Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Store MPSC's for the Winter?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 10:06 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Actually, Pilot Sport Cups are one R compound I've personally considered undriveable with ~30F ambient early on a track day. Not that we ever raced when it was that cold, but I had plenty of opportunity to test/practice with the RSA racer way back when during Dec/Jan. I could go look at all of my notes, but I'll bet I switched to exclusively running the Kumhos when it got cold.

(And note about 'Kooks in the cold. They didn't like semi-unplowed 2-3" snow at about 20F Thursday AM on the EZ run from the freeway to the ski resort.)
Old 11-29-2010, 10:15 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Received 499 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Magdaddy

I would guess that actually driving a car with MPSC's on it in near freezing temps would be no good for the tires either? I realize that traction is effected, but actual physical damage can result from these babies getting cold?
Not from my experience with them in....snow.

Originally Posted by race911
Actually, Pilot Sport Cups are one R compound I've personally considered undriveable with ~30F ambient early on a track day.

Yep, MPSC's need some time to get heat in them on a cold day. They are a terrible race tire on the first practice session of a cold fall or spring day.

Andreas and I drove in the first snow of the year back in 2005 or so. SNOW! I was on MPSC's and they were terrible since they could not get any heat in them. Andreas was wondering why I wasn't driving faster, but he had no idea how bad MPSC's are in frozen temps.
Attached Images  
Old 11-30-2010, 09:46 AM
cohare
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
Define non-heated. If your garage gets below freezing, this is not ideal for R comps and (true) slicks. However, if non-heated means that it gets to 45 degrees, I guarantee that your MPSC's will be fine. I have an attached garage and put a small oil-filled heater in it to keep the temps at 50 degrees or higher.

They might flat spot, but the flat spotting will go away. I have left Hoosier R6's, MPSC's and BFG R1's on my car from October to May, and they have all been just fine.

They will not dry rot over one winter. As Lewis said, keep them away from ozone (generated from motors) and keep them off of concrete (can't recall why but I heard it on the innernet so it must be true). Bag them up if you want to, but I have turned excellent lap times on S04's (Hoosier), R6's and R1's that had been sitting uncovered/unwrapped for two years or more.

Mark - you always have the answers. So I currently have a small electric heater in there now, is that the type of motor that will generate ozone? thanks!
Old 11-30-2010, 09:57 AM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cohare
Mark - you always have the answers. So I currently have a small electric heater in there now, is that the type of motor that will generate ozone? thanks!
The heater has a motor? I would probably get an oil-filled one instead. I would think that they're more efficient, and the lack of a motor means that there's no ozone issue.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:19 PM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bagged and tagged. Sitting in the basement on an old Persian carpet. Tires have it good.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:22 PM
Mark in Baltimore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sam N
Bagged and tagged. Sitting in the basement on an old Persian carpet. Tires have it good.
Sounds more like a fancy morgue.
Old 11-30-2010, 03:52 PM
Sam N
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Think I've been watching too many old episodes of The Wire.
Old 11-30-2010, 09:51 PM
cohare
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

No I just think its an elecrtric coil that heats up.

Originally Posted by Mark in Baltimore
The heater has a motor? I would probably get an oil-filled one instead. I would think that they're more efficient, and the lack of a motor means that there's no ozone issue.

Quick Reply: Store MPSC's for the Winter?