993 Forum 1995-1998

Tweeter cover - DANG!!! Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 04:42 PM
maestromaestro
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Tweeter cover - DANG!!! Help!

Well, stupidity certainly has its price. I am just trying to minimize MINE...
I was installing back the cheapo (well..) plastic tweeter cover on the passenger door, and, naturally, one of the tabs broke...

As it turns out, this is about $40 at Pelican; and, there is no guarantee that this is not going to happen again. I mean, I am a trained professional...

Thusly... DOES ANY ONE HAVE ONE TO DONATE/SELL/USE AS A X-MAS GIFT TO A FELLOW PORSCHENISTA?

The actual part No. is 9936455020001C.

Thanks!!!
Old 12-24-2010, 06:34 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I cannot help you with the specific request but it is good to see that you make "progress" on your car stereo project. I will test hear at the next DE for sure!
Old 12-24-2010, 07:09 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by maestromaestro
Well, stupidity certainly has its price. I am just trying to minimize MINE...
I was installing back the cheapo (well..) plastic tweeter cover on the passenger door, and, naturally, one of the tabs broke...

As it turns out, this is about $40 at Pelican; and, there is no guarantee that this is not going to happen again. I mean, I am a trained professional...

Thusly... DOES ANY ONE HAVE ONE TO DONATE/SELL/USE AS A X-MAS GIFT TO A FELLOW PORSCHENISTA?

The actual part No. is 9936455020001C.

Thanks!!!
pretty sure I have one. I'll check and make sure it is not broken.
If I do, you can have it

This is only the plastic housing, right?
Old 12-24-2010, 07:21 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, have one and it is in tact.

It's in a USPS flat rate box, ready to go. PM me your address. or better yet, email it to fdmotorsports@comcast.net
As long as the postal workers don't crush it we should be in good shape

Also... how about some photos of your cab?
Old 12-24-2010, 08:29 PM
maestromaestro
Advanced

Originally Posted by e9stibi
I cannot help you with the specific request but it is good to see that you make "progress" on your car stereo project. I will test hear at the next DE for sure!
Well, yeah... Assuming that I actually finish the dang thing... I went the hard route - with a larger amp in the trunk. So, holes in the firewall to route the wires...

I looked at the pictures that you put in the write-up and it would seem that I have taken a totally different path... I ripped out the Nokia amp and that's where the cross-overs will go (I ended up with the "old-school" MB Quart's RVF216)...

You show that you used a press-board support for the 6.5" speaker... I just screwed it to the cover panel... You think this is going to affect the sound?
Old 12-24-2010, 08:36 PM
maestromaestro
Advanced

Originally Posted by MarkD

If I and/or the car survive the experience... I dunno; don't want to encourage people to follow in my steps. I used 6.5" 2-component speakers with passive cross-overs and an aftermarket 4-channel amp (which does not fit in the Nokia's space) - so, trunk install and all that.

I think that the easiest way is to just drop 5.25" component with a coaxial tweeter and be done. Maybe a small amp. I do like the Kenwood head unit tho (KDC-X794).

I am wondering how the whole thing will sound.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:42 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

There is absolutely no problem installing 6.5" components,. I have Focals in my car. Used plywood to cut a shape to mount the woofer and crossover on each side. Currenlty running without an amp, but will eventually add small efficient amp under the passenger seat.

Having said all that... it's not a car for sound, especially a cab like mine.
Old 12-24-2010, 10:57 PM
maestromaestro
Advanced

Originally Posted by nile13
There is absolutely no problem installing 6.5" components,. I have Focals in my car. Used plywood to cut a shape to mount the woofer and crossover on each side. Currenlty running without an amp, but will eventually add small efficient amp under the passenger seat.
The speakers are relatively easy, yes. It is the other things that take time...
Instead of plywood, I just screwed it to the panel to which the Nokia sound box (I have a HiFi option) was attached. I am wondering - why use the plywood shape?
Old 12-24-2010, 11:50 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Speakers need two things to work properly - separation between the back and the front (1) and sturdy mount (2). When you mount a speaker to the door, you do not get proper flat mounting surface. Nor do you get separation of front and back as the speaker does not completely cover the hole ans sits a bit crooked in there (at least mine did and I also have Hi-Fi option). I tried both mounting to the door and mounting into the black Hi-Fi enclosure. Did not like it either way.

Cutting a simple shape out of plywood (not my idea, saw it here on Rennlist) cutting a hole for the speaker in it and mounting both speaker and crossover to it is such an easy and elegant solution that I wouldn't even consider doing it any other way.

Little things like trying to kill resonant frequencies, maximize enclosure volume, etc are separate issues, but are helped by plywood as well.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:37 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
OK, have one and it is in tact.

It's in a USPS flat rate box, ready to go. PM me your address. or better yet, email it to fdmotorsports@comcast.net
As long as the postal workers don't crush it we should be in good shape

That was pretty darned nice of you! Hopefully you got a PM with a thank you. We ought to see the OP ante up for an RL membership too-seems like it is a good place to find generosity.

Quick Reply: Tweeter cover - DANG!!! Help!