Sponsored by:

Opinions on additional monitoring/gauges with supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 12:18 AM
clib
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Opinions on additional monitoring/gauges with supercharger

I am having a TPC Supercharger/intercooler installed in my 993 this winter. The engine is otherwise stock with catbypass.
I'm trying to decide on the value of additional monitoring. Options we are debating on are 1) nothing additional 2) install dedicated real-time gauge (such as inyourface gauge) for AFR, boost, EGT or other); 3) wire for something such as an innovate system to allow temporary monitoring/datalogging but not a permanent fixture. The latter could also do double duty, because I could use for example an LM2 to do some work on motorcycles I modify.

I'm not sure the value of the additional monitoring, but there is both a worried side of me that would like to know that there is no lean condition based on temp, fuel used, occasional DE day etc and a curious side that just finds that interesting. TPC indicated they don't usually install additional monitoring, nor has my shop typically.

For those out there with experience with modded engines any input? And what variable would be most relevant to monitor?

thanks
Old 12-18-2010, 03:40 AM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You're gonna need more than that. You would need
- wideband afr
- egt
- cht
- ait to monitor the excess heat of the sc
- knock indicator

And and alarm type system to alert you if any of those parameters exceed limit. I am in the process of setting up something like that.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:03 AM
axl911
Drifting

Here is what I am getting with my Zeitronix setup. I actually register and log knocks seen by the DME. My AFR cable was knocked loose during this trial run. The AIT is actually intake temperature after the intercooler. What doesn't show is my monitoring of cylinder head temp of #1,2,4, and 6.

This should give me a good idea of what going with my engine.
Attached Images  
Old 12-18-2010, 04:09 AM
axl911
Drifting

The really nice thing about the ZT2 is the programmable alarm. I am not going to be squinting at small gauges while accelerating. So I'll have to figure out what logic I want for the alarm.

Right off, I can think of if heavy throttle>50 and boost>xpsi and Rpm>3000, and if the ZT2 detects lean condition, then alarm me with a bright LED.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:09 AM
Akerlie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My experience is that the extra gauges is something you monitor the first couple of weeks after the modification, when you are pretty sure that you are not about to blow up your engine the extra information becomes much less interesting.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:16 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by Akerlie
My experience is that the extra gauges is something you monitor the first couple of weeks after the modification, when you are pretty sure that you are not about to blow up your engine the extra information becomes much less interesting.
while that may be true, they are wonderful troubleshooting tools, and given that you never know if you got bad gas, or whatever, you always want to monitor your gauges.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:29 PM
clib
Rennlist Member

thanks. axl911 what do you have inside the car, or do you just use for datalogging with a pc/handheld. I am not sure the relative benefits of periodic datalogging vs. real-time read-out vs. both. If you have a pic of the inside of you dash if you have something worked up and can post please do.
Old 12-18-2010, 03:48 PM
axl911
Drifting

I only have 2 devices to do all of that, Zeitronix ZT-2 and MGL TC-1. Here are how they look in my car. I am thinking of relocating the Zeitronix display which sits in the ashtray area to keep more of a stock look.

Old 12-18-2010, 04:04 PM
axl911
Drifting

I have an extra Zeitronix ZT-2 with the LCD display shown in my pic above. This is an earlier version with 1 extra user input instead of 2. I really wanted the 2nd user input. The unit is complete with the brain, wideband O2, cablings, AND the LCD display shown (which also has a peak reading for all the sensors at the press of a button). Although 1 version older, it has all the alarming functions as the newest one. I am looking for $325 + shipping for the whole setup.

IMO, the ZT2 is much cheaper than the Innovate stuff, and provides much more functionality out of the box. PM me if you're interested.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:12 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Axl, where are you pulling data from? did you splice into the ECU loom or are you getting it from the diagnostic port? Are you OBD1 or 2?

Regards,
Old 12-18-2010, 08:03 PM
axl911
Drifting

Trophy,

My car is OBD1 with the OBD2 connector. I used the diagnostic port...pin 11.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:27 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice work, I am putting an aftermarket ECU in my car, am always interested in seeing what people are doing...
Old 12-19-2010, 12:17 AM
clib
Rennlist Member

Axl - thanks for posting the pics of your setup. I checked the Zeitronix site - agree that for the money you get a lot more functionality than the innovate system. Have to think about exactly what I need.

Quick Reply: Opinions on additional monitoring/gauges with supercharger