Nice Piece on the 993 by Chris Harris in the New Issue of Excellence

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 10:42 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 188 Posts
Thumbs up Nice Piece on the 993 by Chris Harris in the New Issue of Excellence

The article will please those of us with higher mileage cars who are not afraid to drive them, and drive them hard
Old 07-09-2010, 01:29 PM
Renaud Bizet
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I liked the article, those UK mags have nice editorials where they really share their personal thoughts on car ownership versus the usual cliches of the test drives.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:31 PM
Fünfer
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you guys have a link to it?
Old 07-09-2010, 01:53 PM
clubsport1
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Journalistic licence, Harris is going through his Ferrari ownership phase at the moment!

Let's hope he gets well soon.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:54 PM
f8vr993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of you who reads "GTPorsche", he was frequent contributor to that mag. Previously he has owned two of my favorite dream cars, 993GT2 and 993RS!!!!
Yup! he's definitely one of us...
Old 07-09-2010, 01:55 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 188 Posts

It's not available online, you'll have to buy the magazine.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:37 PM
Ed Burdell
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't wait for my issue to arrive in the mail.

There's a certain liberation that comes with high mileage cars - they're never quite as pristine as they once were, so consequently one is inclined to use them on more occasions and not get bent out of shape if they get a little dirty. My own car gets to only 90% clean now, but at 10 feet away, it's clean enough. And I do think running them hard is better - several gremlins that haunted the car when I got it disappeared when I started stomping on it.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:54 PM
RDS928S
Rennlist Member

Received 678 Likes on 307 Posts

Yup, i agree.
I just thrashed my 95 993 in 100 degree heat all day @MMC boucning off the rev limiter. It ran like a swiss watch-then drove it 100 miles home!.
Not bad for for 95k miles and 15 years old! Does not leak a drop of oil & has no rebuilds.

Rich

Last edited by RDS928S; 07-09-2010 at 04:37 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:12 PM
verhag
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ed Burdell
Can't wait for my issue to arrive in the mail.

There's a certain liberation that comes with high mileage cars - they're never quite as pristine as they once were, so consequently one is inclined to use them on more occasions and not get bent out of shape if they get a little dirty. My own car gets to only 90% clean now, but at 10 feet away, it's clean enough. And I do think running them hard is better - several gremlins that haunted the car when I got it disappeared when I started stomping on it.
Couldn't agree more...well said
Old 07-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ed Burdell
+1

I stopped fussing over the car. It runs great and it likes me much better now. I don't even clean it that often. It likes the idea of being tough, mean and a little dirty. It sits in the garage now like a dog waiting for a good hard run outdoors.

On the other hand, I do take excellent care of it mechanically and always give it good food. I just don't fuss over it like it's some sort of rarity.

I agree, it is liberating.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:02 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 183 Posts

my C4S has served as my daily driver since I bought it. As long as the jobsite has good parking, I'm driving it everyday to work. Other guys on the job simply can't believe I drive it to work...these are the same guys who are driving new-or relitively new $50K + pick up trucks.

The car is as dirty as it has been while in my posession. We have a bout of severe weather coming in tonite, and stragglers tomorrow also. I'll spend a little time tomorrow washing/vaccumming/treating the leather, etc.

But Monday morning, it'll have my lunch box and thermos back in it. besides, the a/c works really well, not at all anymore in my truck, and it gets waaay better mileage too.

I couldn't agree more about methodical mechanical care, coupled with reasonable cosmetic(real world)care. My last Audi was a DD for 13 years and 276K miles-and it still ran exceptional, and looked great when it found a new happy owner.

My C4S, probably won't see winter for a few years yet..but will see daily use otherwise.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:03 AM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

I've been using my 95 as a daily for the last few months. While I enjoy driving more and more each day I would prefer something I care about less as a daily driver.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:16 AM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 447 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Canyon56
I stopped fussing over the car. It runs great and it likes me much better now. I don't even clean it that often. It likes the idea of being tough, mean and a little dirty. It sits in the garage now like a dog waiting for a good hard run outdoors.

On the other hand, I do take excellent care of it mechanically and always give it good food. I just don't fuss over it like it's some sort of rarity.
Well written
Old 07-11-2010, 12:33 AM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

summer it's a daily driver...I love it but dont obsess over it...spring and fall my Porsches (4 in my personal history) become little dreams I have love affairs with.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:45 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Canyon56
+1

I agree, it is liberating.
Originally Posted by jdistefa
Well written
+1. I love the fact that the car in the article is R.O.W. stock ride height with stock CupII's. No need for fancy mods or immaculate detailing, just get in and enjoy the hell out of driving. Obviously, no owner ever got bored with this road warrior ...

Quick Reply: Nice Piece on the 993 by Chris Harris in the New Issue of Excellence