Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield replacement - 95 993 C2

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 05:35 PM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

It must be OE glass (vegla) and an OE window rubber/ seal. The pattern glass is much cheaper but can, apparently, break more easily during installation. The restoration company that has done mine twice (don't ask) in the last ten years tells me that the pattern stuff can squeak more once installed (they may have been biased). If they use a cheese cutter to get the old seal off they can scrape paint off which later rusts...
Old 12-08-2010, 07:59 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by matt777
I understood that but they are accepting the liability if the glass gets damaged or leaks, etc. Windshields are fragile and I have proven that myself by breaking a few - one while it was out of the car and one trying to remove it.
I also took my car to a high end shop for some minor paint/body work and they failed miserably with that. I just want things done correctly the first time without having to consume a case of antacids contemplating which idiot is going to work on my car!!! As you can tell my track record with services (home/auto) are not the best.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:11 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, you just need to use a good glass company, which is usually not the cheapest. Beware of morons who cut the paint getting the old glass because it was cause rust issues later down the road. You will probably have to pony for a new seal and molding as well.

I have a good place if you are in Denver.
Old 12-08-2010, 11:07 PM
jwalz
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Sure. There's a high end body shop called Eli's Independent on 3rd St. one block east of La Cienega, right near the Beverly Center.

I found them because I used to have an M3 and they were the BMW approved body shop for Beverly Hills BMW. Over time I realized they were also the go to shop for Beverly Hills Porsche. And Mercedes.

They've probably done as much body and glass work on Porsches than any shop in L.A. So when it was time to do my windshield, I knew Danny over at Eli's would do a good job. And he did.
thanks, Bro...know right where it's at...going to make a note of this...appreciate it!
Old 03-05-2011, 01:41 AM
rjrosk
6th Gear

The 993 is a tough windshield install. You can't avoid some paint damage inside the glass opening during the trimming of the old urethane adhesive. Any of this damage is a threat leading to future corrosion issues. We thoroughly scrutinize the body opening for this damage and treat with a two-part epoxy primer in preparation for bonding the new glass. When both the glass and opening are prepped and ready, we apply the correctly sized urethane adhesive bead to the glass, and two technicians carefully set the windshield into the body. This is how Porsche specs the procedure, and it insures that full adhesive contact is achieved for both the glass and body. Naturally, it does require an elevated level of skill to position the windshield properly, insert the antenna lead correctly in its port, and not end up with urethane oozing on the inside (or outside) of the vehicle. After we are satisfied with the position of the glass in the opening (horizontal and vertical), we check the profile of the glass in relation to the cowl and roof and adjust as required to duplicate the original aerodynamic position of the windshield. Just a finishing touch.

If you think you can receive this level of precision when one guy shows up to do yours' in a half hour, I'll clue you in - your getting screwed.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:39 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by rjrosk
The 993 is a tough windshield install. You can't avoid some paint damage inside the glass opening during the trimming of the old urethane adhesive. Any of this damage is a threat leading to future corrosion issues. We thoroughly scrutinize the body opening for this damage and treat with a two-part epoxy primer in preparation for bonding the new glass. When both the glass and opening are prepped and ready, we apply the correctly sized urethane adhesive bead to the glass, and two technicians carefully set the windshield into the body. This is how Porsche specs the procedure, and it insures that full adhesive contact is achieved for both the glass and body. Naturally, it does require an elevated level of skill to position the windshield properly, insert the antenna lead correctly in its port, and not end up with urethane oozing on the inside (or outside) of the vehicle. After we are satisfied with the position of the glass in the opening (horizontal and vertical), we check the profile of the glass in relation to the cowl and roof and adjust as required to duplicate the original aerodynamic position of the windshield. Just a finishing touch.

If you think you can receive this level of precision when one guy shows up to do yours' in a half hour, I'll clue you in - your getting screwed.
Do you make house calls? in Maryland?

Andreas
Old 03-05-2011, 11:59 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by rjrosk

I know where I am going when it is time for a new windshield! PM the details if you would.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:39 PM
verhag
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just had this done in Phoenix last week. Member suggested Specialty Auto Glass as experts..and they were...they insisted on using OEM glass, my insurance balked at first, then stepped up to the plate and covered it all....roughly $1100 - $1200. Specialty specialized in high end cars and installer was great.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:45 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone in Atlanta have any recommendations? I have to get mine done.
Old 03-06-2011, 09:53 PM
rjrosk
6th Gear

We did have a customer bring his 911 from Toronto to Cleveland to have us replace his windshield. No road calls to Maryland though.

It never hurts to get a solid referral from your favorite Porsche dealer or repair shop. If they have confidence in the company they use, you'll probably get a decent job. I would push your installer on the corrosion management issue though - a little care during the replacement could save you potential rust headaches down the road.

But if nothing short of engineering grade will do, a road trip to Cleveland may be the ticket.

Joe Roskoph
Glass Systems Inc.
Independence, OH

Last edited by rjrosk; 03-06-2011 at 10:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Windshield replacement - 95 993 C2