Need help - WEVO C2 mount for C4S

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 03:27 PM
tropheus
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 32 Posts
Question Need help - WEVO C2 mount for C4S

Hi,
I'm planning to upgrade my motor mounts and was thinking going with the WEVO ones. Now, they all say that they fit for C2 but nobody can truly say if they will fit to a C4S too.

Has anybody here experience if they will fit in a C4S?

Here is the link

http://www.wevo.com/Products/Chassis...gineMounts.htm

http://www.stableenergies.com/WEVO-1...W-C2ENGINE-BL/

Thx for input and clarification.

Jack
Old 12-03-2010, 04:26 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 271 Likes on 202 Posts

I got the Wevo blue's...they fit all 993's-it was just recently discussed. Black or blue pillow's is your only choices.

great improvement, well worth the money.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:52 PM
mcipseric
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

i just did the OEM RS motor mounts and i am thrilled. I did not go with the wevo because i wanted to maintain the OEM look.
Old 12-04-2010, 03:00 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

My Wevo mounts are on the way but I do not know if I will use the enforcement carriers from Rennline (http://www.rennline.com/newssection.asp?dept=808). The feedback in the forum is kind of mixed. Some have no issues without them after years even on the track and some had broken carriers.
Old 12-04-2010, 04:26 PM
mcipseric
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

i might re-enforce the carrier when the engine comes out. i don't think it is an urgent upgrade.
Something to think about, the re-enforced carrier also had to deal with a 3.8 engine and associated differences.....
Old 12-04-2010, 05:24 PM
EckFe1
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Jack,
all the guys that answered to your question haven't really answered it yet. The C4 and the C2 dimensions for the mount are different. I have a C2 and purchased turbo mounts, which are the same as C4's. The hole pattern and dims are the same with one exception. The bolt length of the center rod in connection with the square insert that goes into the carrier hole isn't the same. Meaning by installing C2 mounts, your motor will be exactly 9mm lower then with the correct C4 mounts.
To answer your question correctly, you can't use the C2 Wevos for your setup. There might be a machine shop that can redo them but I'm not familiar with the Wevo parts so I better stop here.
Send me a PM, if you want to see some pics of the stock C2 versus C4 mount. I haven't uploaded any of my install pics but I can email them to you.
Ed
Old 12-05-2010, 09:07 AM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

EckFel, can you explain the 9mm more? Are you saying a C4 or tubo motor sits 9mm higher from the factory? I can't quite picture what you mean. Would the same 9mm exist between C4S mounts and RS mounts?
Old 12-05-2010, 09:35 AM
tropheus
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EckFe1
Jack,
all the guys that answered to your question haven't really answered it yet. The C4 and the C2 dimensions for the mount are different. I have a C2 and purchased turbo mounts, which are the same as C4's. The hole pattern and dims are the same with one exception. The bolt length of the center rod in connection with the square insert that goes into the carrier hole isn't the same. Meaning by installing C2 mounts, your motor will be exactly 9mm lower then with the correct C4 mounts.
To answer your question correctly, you can't use the C2 Wevos for your setup. There might be a machine shop that can redo them but I'm not familiar with the Wevo parts so I better stop here.
Send me a PM, if you want to see some pics of the stock C2 versus C4 mount. I haven't uploaded any of my install pics but I can email them to you.
Ed
Ed,
Thx for the great input!!! I have send you an email.

Jack
Old 12-05-2010, 12:12 PM
EckFe1
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Hi guys,
the height difference comes from the engine carrier dims. The turbo and C4 carrier end points are lower then from the C2 model. I installed turbo mounts in my C2. Everything fit OK until I tightened the center rod. The motor kept going higher and higher until the exhaust tips hit the bumper. At this point I stopped and measured out the old C2 versus new C4 or turbo mounts. The height difference came out to 9mm. I machined a spacer to compensate and tried it again. It goes onto the center rod and mounts between the top of the engine carrier and the bottom of the motor mount.
So if you take a C2 mount, which is longer, and install it to a C4 engine carrier, the motor will remain 9mm lower when everything is tightened. With a 4wd car, the whole tranny and cardan shaft level will be way off. That can't be good. You can now either machine the wevo mounts or buy a C2 engine carrier, maybe reinforce it and install it in a C4 engine bay.
Paul, the C4 engine isn't lower then the C2. The difference is the engine carrier.
Ed
Old 12-05-2010, 12:25 PM
tropheus
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by EckFe1
Hi guys,
the height difference comes from the engine carrier dims. The turbo and C4 carrier end points are lower then from the C2 model. I installed turbo mounts in my C2. Everything fit OK until I tightened the center rod. The motor kept going higher and higher until the exhaust tips hit the bumper. At this point I stopped and measured out the old C2 versus new C4 or turbo mounts. The height difference came out to 9mm. I machined a spacer to compensate and tried it again. It goes onto the center rod and mounts between the top of the engine carrier and the bottom of the motor mount.
So if you take a C2 mount, which is longer, and install it to a C4 engine carrier, the motor will remain 9mm lower when everything is tightened. With a 4wd car, the whole tranny and cardan shaft level will be way off. That can't be good. You can now either machine the wevo mounts or buy a C2 engine carrier, maybe reinforce it and install it in a C4 engine bay.
Paul, the C4 engine isn't lower then the C2. The difference is the engine carrier.
Ed
Ed,

Again, thx for the detailed explaiantion and sharing your experience. As for the C4S - is this like the turbo and C4 body or by any chance more like the C2?

Jack
Old 12-05-2010, 01:42 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

All good info because the Wevo mounts are on the way for my 4S.

I think the best information for me would be from a 4S owner (not Turbo, not S, not regular C4) that installed the Wevo mounts in a 4S. This would give me the final confidence in preperation of the job.
Old 12-05-2010, 01:51 PM
Roche993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by e9stibi
All good info because the Wevo mounts are on the way for my 4S.

I think the best information for me would be from a 4S owner (not Turbo, not S, not regular C4) that installed the Wevo mounts in a 4S. This would give me the final confidence in preperation of the job.

My thoughts exactly. Mine are also on the way and what I thought was good to go now seems 9mm off. I know there are others (Magdaddy-I believe) who have installed them in a C4S and have not had issues with this. I dont even think Wevo makes a C4 mount that I am aware of. I just thaought the C2 mount worked with all 993's. Will someone convince me (and others) that the C2 Wevo mounts are fine for a C4S?
Old 12-05-2010, 02:15 PM
dommorton
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have C4 mounts on my C2S and many other UK 993 owners have done the same as the C4 mount is a little stiffer than the fluid filled C2 version.

I had to adjust my tips when installing as the engine lifted up a bit. However I understood it to be because the fluid filled mounts had sagged, and stretched as they were worn out. By fitting the harder new C4 mounts the motor was lifted to it's original correct position.

I did wonder about the much longer bolt thread on the C4 mounts when I installed them, but the body of the mount looked to be roughly the same dimensions side by side off the car?
Old 12-05-2010, 03:17 PM
Paul902
Three Wheelin'

Thanks, Ed, et al, this is making more sense. So does the centre shaft of the mount connect only to the carrier, and the engine is directly bolted to the carrier? What carrier did the RS have? I'm wondering if RS mounts will work on a 4S without modification.
Old 12-05-2010, 04:37 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

There must be photos on the forum showing the different mounts side by side. I think I have seen them. I will search. Has anyone else seen them?

Quick Reply: Need help - WEVO C2 mount for C4S