Sponsored by:

all mid rise lift owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 08:37 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 201 Posts
Default all mid rise lift owners

I am in the process of installing a mid rise lift in a recessed location in my out building. Since the lift will be stationary...always running in the same tracks-should I be concerned with damage to the concrete slab?

I have a buddy who works for a fab shop, and I have lined up stainless strips-entire pit length by 12" wide for the rollers to travel on. I'm getting an exceptional price on the pieces, about $100 for both(2pcs 85"longx12" wide)

I went with stainless because, well why the hell not! It'll always look good, never rust, and who doesn't like shinny huh?

So, all you mid rise guys...seen any damage to the top surface of your concrete slab from the rollers?
Old 12-07-2010, 08:46 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd guess depends on the concrete and finish but yes... mine started pitting a bit so I added a couple of steel runners. They don't have to be that long or wide but it can't hurt

Having a steel surface to let the rollers ride on is a good idea in my opinion
Old 12-07-2010, 08:49 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Mine has already gotten a ton of use and hasn't done much more than worn through the epoxy flooring. I am going to install metal strips underneath though just in case. You only need about 12" of length, the rear legs don't travel much more than that.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:51 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkD
I'd guess depends on the concrete and finish but yes... mine started pitting a bit so I added a couple of steel runners. They don't have to be that long or wide but it can't hurt

Having a steel surface to let the rollers ride on is a good idea in my opinion
I thought full length would be good, in case that extra 1/4' thickness under the rollers would cause the platform to out of level at full rise. Afterall, 1/4' at the base...extended up 48" could be quite a bit out of level.

and as far as the width goes...the pit is almost 5" wider that the actual lift I choose(I was deciding between two different models when the final top slab was poured). The wheels are only 2" wide, so 12" gives me a just drop them in the hole and forget about it dimension.

thanks for the reply Mark
Old 12-07-2010, 08:56 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You won't notice any leveling issues even at full height with the plates. My floor is sloped much more than that, and I don't have any leveling issues. If you go full length, then you will need to go all the way across the front as well (at least my front on the bendpack is a bar that touches the ground all the way across the lift).

If you haven't gotten any yet, pick up some hockey pucks to use on top of the lift pads so you can reach the lift points without wider pads hitting side skirts, etc.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:17 PM
Tonydec
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Haven't noticed anything on my concrete. But based on the "pitting" comment above, I'll have to take a closer look next time it's up. At any rate, if there is anything, it's not noticeable at this point. Had it about 2 years or so.

I've just had smaller cars up, Porsche, Audi, Acura and Subaru's mostly.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:21 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
You won't notice any leveling issues even at full height with the plates. My floor is sloped much more than that, and I don't have any leveling issues. If you go full length, then you will need to go all the way across the front as well (at least my front on the bendpack is a bar that touches the ground all the way across the lift).

If you haven't gotten any yet, pick up some hockey pucks to use on top of the lift pads so you can reach the lift points without wider pads hitting side skirts, etc.
+1000 on the hockey pucks!

I have alum 1/4 thick x 12"W x 72"L (x2) and it's way overkill. To be honest 8"W x 24"L would be more than enough. Those rollers don't move as much as you might think and AL is more than sufficient.

Biggest issue I have with the lift is it sometimes wants to "walk" forward. Just put some kind of bar/block on the front crossbar of the lift to keep it from doing it.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:16 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 688 Likes on 478 Posts

The lift I will be getting runs in its own tracks.

I will however place a vinyl ribbed mat under the whole lift to keep it off the concrete which tends to hold moisture.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:19 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't need to go nuts. I just got some thick gauge strips of steel from home depot. It's probably 1 or 2 ft long - there isn't much travel on the lift.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:50 PM
randytrish
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've not noticed any wear on my floor, over two years of use.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:34 PM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If your concrete is new, then the wear is going to be higher, Older cured concrete tends to be more durable... If new i would put some metal down for runners.
Old 12-07-2010, 11:43 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 667 Likes on 280 Posts

For the price, it seems like a complete no-brainer.....
Old 12-08-2010, 08:18 AM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Agree with the Home Depot steel sheet concept. Works great. These photos were actual from my first purchase (thin aluminum, which ended up bending... the steel now works great)

Old 12-08-2010, 10:33 AM
LAURIER
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After many years and a lot of use the metal plates have protected both the carpet and floor.

Actually, the carpet keeps the metal plates in place and cuts down on the noise when raising and lowering the lift.

Last edited by LAURIER; 10-03-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:44 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 566 Likes on 390 Posts

I used some 3/8" al. hull plate cutouts we had laying around, under both the rollers and the pivot, I later added poly sheeting under the whole thing as there is a lot of moisture that out-gases from the concrete. ss is a good alternative. They do have a tendency to walk

I left the carpet loose so that I can roll it up when doing anything that will be messy

Quick Reply: all mid rise lift owners