993 Forum 1995-1998

OBDII Success Story

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 04:26 PM
johnnyC4S
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default OBDII Success Story

It was that time of year again for my registration and needed to go to the Test Only smog station for the check and certificate. The technician came to me after running the test to tell me that the test results were fine but that it failed the OBDII - NONE of the flags were tripped.

This was all new to me until I came home and jumped on Rennlist and saw all the posts and frustration on this topic. I did not have the time or patience to try and solve the problem on my own so I called my mechanic - Bob Grigsby, at RMG Enterprises in Sunnyvale. Bob said they have had considerable success on this issue - bring it in and they would do their best to run the car through the paces and hopefully get all the flags to trip. I brought it in yesterday morning and Bob had DL run the car through the paces - starting with the car idling for 10 minutes or so and then for a careful run on the 280 freeway. The good news is they were able to get all of the flags to trip and then run through it one more time to complete the process. Took about two hours. From Bob's shop I went directly to the Test Only station and successfully ran through the test and the record was sent off to Sacramento!

I also purchased a CTEK 3000 battery maintainer connecting directly to the battery - did not feel comfortable going the cigarette lighter route. I will NEVER let my battery go dead again. Thanks to all the great people who post here - was incredibly helpful working through this problem.
Old 11-24-2010, 10:30 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Congrats and cheers to Bob at RMG ...
Old 11-25-2010, 12:36 AM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After a battery replacement several years ago, I drove my car about 50 miles of normal local and freeway driving and the OBDII flags all reset themselves.

Quick Reply: OBDII Success Story