Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trade 993 for GT3

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 12:48 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Where will you drive it? I almost bought one 3 years ago as our OTHER local GT3 trader-upper (aside from Mooty) was transitioning from a US 996 one to a 997 version. (He'd already had a Mk1 when in England, and now has a '10.)

Ultimately, it strikes me as nothing other than a mass production car that's sold to someone who has enough money to buy one. Realize I'm coming from 30 years of these things, and started with a short wheelbase "original"; moving up as each generation got to be about 10 years old.

Is the driving experience better? I don't doubt it, in the abstract. Other than winding it out in lower gears, where will you drive it with purpose on a US road? So then you're left with sitting in that interior, looking at that dash, shifting that cable shift mechanism..............uh huh.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:48 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 101 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
, shifting that cable shift mechanism..............uh huh.

Funny you mention that Linkage is so much more direct!!
Old 11-23-2010, 02:13 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 312 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by H.H.Chinn
The 996GT3 is a formidable car no doubt, but personally I can't get over the headlights.
from the drivers seat one cannot see the scramble egg headlights.
Old 11-23-2010, 07:07 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 872 Likes on 574 Posts

Originally Posted by H.H.Chinn
The 996GT3 is a formidable car no doubt, but personally I can't get over the headlights.
Originally Posted by chris walrod
I've given serious thought to trading my turbo for a GT3. Yes, the headlights are very hard to overlook!!
buy a white car, then they don't look so bad.
dark colors are the worst imo.

cheers

Craig
Old 11-23-2010, 10:52 PM
ssarchi
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

then get a 997 gt3 and all of these issues go away....

what's the spread: 25k ???
Old 11-24-2010, 12:12 AM
SoCalDan
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 71 Posts

I've owned my 996GT3 for about 1.5 years now. I originally looked at a number of 993s (C2S, C4S). I remember when the 993s first came out and I loved everything about the car. The interior was so simple, but well built, the sound of the doors, the feel of the shifter. The performance was amazing back in 1997 when I first drove one.

The 996 GT3 is another universe all together however. The performance is simply amazing and you have to really pay attention so as to not get yourself in trouble around town. I chose it over the turbo or a 997 C2S because even at 45 mph it's a very rewarding car to drive. Unlike the 993, you have to be "on" all the time, especially if you're driving with a bit more spirit than usual. There is so much power and it comes so fast and is so easy to apply that I find myself pulling hard out of lights, accelerating onto freeways, etc., and it's so well balanced and poised that it doesn't look like it's even trying hard. You don't need to track the GT3 to enjoy it. There are some that drive it every day. I put 15K miles on mine last year and will probably do another 15K this year.

Regarding the cost of ownership, the engine is bullet proof and the car has been designed to drive full out all day at the track. Someone made a comment about alignment. GMG charges $250 or so to align it. That's it. Tires are the most expensive routine cost at $500 a piece for the rear PS2s. Because of the low profile set up, you have to be careful where you drive it. I can't go up many driveways or into some underground parking lots. But I don't really care, because on the road it is ground hooked like nothing else I've ever driven.

Regarding comparing it to the 997 GT3, I drove that as well. The body is more similar to the 993, so some people like that better. You also get a sunroof, whether you like it or not. You do get an updated car for the money, but as most will tell you, it's not as visceral or hardcore as the 996 GT3. Having said that, you might find the 997 more to your liking depending on your preferences. Personally, I chose the simpler car without any driver aids and I'm very happy with my decision.

I could go on about how much I enjoy the car, but you have to experience it for yourself. And try to drive more than one, as they can drive completely different depending on the suspension set up.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:47 AM
windydog
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well thanks so much for the great information. As for the reason, I also need to get the wife another car so money is somewhat tight. The alternative is to teach her to drive a manual and let her drive my other cars :-(.

I have done all the comparisons and i think the only thing that would satisfy the itch is a re-gearing. The only thing that concerns me is the RMS issues on the GT3's. I have researched the 996's seem to not have the issues of the 997 GT3's. Also it has a sunroof...

I am still on the fence.
Old 11-24-2010, 01:06 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,749 Likes on 2,355 Posts

i read my good friend, race911's post, i'll amend my post.

ken, you almost bought larry's???

to my eyes, 993 looks better than 996, 996 is love hate relationship, thus i owned 6 of them. can't decide to sell or buy. in fact today, i called my mechanic to stop work on my 6, b/c i was thinking selling it again.. i had it fro 6 months. dump $40k into it on top of the car's cost..... i digress.

if you want to just drive, 964 993 are more than capable and fast. 996gt3 is too fast for street. i dont drive it on streets at all. and my 997RS is way too fast. i get a ticket as soon as i clear my garage door. it's not been driven for a long time. why i bought it, i have no idea. but i wanted to sell it b/c it's too fasst and i have a track car for that.

so think carefully, what you want to do with the car.

that aside, 996gt3 is much more capable than a 993 stock to stock, with equal driver. but will you have a venue to use it?
Old 11-24-2010, 01:15 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i read my good friend, race911's post, i'll amend my post.

ken, you almost bought larry's???
We were only $2K apart, actually. But since I'd bought the yellow car from Kim 4-5 months before, it didn't make much sense. Would have sold the C4S. So I kept ~$70K in cars, and didn't buy a (after tax paid) $65K car. And then I would have spent $3-5-7K fiddling with Larry's car, right? And I wouldn't have been faster around the track. But I would have been frustrated using something like that as a commuter.

Quick Reply: trade 993 for GT3