Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 202 Posts

bicycle bottle cage...$6-if you don't already have one
4"x4" angle bracket-$2
1/4" hardware to attach bottle cage to bracket-$1
black spray paint-$4

15 minutes of your time...

Does limit the forward most position of the pass seat, but is perfectly located and almost invisable. Holds a standard water bottle, or a stainless coffee mug perfectly...regardless of how "sporty" you feel.
Attached Images   
Old 12-07-2010, 08:26 PM
944/951guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Germans didnt put cup holders in there Porsches for a reason! It should stay that way.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:38 PM
NickyP
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

A roll of duct tape in the passenger's footwell also works very well.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:48 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 944/951guy
Germans didnt put cup holders in there Porsches for a reason! It should stay that way.
+1
Old 12-07-2010, 10:37 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by hoggel
I have a great cupholder. Sometimes she drives and I hold the cups.
What size?
Old 12-07-2010, 10:47 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Seriously, though, my 993 is a daily driver. As was my previous 993.

Here's my last weekend. Drive to NYC at 6PM on Saturday half asleep after a long day. Deal with things there. Drive back Sunday at 11AM with no sleep. Do you think I needed some coffee on that 3.5 hour drive? And I don't even drink coffee normally.

I use aforementioned Jetta/Passat cup holder. Great thing, completely out of the way when not used. They were pretty cheap before, but harder to get and more expensive now. I actually use it on long trips. I can bet that those of us that drive the car long distance mostly use cup holders of some sort.

And, oh, Germans did not put a number of things in their cars. Like reliable electronics, efficient air conditioners, non-crumbling plastics, non-drying rubber. And, yes, cup holders. They had massive ashtrays instead. I'm not even commenting on that tradeoff. Luckily, Lexus and Infiniti came in 1990 and showed them a few things, including diminishing market share. Learned 'em real good. By late 90s there were cup holders and better cars coming out of Germany (this is not about Porsche, actually, just about all other German cars as Porsche still danced to their tune at that time. Although by late 90s they had cup holders as well).
Old 12-07-2010, 10:51 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by nile13
Like reliable electronics, efficient air conditioners, non-crumbling plastics, non-drying rubber. And, yes, cup holders. They had massive ashtrays instead.
Funny. And point well taken. I imagine if Porsche had been a French company the glove box would have been the ash tray....
Old 12-07-2010, 11:01 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CorrdoBrit
Funny. And point well taken. I imagine if Porsche had been a French company the glove box would have been the ash tray....
Based on my rental cars in France the last 6-7 years... it usually is
Old 12-08-2010, 12:39 AM
shadow993
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
bicycle bottle cage...$6-if you don't already have one
4"x4" angle bracket-$2
1/4" hardware to attach bottle cage to bracket-$1
black spray paint-$4

15 minutes of your time...

Does limit the forward most position of the pass seat, but is perfectly located and almost invisable. Holds a standard water bottle, or a stainless coffee mug perfectly...regardless of how "sporty" you feel.
I dig your design and the cost.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:47 AM
DanL993
button queen

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Keadog
+1 for the Inventiva. There seems to be two camps: those that think anyone using a cupholder in a 993 should have the car taken away from them, and those that occasionally want to drink (black) coffee while they drive, say, to work in the morning and are smart enough not to drive like a maniac while doing so. I love my Inventiva cupholder and use it frequently, but not always. I would much rather have it and not use it than not have it. Burgers, fries and sodas, No.
Let's try that another way--there are two camps: those who drive the car and those who use it for plebian transport.

YGBSM!! How can you drive these beautiful creations and NOT stay in the moment of the experience, even if it's only your DD?? GEEZ, I don't even play the radio!
Old 12-08-2010, 08:58 AM
993Maineiac
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by DanL993
Let's try that another way--there are two camps: those who drive the car and those who use it for plebian transport.

YGBSM!! How can you drive these beautiful creations and NOT stay in the moment of the experience, even if it's only your DD?? GEEZ, I don't even play the radio!
Try driving cross country-I have 3 times-without one. As Nile13 said there are many things they didn't do and the VW item folds and is almost invisible with a black carpet. And might I note that Porsche now does put them in.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:00 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

How many people were complaining about lack of Bluetooth in Porsche's? Many on this forum have swapped out their stock radios for newer models to get Bluetooth (I haven't). BMW had it long before Porsche did. Just talk to LTC about the arrogance of Porsche mgmt. when it came to designing the audio systems and how common modern features were left out for no discernible reason.

I'm driving my Cayenne about 1700 miles over the next week, would be much less pleasurable w/out a cupholder (or a radio). Wish I was doing it in the 993 but it's engine is still on my garage floor.

When I bought the car I drove 1600 mi. back from AZ, most annoying w/out the holder.

Dan, you're more than welcome to drive 1600 mi. w/ nothing but the sound of the engine and a dry throat but not me.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:57 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DanL993

You certainly can. How many miles do you have on yours?

Oh, you don;t _have_ to have a drink in a cup holder even 5% of the time. Same way you don;t need a radio, air conditioner, interior lights, roll up windows, reclining seats, carpets, glove box, rear seat. Stay in the moment! Have I missed anything particularly plebian?

I can't believe that I'm actually defending cupholders in a Porsche. But, as Bill and Mainiac above and many others, I've driven my 993s cross-country with the first one taking a 2-week 4,600 mile trip. Without a cupholder. Not a big deal, I drink iced tea from crew-top bottles. But once a good simple light and cheap solution was found (VW dual cupholder) I was happy to have it for those rare occasions when I need one.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 944/951guy
This.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:50 PM
2Many Cars
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Germans didnt put cup holders in there Porsches for a reason!
Anyone out there who's German should weigh in but the story I've always heard is that for most Germans eating or drinking in one's car is just not done, as a result for a very long time manufacturers of German cars didn't even think about putting in cup holders. We boorish Americans mostly think differently about eating in our cars, something the Japanese picked up on and forced the German manufacturers to reconsider. I'm totally OK with having cup holders in my cars; whether I'll use them or not is another story.

Quick Reply: 993 cup holder on eBay right now