Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Fiend says avoid '95 at all costs

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 11:09 AM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most of us know that this thread is a waste of bandwidth.

I recommend that the OP just delete it before it becomes another engine tray or motor oil pissing contest...
Old 12-19-2010, 11:11 AM
trevor townsend
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I had no idea that my '94 was such a lemon compared to '96 and up.
Served me well to date so i'll just hang in there
I think it's nit-picking to compare all the minute "upgrades" done on the same model over a short period. Basically if the car has been well looked after by someone reasonably intelligent, any or all 993's are so special.
My 2 bits
TT
Old 12-19-2010, 11:29 AM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by CalvinC4S
Removing over all condition from the equation I personally would prefer a 96-98.

*Faster ECU with a more accurate mixture control

*much more monitoring/testing data using the Porsche system tester II then the Bosch 9288

*more horse power

*better torque curve (not as much a track issue as lugging through stop/go traffic)

*no chance of the orange through bolt o-rings (orange/black/green.. its been a long time, but
it took them a while to get it right. This required a complete tare down of the motor to correct)

*updated control arms and cross member (there where poor handling chararistics in the geometry of the
rear control arms that Porsche discovered in 95 and improved)

*the beautiful howl of the varioram

*better looking 3rd brake light

*keyless entry drive-block immobilizer

*wide body option

*newer, easy one

*more color options, inside and out

95 was a crossover year and there where some undesirable parts taken from the earlier C2 that where later updated on the 96-98 cars, then superseded due to better design.

A 95 car will not throw a check engine light due to SAI ports being clogged from worn valve guides. Many 95 owners looked for cars of this year for that reason even though these cars suffer from the same valve guide issues.

Not popular belief amongst the Rennlist culture but I have been around these cars since creation; it’s my view and im sticking to it.

Hey I would take a 95 over a 94 or 99 all day though

EDIT:
Porsche did change the rear suspension in 96. When the 993 TT was in development the castings where all tossed out and beefed up as well as
demension modifications wide body and narrow body. I think we are on the 5th generation of control arm tweeks. 95 to 96 was a substantial change
requiring whole new part numbers that are not interchangable unless all of it is updated. Then next 4 generations are minor tweeks that are indicated
by superseded numbers after the 96-98 part number.

I don't know you or your friend, but I think he knows dick.
I guess I'm really lucky then. My late build (July '95) has ALL of the changes above except for Vram and the '96 ECU...I even have a OBD2 plug for my OBD1 ECU.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:31 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

Live axle, definitely.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:45 AM
deadhead1960
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CalvinC4S
Removing over all condition from the equation I personally would prefer a 96-98.

*Faster ECU with a more accurate mixture control

*much more monitoring/testing data using the Porsche system tester II then the Bosch 9288

*more horse power

*better torque curve (not as much a track issue as lugging through stop/go traffic)

*no chance of the orange through bolt o-rings (orange/black/green.. its been a long time, but
it took them a while to get it right. This required a complete tare down of the motor to correct)

*updated control arms and cross member (there where poor handling chararistics in the geometry of the
rear control arms that Porsche discovered in 95 and improved)

*the beautiful howl of the varioram

*better looking 3rd brake light

*keyless entry drive-block immobilizer

*wide body option

*newer, easy one

*more color options, inside and out

95 was a crossover year and there where some undesirable parts taken from the earlier C2 that where later updated on the 96-98 cars, then superseded due to better design.

A 95 car will not throw a check engine light due to SAI ports being clogged from worn valve guides. Many 95 owners looked for cars of this year for that reason even though these cars suffer from the same valve guide issues.

Not popular belief amongst the Rennlist culture but I have been around these cars since creation; it’s my view and im sticking to it.

Hey I would take a 95 over a 94 or 99 all day though

EDIT:
Porsche did change the rear suspension in 96. When the 993 TT was in development the castings where all tossed out and beefed up as well as
demension modifications wide body and narrow body. I think we are on the 5th generation of control arm tweeks. 95 to 96 was a substantial change
requiring whole new part numbers that are not interchangable unless all of it is updated. Then next 4 generations are minor tweeks that are indicated
by superseded numbers after the 96-98 part number.

I don't know you or your friend, but I think he knows dick.
I think overall this is the best response to the initial post. CalvinC4S starts off by expressing his personal preference (nothing wrong with that) and then goes on to explain the differences between 95 & 96-98 model years. Very objective and informative. The only issue I found objectionable is his last line in the edit section. Instead of name calling to the "friend," how about extending an invitation to him, to join Rennlist and be properly educated. I think it cheapens the 993 forum specifcially and Rennlist in general when members make valueless and derogatory comments. In addition no one welcomed PlymouthColt to the board and offered any assistance in his education and desire to acquire a 993. Isn't that what it's all about?
Old 12-19-2010, 11:51 AM
dave morris
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dcdude
Most of us know that this thread is a waste of bandwidth.
I'll second that emotion.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:17 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

This is a '96 993 passing Mustangs and Miatas left and right. Try that on a 95!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q54bR87Ni-Y
Old 12-19-2010, 12:32 PM
dryadsdad
Team Owner

Received 1,498 Likes on 971 Posts

I think there is something to the fiend's advice. Our '95's plastic leaf springs in the rear and pneumatic front suspension taken from the Citroen have both been a maintenance nightmare. We do enjoy bouncing the front end up and down at traffic lights while cruising Juarez late at night but is it worth the trouble? I think not. Glad they were addressed in '96.

We did solve the lack of torque (43 nm stock) by installing a nitrous system which not only makes the car faster, but makes it SEEM much faster when we whiff it as we drive along. When caught speeding, we get out of being stopped by a cop by spraying him with some of this nitrous. The cop goes to sleep, we put him in the back of his car and then drive off. So far - no tickets and many happy police when they wake up laughing from the gas.

I do prefer the "Don't Check Engine" light over the 96's "Check Engine" light. We've had our cars years now and so far haven't bothered to even open the hood because the "Don't..." light remains on.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:32 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Howard:

A factor that hasn't been mentioned, I believe, is that the early '95s did not have the immobilizer (Porsche Drive Block), which can be a problem in the later models.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:45 PM
johnsjmc
Racer

Also an early 95 will have a removable first gear. Most 95s and all 96 up cars have a fixed first and second gear. If you decide to regear the trans to the ROW or other performance ratios it is less expensive to alter the early 95 box. This change happened in late 94 . MY95 cars.
Old 12-19-2010, 01:17 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Wait...did someone in this thread actually list the immobilizer in the 96-98 as an advantage over a 95?
Old 12-19-2010, 02:03 PM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I would hope that's not the case...
Old 12-19-2010, 02:07 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Rinty
Howard:

A factor that hasn't been mentioned, I believe, is that the early '95s did not have the immobilizer (Porsche Drive Block), which can be a problem in the later models.
Not true,...

Drive Block was optional in '95 so some cars are equipped with this feature.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:21 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe I missed it from quickly scanning, but didn't the "'95 suspension issue" come from Joel Reiser's hissy fit in Panorama a few years back?

(If it wasn't Resier, I apologize in advance. But it WAS someone writing tech for Panorama, who has high level street and race experience.)
Old 12-19-2010, 02:38 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 350 Posts

TSB 9408 defined the changes that were made in 993 suspension

'96 up used the same supension as the late '95s

Quick Reply: Fiend says avoid '95 at all costs