Jic 993 users, what spring rate you using ?Hows it feel

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 12:18 AM
moots
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jic 993 users, what spring rate you using ?Hows it feel

Hi
Ok obsessing about suspension right now, I am installing JIC cross coilovers next week and just putting things together. I am trying to decide between 7/10 springs and 8/11 The cars not a daily driver but will mostly be used on the roads however I am hoping to get more and more track day in, so I want something that can grow with me as my skill levels increase. My question is what spring rates are you guys are using and how do you like the ride, does it work etc. what are your recommendations.
Thanks you your help
Old 11-27-2010, 02:19 AM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought mine used with 8/11, but I haven't installed them yet and can't comment. I will watching the replies with interest. What sways are you going with?
Old 11-27-2010, 08:37 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 678 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by moots
My question is what spring rates are you guys using...
Wouldn't it be great if manufacturers of both OEM and aftermarket springs would publish that data so that comparisons could be made. I asked that question some time ago.
Old 11-27-2010, 10:33 AM
gjones1735
Advanced

Hi All,

I just finished re-installing my JIC's Tuesday. I own a 1995 993 coupe and use the standard 8 / 11 springs ( the new style gray ones ). The car came with the JIC coilovers and I just had them re-built using the new pistons and seals to bring them up to date. Like you, I use the car as a daily driver as well as one or two multi-day track events a year. The car also has a stiff TRG anti-roll bar and tower strut. I vary the ride height between ROW and ROW Sport depending on what I'm doing with the car. Likewise, I vary the JIC dampers from soft to medium hard depending on if I'm around town or on the track.

I would describe the ride around town as firm but very precise. You know that you are in a perfromance car but it's not harsh like a true track car. Since I had them re-built I've noticed that they are smoother. Their performance on the track is outstanding. I do run them in combination with a lowered car and with a heavy anti-roll bar and tower strut so it's tough for me to say that track performance is due only to the JIC's. Now's the time to do the other stuff if you want to as you have to remove and re-install the anti-roll bar anyway and the tower strut attaches to the top of the front camber plates.

Important! Although I did all this work myself; the final set-up and alignment really needs to be done in a dedicated Porsche shop with the proper equipment and by someone who really understands Porsche 911 racing suspensions. I installed everything and then drove it to Lufteknic in Richmond, VA to have the shop owner, Robert, do the final set-up and alignment work himself.

Have fun,

George Jones
Williamsburg, VA
Old 11-27-2010, 11:05 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by moots
Hi
Ok obsessing about suspension right now, I am installing JIC cross coilovers next week and just putting things together. I am trying to decide between 7/10 springs and 8/11 The cars not a daily driver but will mostly be used on the roads however I am hoping to get more and more track day in, so I want something that can grow with me as my skill levels increase. My question is what spring rates are you guys are using and how do you like the ride, does it work etc. what are your recommendations.
Thanks you your help
When I first installed JIC on my car I used 7/10 because LRP(the main venue) was a bumpy nightmare for stiffly sprung cars, It was great for that and for street use, moving on a few years, LRP was repaved and not so much street use anymore so 8/12 went on, I didn't like the body roll associated w/ 7/10. This is great for smooth track use and occasional street use. I use 12 in back rather than 11 to reduce understeer.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:05 PM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 10k front and 14k rear and surprisingly it's not that bad. This was supposed to be a track setup but haven't seen much track use. I think 7/10 is their soft for street use and I would go for this combo instead of a PSS10 setup.
Old 11-27-2010, 06:14 PM
moots
Advanced

Wow 10-14 that sounds serious, what sway bars are you using?

Quick Reply: Jic 993 users, what spring rate you using ?Hows it feel