Sponsored by:

QUESTION - RS Sway Bar Adjustments

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 03:22 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Default QUESTION - RS Sway Bar Adjustments

My car has a rear RS bar with 3 holes for adjustments installed (see picture from rennsport systems).

Which hole relative to the middle position as shown in the pic is used for the "softest" setting which is supposed to reduce under steer?

Thanks
Attached Images  
Old 11-27-2010, 03:29 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 250 Posts

The longer the lever arm the "softer" the bar... So the end hole is the softest....

edit: and you are correct, In a car that is oversteering, the rear tires are loosing grip before the fronts because they are overworked. By softening the rear of the car (or tightening the front) you move the load to the front tires.

edit:edit: you also need to ask yourself "where" is the car oversteering? corner entry, exit, or steady state?
Old 11-27-2010, 03:50 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So do you change the setting on the bars depending on which track you use, or do you find the setting that works for you and stick to it? The same goes for the street (my car performs street and DE duties), do you "loosen" things up for the street and "tighten" them back down for the track?

Thanks,
--Joe
Old 11-27-2010, 03:57 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 286 Posts

Unless you just love messing with your swaybar all the time, my suggestion would be to set the rear bar where it will give you the kind of handling you enjoy, probably slight oversteer for most. Then "dial in" more or less with slight tire pressure adjustments.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:29 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Floodj
So do you change the setting on the bars depending on which track you use, or do you find the setting that works for you and stick to it? The same goes for the street (my car performs street and DE duties), do you "loosen" things up for the street and "tighten" them back down for the track?

Thanks,
--Joe
The factory manual specifically say to only run the bars in there middle setting on the street.

My opinion though.... The changes from setting to setting are very slight and only perceptible when getting very close to the limits of adhesion... A properly setup car will perform well in the middle setting under "normal" conditions. You then use the bar to tune the car to an "abnormal" situation (tires going off, wanting more or less oversteer for an important corner, etc)...

The race car, for instance, is optimized for the track and I need to be 100% on the gas (transferring a lot of weight to the rear) for the car to be balanced on corner exit. This would not be good on the street (most folks don't appreciate that kind of behavior on public roads) and I may want to detune some of that by softening the rear, but even then I don’t think there is enough adjustability in the bar to dial it completely out....

just my 2 cents

Quick Reply: QUESTION - RS Sway Bar Adjustments