with Hankook Ventus St's EVO's. The Hankook's were under $700 delivered for a set of 4...the PS2 rears alone were over $900 IIRC.

They feel every bit as sharp in all aspects, as with the Michelins. Granted, the car has changed since I first got it-Walrod bushings, Wevo mounts-but with a much less aggressive alignment(much less camber all around).

I've had Hankook's on my DD as summer tires for years-gone thru 2 sets. Great value, wear, and performance for the buck.

As mentioned by another lister, if you plan to autocross/DE your car, maybe there are other concerns. But IMHO, besides Goodyear and Dunlop...most others have good choices available. I used to be a big BF Goodrich fan for performance rubber, now I'm impressed with the Hankooks.

Value, solid wear, and consistant performance thru-out the life of the tire has always been important to me.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:23 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by fast_freddy
They test the tire on a BMW 3 series if memory serves, a decidedly different car than a 993. I went with advice to try out a set of Bridgestone RE11's over a set of PS2's in 2009. I wish I trusted my instincts, the PS2's are decidedly faster and have substantially better turn in with a lower level of "ride quality". If it's just a street tire you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference. For Auto-X it's a different story, to the tune of 1.5 seconds for a 40~ second course.
And I'm saying that a StarSpec is faster than PS/2 by a lot. And so is Azenis RT-615. Not much of an argument, it's enough to see what everyone runs at SCCA Nationals in Street Tire classes. And money is really no object there.

RE11 is not a great tire, IMHO. I've autocrossed a Miata on 11s for an event last season. Was completely underwhelmed by them. Imagine they'd feel even worse on a heavier car.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:05 AM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrsullivan
I feel that I am on candid camera

If you click the link I posted, these are not Conti 3 tires, and they are not all season times, they are summer tires

I think I am going to give them a try... at about $600/set, I think I cant go wrong...

thanks all!
Let us know what they're like. I was never excited about the Conti 2/3 myself. But these are optimized for dry and wet (hence the DW designation.) As I mentioned earlier they also come in a DWS, which is optimized for dry, wet, and snow. Maybe if I lived in a wetter climate, the DW might make sense as a performance tire.

The tire has letters in the tread (D, W) as tread wear indicators. Each letter shows the wear and indicates whether they are too worn for dry or wet. Might be just a gimmick or maybe something effective (?)

The edges are in a chamfered pattern which Conti says, "concentrates on a maximum surface contact, resulting in increased traction.” They also say, "the tire has high void to tread ratio which improves water evacuation for outstanding wet handling."

According to Conti, their marketing strategy for the DW and DWS is to value-price them in relation to competing premium brands. They have a 340 treadwear.

They may be a decent option if one lives in a place like the wet and cooler Northwest.

Old 12-26-2010, 09:11 AM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Plus it seems they give you a 60 day trial period. Get something else if they don't live up to expectations, although in my experience most tires has felt and handled great initially once scrubbed in.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:30 AM
177mph
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 102 Posts

I have unfortunately had a few different sets of continental tires. They were always on cars i had bought used. I have NEVER found any of them to be good tires. Ever...
Old 12-26-2010, 12:59 PM
leonardjohnr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I few cars ago I used to only buy the best street rubber... then I started tracking my car and, of course, got track tires... after you drive with track tires... the performance of street tires all blends together.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:40 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Jonathan,

FWIW,...I know which ones you are referring to. I just replaced the PS2's on my wife's car with these new Conti's last week and I couldn't be happier.
Old 12-26-2010, 03:42 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

While it's partially so, I would not agree completely. I've been on race rubber for the last 8 years. I still prefer good tires for the street.

The reasons are simple. One - if I spend the money on a performance car, I might as well have the only thing that holds it on the road and is more important than all the other mods combined. When I drove a $2K 7-series as a beater I had Michelin MX4 on it (don't ask). Two - I have to brake once in a while to avoid... ummm... Boston drivers (and NYC drivers every so often). So I need good tires. Continental has not made any in my 25 years of trying them.
Old 12-26-2010, 04:35 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
So I need good tires. Continental has not made any in my 25 years of trying them.
they make damn fine bicycle tires...just to interject.

expensive, light, durable, and wear well
Old 12-26-2010, 04:47 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A Steve Weiner recommendation post carries more weight than like 5 of you civilian posts

Kidding... but Steve, thanks for your post...!
Old 12-26-2010, 05:14 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

BTW, my 993 is currently on Continental snows (came with a set of wheels I've just bought) and we are expecting 2 feet of white stuff today. Not that I'm going anywhere any time soon
Old 12-26-2010, 07:36 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 107 Posts

To add to some of the recommendations above, I installed Dunlop Direzza Star Specs this season and have been very pleased. For a track or auto-x capable street tire, I've have very good service. 9 days of DE w/ about 5K total miles. Great stick, and the rears still have some life. A very good performance tire at a very fair price.

Best,

Matt

Quick Reply: Tires: Continental ExtremeContact vs. Michelin PS2