993 Forum 1995-1998

Almost made a huge mistake today

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2010, 10:57 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
As so many others have said, a Ford Mustang for a 993??? WTF? Sounds like owning a 993 is just a lark for you or maybe a stepping stone. That makes sense if the next step is a Ferrari Maranello or a Ford GT. But a Mustang? You don't truly love the marque or the model.
This thread really changes my mind about this forum. I thought this place was filled with car guys. Apparently not.

Now Mark, please kindly inform me how you know he doesn't love porsche or the 993, because he thought about trading it in for a car with superior performance.

Just to give you folks an idea.

For $36,000, you get:

5.0L all aluminum DOHC V8 with variable valve timing producing approximately 420bhp and 400lb ft of torque
indestructible Tremec 6-Speed manual transmission
14inch Brembo 4 pistons up front, twin pistons in the rear

0-60 in 4.4 seconds
0-100 in 10.1
1/4 mile in 12.7 @111

.96 on the skidpad
60-0 in 108ft

Lapped willow springs in 87.76, less than a tenth off of the pace of a 2011 BMW M3.

How can anyone who considers themselves a car enthusiast think poorly of this?

Sure, you may not want one, and you may like your 993 better, but give the car some credit where credit is due.

Furthermore, mustangs have always performed well in reliability. Quality is on par for the price of the car.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:58 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

That's 'cuz you live in Jersey!!
A lousy stereotype is the best you can do?

Its a sad day for car enthusiasts when people can't see a good car past a brand name or pre-conceived notions.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:09 AM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That was funny.

"More Jagger-bombs chief"
Old 12-10-2010, 11:10 AM
uptheorg
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ClintonM3
... But there are as many good and professional people who work in the industry. ... You can't blame the dealer for trying to make a buck. ... The MSRP is merely what Ford, the manufacturer suggests that their franchised dealer may sell the car for. A dealer is allowed to markup just as they are allow to discount. ... The lack of outlets and lack of interests will always result in low trade value. ...
+1
Old 12-10-2010, 11:10 AM
Bouzoukikid
Instructor

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Quality is on par for the price of the car.
Exactly.

In relative terms, how much was the 993 when new. Big bucks!!!!

Not knocking the mustang, but Porsche is in a different league.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:15 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bouzoukikid
Exactly.

In relative terms, how much was the 993 when new. Big bucks!!!!

Not knocking the mustang, but Porsche is in a different league.
Yes it is all relative.

thats like a guy with a pagani Zonda calling the 993 poor quality.

Its simply a matter of quality for the price, at which both the mustang and the 993 are par for the course.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:58 AM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

This thread really changes my mind about this forum. I thought this place was filled with car guys. Apparently not.

Now Mark, please kindly inform me how you know he doesn't love porsche or the 993, because he thought about trading it in for a car with superior performance.

For $36,000, you get:

5.0L all aluminum DOHC V8 with variable valve timing producing approximately 420bhp and 400lb ft of torque

0-60 in 4.4 seconds
0-100 in 10.1
1/4 mile in 12.7 @111

.96 on the skidpad
60-0 in 108ft

Lapped willow springs in 87.76, less than a tenth off of the pace of a 2011 BMW M3.

Sure, you may not want one, and you may like your 993 better, but give the car some credit where credit is due.

Furthermore, mustangs have always performed well in reliability. Quality is on par for the price of the car.
When will you get it through your thick head? The 993 is THE BEST CAR EVER MADE IN ALL OF AUTOMOTIVE HISTORY!!! Nothing before or after could possibly compare - why do you think Porsche stopped making 911's after 1998...oh wait a minute.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:03 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 496 Likes on 320 Posts

For $36,000, you get:

0-60 in 4.4 seconds
0-100 in 10.1
1/4 mile in 12.7 @111

.96 on the skidpad
60-0 in 108ft

Let's look at it another way and with another car that is very similar: the Chevrolet Corvette. Like the Mustang, the Corvette has superior performance over the 993. I respect the Corvette's performance and think it's a great bang-for-the-buck. But, like the Mustang, I would never spend my hard-earned money on a Corvette via a 993 trade. Never. There are so many other cooler newer or older steeds out there. New Corvettes and Mustangs are simply cars that I would never want to own. I don't care that the 993 is not the performance paradigm that it once was; there is a quality, solidity, tactility, experience, and, yes, mystique to it that only a few cars have. That experience goes beyond mere performance numbers.

I have too much work to do before the weekend to spend much more time on this, so maybe I'm not stating what I think is the obvious very well.

A lousy stereotype is the best you can do?

Its a sad day for car enthusiasts when people can't see a good car past a brand name or pre-conceived notions.
It.
Was.
A.
Joke!

Old 12-10-2010, 12:12 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Reddy Kilowatt
Your broad brush description of car salespersons is a cheap shot.
Why then would Marketplace do a reportage on the industry?

Some very shady things were caught on hidden camera.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:16 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 644 Likes on 449 Posts

Cause to some, there is more to car ownership than pure numbers.

I sure hope a car 15 years newer in design is better, performance-wise.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:26 PM
porschemikeandnancy
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The responses to my original post have been entertaining to say the least. Our family have been car enthusiasts for four generations. No one can know why another person does something. In my case, growing grandaughters are why I've been thinking about a larger back seat - but I don't want a full sedan. The newest Mustangs are not bad cars. Ford is the only US manufacturer who made it on their own without Federal bailout money (which in my opinion was used to buy union votes for the democratic party). On that basis alone, I would give business to Ford over Chysler or GM.

As to life on the street with any car, there is a Lambo in my neighborhood. I've seen the driver pulled over at least four times. So really high end (say a 4 seat Ferrari) is not my first choice. Greater Seattle has among the worst traffic in the country. So any high performance car is mostly wasted in daily driving. The secondary roads have lots of elevation changes and twisty bits. So good handling is not only helpful but enjoyable. When you get down to it, almost every current car has better handling than cars from only 20 years ago.

Most roads in our area are smooth. Much better than the broken up pavement of roads back in the Northeast - with all the frost heaves, etc. So a live axle car (Mustang and many others) actually does okay around here. Also, when you look at a car prepared for use on the track, in most cases it is unsuitable for use on the road. Race cars stopped being road cars 20 years ago.

Last point about the 993. On a long road trip, the 993 is noisy. On a recent 2000 mile round trip - I found myself a bit tired at the end of a 600 mile day. And most convertibles (mine does not have the wind deflector) with top down wear you out even more quickly.

Given the "offers" that I received, it looks like the 993 will be with us for a couple more years.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:32 PM
verhag
Pro

Originally Posted by CalvinC4S
Whats wrong with drug dealers?

Other then selling you somthing that would move you to trade a 993 for a mustang?

Old 12-10-2010, 12:36 PM
JM993
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Exactly.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:38 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by IXLR8

I sure hope a car 15 years newer in design is better, performance-wise.
Originally Posted by jmarch
Exactly.
Gentleman, I even made note of that in an earlier post.

However, these things are purely subjective. Some people may think a 993 drives like an antique and the new mustang is a revelation. Thats a personal choice.

When you remove that from the equation and focus solely on the performance, you have to give Ford a lot of credit. This is an inexpensive performance car that delivers...period.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:42 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Let's look at it another way and with another car that is very similar: the Chevrolet Corvette. Like the Mustang, the Corvette has superior performance over the 993. I respect the Corvette's performance and think it's a great bang-for-the-buck. But, like the Mustang, I would never spend my hard-earned money on a Corvette via a 993 trade. Never. There are so many other cooler newer or older steeds out there. New Corvettes and Mustangs are simply cars that I would never want to own. I don't care that the 993 is not the performance paradigm that it once was; there is a quality, solidity, tactility, experience, and, yes, mystique to it that only a few cars have. That experience goes beyond mere performance numbers.

I have too much work to do before the weekend to spend much more time on this, so maybe I'm not stating what I think is the obvious very well.

It.
Was.
A.
Joke!

I understand what you are saying...now understand what I'm saying.

The 2011 mustang GT (and the corvette that you mentioned) deserve respect for being honest performance cars that deliver outstanding performance at a good price.

I'm not saying you have to like it or that you should buy one.

I simply don't think its fair to call this thing a POS, a different league, a 2 door buick, etc. Sure, mustangs of old were one trick ponies. This car is another world. Until you drive it, you won't realize it, and to judge it before doing so based on outdated notions is silly.

Quick Reply: Almost made a huge mistake today